Vaccination

2 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I’m absolutely smarter than an antivaxxer or someone spouting paranoid conspiracy theories. But that isn’t very self-congratulatory.  You set the bar extremely low.

who said I was a antivaxxer? 

(I’m absolutely smarter?)  is that your new conspiracy theory . 

Congratulations once again . 

Edited by phantom

4 minutes ago, luberhill said:

So a year from now will we see tv commercials asking if you took the Covid vaccine , you may be entitled to a settlement ,..

I will take that over watching the TV every minute of kids not going to school, 280,000 + people dead, stories of overflowing hospitals, watching first responders crying cause they feel helpless, people being intebated, quarantines, unable to have family get togethers, celebrate holidays, seeing people's faces covered with masks....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I will take that over watching the TV every minute of kids not going to school, 280,000 + people dead, stories of overflowing hospitals, watching first responders crying cause they feel helpless, people being intebated, quarantines, unable to have family get togethers, celebrate holidays, seeing people's faces covered with masks....

Fine , that’s your choice ! Good luck 

Hey Versatile, I like the way you think, but I know that there's an often-spoken opinion at the top that the clarity of the message can trump its accuracy. IMHO, that can turn around and bite us in the keister. I'd rather give people the facts and let them make up their own mind, even if it's not necessarily the outcome that health care professionals would like to see. 

Unfortunately, sometimes the school of hard knocks is the best source of learning. Every individual in our society wants to make up their own mind, whether they have access to or interest in the resources to make an informed choice or not. Knowing that, I'd opt for transparency every time. Shout the message, let folks work it out on their own. That's why I'm writing this.

As for the UK variant and the vaccine, it's impossible to predict whether the mutations might be hitting an antigenic hotspot, but even so your body's response is going to produce a repertoire of antibodies, some of which should - hopefully - still hit the target. Think of it like a shotgun blast. Hopefully, some of the pellets still make the mark, even if that "magic BB" doesn't. The permutations are too complex to predict with any great accuracy, so empirical evidence is required, and there is a chance that it will be less effective. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Not everyone has to take it for it to make the problem go way down anyway .

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Don’t forget watching the 1000’s go to Walmart and Lowe’s with no issues.  Or the new finding that eating a hotdog while drinking a beer at a bar and leaving that bar by 10pm will save ya from the Covid. 

• Like 1

Just now, phantom said:

Not everyone has to take it for it to make the problem go way down anyway .

Right we could lock people inside like China did.  Why do you think the US has struggled worse with this?  I think a vaccine might help us the most. Being a free country is great and choice is great. I just hope enough people choose to take it so that the reason it goes down is from the vaccine and not the people with weaker imune systems paying the price. 

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Ha , wrong !

Luck has everything to do with it ! If you think a shot protects you from getting Covid 100 percent , yup good luck !

Not a 100,%, no one expects that.  It's a numbers game you obviously can't grasp.  That a vaccine can reduce it .  You can get measles tomorrow. But due to a vaccine you most likely will not. I don't see the difficulty in understanding this.

• Like 1

Not a 100,%, no one expects that.  It's a numbers game you obviously can't grasp.  That a vaccine can reduce it .  You can get measles tomorrow. But due to a vaccine you most likely will not. I don't see the difficulty in understanding this.

Yea I can clearly see you have trouble understanding ...

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Don’t forget watching the 1000’s go to Walmart and Lowe’s with no issues.  Or the new finding that eating a hotdog while drinking a beer at a bar and leaving that bar by 10pm will save ya from the Covid. 

I never said I agree with any of that. I said a vaccination reduces the risk of getting it.  Hopefully once the infection rate goes down you can have your hotdog out wherever and whenever you want.  Lol

I never said I agree with any of that. I said a vaccination reduces the risk of getting it.  Hopefully once the infection rate goes down you can have your hotdog out wherever and whenever you want.  Lol

It MAY reduce the risk , MAY !

11 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Hey Versatile, I like the way you think, but I know that there's an often-spoken opinion at the top that the clarity of the message can trump its accuracy. IMHO, that can turn around and bite us in the keister. I'd rather give people the facts and let them make up their own mind, even if it's not necessarily the outcome that health care professionals would like to see. 

Unfortunately, sometimes the school of hard knocks is the best source of learning. Every individual in our society wants to make up their own mind, whether they have access to or interest in the resources to make an informed choice or not. Knowing that, I'd opt for transparency every time. Shout the message, let folks work it out on their own. That's why I'm writing this.

As for the UK variant and the vaccine, it's impossible to predict whether the mutations might be hitting an antigenic hotspot, but even so your body's response is going to produce a repertoire of antibodies, some of which should - hopefully - still hit the target. Think of it like a shotgun blast. Hopefully, some of the pellets still make the mark, even if that "magic BB" doesn't. The permutations are too complex to predict with any great accuracy, so empirical evidence is required, and there is a chance that it will be less effective. Only time will tell.

To be clear, a recommendation need not come at the expense of transparency and fact-sharing. That said, I do think you read the huntingNY room well. 

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

Yea I can clearly see you have trouble understanding ...

Ok. Lol.  So why are you against a vaccine? 

Should we stop taking them for everything else too?  

I do have a problem understanding the fear of a vaccine vs a fear of getting a disease. 

So because it wasn't tested enough? If that's all you got then go with it, but don't shut down on others that are willing to try it and actually possiblity help protect you from getting it and spreading it more.  

I have no prob with choice.  But don't have issue with people that are willing to take it as well. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

One can be 100% correct but fail to be an effective advocate when the argument degrades into personal attacks.   Just an observation.   Carry on.  

...and that is precise observation of what happens on here with political discussions.

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Ok. Lol.  So why are you against a vaccine? 

Should we stop taking them for everything else too?  

I do have a problem understanding the fear of a vaccine vs a fear of getting a disease. 

So because it wasn't tested enough? If that's all you got then go with it, but don't shut down on others that are willing to try it and actually possiblity help protect you from getting it and spreading it more.  

I have no prob with choice.  But don't have issue with people that are willing to take it as well. 

I have no problem with anyone taking it !

And no problem with those who choose not to !

12 minutes ago, luberhill said:

It MAY reduce the risk , MAY !

Yes and hopefully it will work as so many other vaccines have.  I remember my Dad talking about polio and that people were so terrified of it and how amazing it was that it is basically gone now due to a vaccine. 

I feel pretty good that the trials on vaccines now are much better now than then. And I. Hoping for all our sakes and way of life will be back to normal because of this one. For that in willing to take it. If you are not that is ok.  I hope u don't get sick or give it to anyone.  Maybe in a few months or so you might decide to take it if all goes well with people getting it.  But I think you will.need the luck with that more than I will since I am vaccinated. So good luck. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

12 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

...and that is precise observation of what happens on here with political discussions.

I actually have enjoyed reading both sides here. Not a lot of mean things said by any one. I can def see the side that says they are skeptical and/ or will wait. Esp with the world today as no one trusts anything anymore. 

I have no problem with someone that doesn't take it, just trying to see their reasoning. Esp when so many of the things they use everyday have been tested a lot less. From food additives to medicines etc yet they are used without question. 

To me a lot of this is interesting.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

27 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

C’mon man, you know you’re totally misrepresenting this... 

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Right we could lock people inside like China did.  Why do you think the US has struggled worse with this?  I think a vaccine might help us the most. Being a free country is great and choice is great. I just hope enough people choose to take it so that the reason it goes down is from the vaccine and not the people with weaker imune systems paying the price. 

Interesting comparison.  China is a country that puts personal liberty second to the country greater good.  The population, brainwashed or culture or otherwise, puts the country before themselves.  An argument could be made that patriotism plays a role.

5 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

C’mon man, you know you’re totally misrepresenting this... 

what are you getting so worked up about a  good percent of people will take the vaccine  and that's all it takes to make  the numbers  go way down  .  It will overtime be like the flu or cold more or less .  and right now they don't have enough for all to take it anyway .

Edited by phantom

4 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Interesting comparison.  China is a country that puts personal liberty second to the country greater good.  The population, brainwashed or culture or otherwise, puts the country before themselves.  An argument could be made that patriotism plays a role.

Def a good point. I guess it could also be looked at as going to war.  China would force people to fight/take a vaccine , but when the US was attacked at pearl, people lined up to volunteer.  I am kinda hoping for the greater good that people also willingly line up for the vaccine.  For themselves and protection of others. And as it should be not forced. Hopefully the vaccine will prove to be successful and more will get it done and things will get better.  Doing nothing is it going to make it go away? Patriotism can be a way of people deciding to enact change with out being forced to outside of war, yet feeling like we are under threat from the virus.  Interesting analogy. 

• Thanks 1