9mm deer hunting

Karpteach

Ok. Good information. Thanks for all the input. Why would anyone get one of the "target/sportsmans" classification if you can get the CCW then?

Depending on the area, the Concealed Carry permit is hard to get. You need a good reason like carrying large amounts of money, etc. The target/hunting permit is easier to obtain.

• 1 month later...

Years ago my friend shot a big 7 point with a 4 inch 38. He walked in the woods to get his tree seat and left his shotgun on the ATV up on the road. This deer walked right up to him (funny how deer never see farmers) Anyway....he blasted him through the ribs at less than about 15 yards. The deer ran at least 100 yrds. but we found him dead. The bullet was a hollow point but didnt really expand, just bent down one side, we found it between the ribs and hide on the other side. It kind of messed up the lungs pretty good. I dont know what load he used other than it was a semi jacketed hollow point.....Point is if you are close enough and have a real good shot.... anything will work......But a 9mm wouldnt be my #1 choice.

Edited by ants

I like lighter calibers for differant reasons yet a 9 mm is out of the question for deer. Would be fine for small game but bad penetration and small wounds make for long tracking and many lost deer if this was a commonly used caliber. Like many have said here it will work if close and you place the shot correctly. But there are many better choices in caliber for deer and 9mm is not one of them...

Agree...... The one my buddy shot with the .38 was a fluke. The thing left zero blood until the last 25 yrds. then it started spraying out its nose, but not alot. These smaller pistol cals. like 9mm are a bad choice for big game. Another friend use to use a .357 mag marlin rifle and even that was'nt all that great on deer. IMHO all pistol cals stink.

• 1 month later...

I think if everyone used a 9mm pistol for deer 90% would never be found after being shot by the average pistol shooter. I don't think it is fair to the animal to not have a fast kill the higher percentage of the time. Not saying it can't be done but it sure wouldn't be my preference.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I took my mother's goofy brother on an aoudad hunt years ago and he showed up with some kind of 9mm folding rifle with open sights. I tried to talk him into quiting after 12 failed attempts and chase javelina's then we jumped one on the top of a canyon at 75 yrds. He pumped 6 shots in the sheep and the sheep ran around the mountain and I walked right by him, he stood up and charged at 15 yards and I managed to stop him with my . 45 so in all I would say not a humane gun for large game.

During bow season the quarry is usually wounded and left to die before searching. This is OK as it is a very long season and the chances of you getting your deer before someone else is greater. During gun season a lot of hunters are in the woods and your hard earned shot at a deer may be for naught. Days during bow season are typically longer.

I would rather shoot the animal and harvest in close proximity, Tag, Gut, drag to car all before dark.

• 2 months later...

I was having a conversation with a gentleman about deer hunting with handguns. I'm putting in for my pistol lisence next week. The discussion started with what handguns I was interested in. This hunter(??) claims that he hunts with his 9 mil. I was very wary about this. I used the 9 mil while in the military and I know it's not known for it's range. Has anyone used or known someone who uses a 9 for hunting?

He uses the 9MM for hunting, but that doesn't mean he ever got something with it!

If I were to use a pistol, to hunt deer, I would invest in a Thompson Center and go with a rifle cal. A friend has one in 35 Rem. that he's taken a few deer with. It seemed to do OK but I would still rather use a long gun. Long guns, in rifle cals. and slug guns just have so much more thump its no contest.