Rust at the end of muzzleloader

ATbuckhunter

So I got lazy and didn’t clean mr muzzleloader until today. Last time I used it was middle of January, but I noticed some rust at the end. The rest of the bore is clean of rust. I tried running a brush down it about 10-15 times, but after a few strokes it doesn’t looks like it’s removed anymore than the first few strokes. Is this a big deal? How should I go about cleaning it, if it is? My guns are usually spotless so this is new to me. Btw I used blackhorn 209 which is the only reason I got lazy with it. With regular black powder, I cleaned it that night and always had a spotless barrel

07d55259e04b8e7593e606264a952055.jpg

d0064aede821888c7cd5072ab37b4ad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run a few wet patches with Hopps and let it sit a good ten mins then scrub with a brush,,,,,,,It does not look that bad you should not have a problem......

I tried it, but couldn’t get more out. Maybe I’m not doing it enough, I just hate brushing gun barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, rachunter said:

A little chore-boy wrapped around a copper or nylon brush will remove it also works great removing lead.

02c34368-fe03-4326-9e09-60d28f7771f0_1.6a2865e6841f6ba431975788bf3e86d8.jpeg

Thanks for that suggestion, I have a couple of shotguns that need to have a little lead removed, I’ll give this a shot. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

This is all I use for cleaning my muzzleloader.  Always worked great.  I spray some in and let it set for a hour or two.  Its a gel and then wipe it out with patches, and run a bore swab thru it.  I also use this brush. It's not real stiff but does the trick. 

57209.jpg

apiolxvgg__33201.1576590739.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

It looks like pitting of the barrel to me ,maybe I'm wrong. Try using Montana extreme bore cleaner for bh209. If it doesn't effect accuracy just keep up on it from now on .

You could try 100 stokes of jb bore paste to polish it up some .

Edited by sbuff

3 minutes ago, sbuff said:

It looks like pitting of the barrel to me ,maybe I'm wrong.  If it doesn't effect accuracy just keep up on it from now on .

You could try 100 stokes of jb bore paste to polish it up some .

Im not sure my self either. I do think this picture makes it look worse than it really is though. I couldn't get a better pic

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This is all I use for cleaning my muzzleloader.  Always worked great.  I spray some in and let it set for a hour or two.  Its a gel and then wipe it out with patches, and run a bore swab thru it.  I also use this brush. It's not real stiff but does the trick. 

57209.jpg

BINGO ! That is the BEST bore cleaner on the market in my opinion . I clean every single gun with the Berchwood Casy 2-1 Bore Cleaner . That will take that rust right off no problem. Does the best job I have seen taking out lead , copper , and both nitro and black powder fouling .

Just let it sit for 10 min and then use the bore brush . A friend of mine were cleaning our guns after sighting in. He was using Hoppes and I was using B-C 2-1 . He said his barrel looked spotless . I talked him into letting me clean his gun again after he was done. The B-C made it look like he never cleaned it there was so much fouling on the patch. Now the B-C is all he uses.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Looks rusty still. Chuck a cleaning rod in a drill with your choice of cleaner and lightly clean it. Works fine if you have your wits about you and go slow. Saves a lot of elbow grease when done properly. 

Don't trust my self that much lol. Im going to stop by a guy tomorrow on my lunch break and see what he says

I get the same on occaisision.  Brush it, I have used hoppes, or really tuff stuff penetrting oil. The ol" copper scrubber on the brush is also very effective. Dont be afraid of elbow grease. When done, I prefer Shooters Choice ...leave the bore good and wet.

9 hours ago, sbuff said:

Did you try 100 strokes of jb bore paste to try polishing the barrel 

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

Worst and not a bad thing you could cut and re crown 

I see a qla of type is it a tc or cva muzzle loader 

CVA. Im going to bring it to a gunsmith to see what he says. I don't want to possibly cause any more damage to the barrel. I did pick up some of the copper wool 

I had A stainless barrel rust after I left A load in it for way too long. I’m talking over a year. The rust was on the breech end and I figured The barrel was trash. Just for giggles I used Some 00 steel wool wrapped around a brass brush to see what would happen. It removed the rust, so I cleaned It up real good and shot it a bunch of times. It literally didn’t affect the gun at all. Still shoots just as accurately as it did before. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, rachunter said:

A little chore-boy wrapped around a copper or nylon brush will remove it also works great removing lead.

02c34368-fe03-4326-9e09-60d28f7771f0_1.6a2865e6841f6ba431975788bf3e86d8.jpeg

I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I had some lead in both my 12 and 20ga A5’s from shooting slugs. I brushed those things repeatedly and got nowhere with the lead. I did the Chore Boy trick this afternoon, and both of those bores are now bright and shiny. Thanks!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I’m about to pull the trigger on a CVA. Would a nitride finish actually protect against this?

I honestly wouldn't know. This might be a one off because everyone i spoke to that uses the powder has said they/ve left it for longer and had zero rust. The day I hunted with it last was misty, but I thought covering the barrel would save it from any moisture. I may have been wrong about that

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I had A stainless barrel rust after I left A load in it for way too long. I’m talking over a year. The rust was on the breech end and I figured The barrel was trash. Just for giggles I used Some 00 steel wool wrapped around a brass brush to see what would happen. It removed the rust, so I cleaned It up real good and shot it a bunch of times. It literally didn’t affect the gun at all. Still shoots just as accurately as it did before. 

Thats what I like to hear 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I’m about to pull the trigger on a CVA. Would a nitride finish actually protect against this?

Qpq nitride is pretty amazing stuff. Thing is now many "nitride" finishes manufacturers are listing aren't that process and just an abbreviated version [read: cheaper]

Have roughly a dozen qpq nitride barrels and 2 receivers of my favorite brand rifle. It makes it easy to clean and is ridiculous hard/durable. One gun has seen some serious crappy weather, blown talc type dust, moisture and even coastal salt and it looks new wiped with a oily cloth.

But insides of barrels see some high temps and pressures, and like to run a patch through a bore sooner then later. Not betting on anything to save a bore from freckling. Ymmv.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Thanks 1