outdoor news

Red

To me , the Youth Special Season is nothing more than more of the dumbing down of America . The kids can't shoot in the regular season so make it easier for them . They can't pass tests so lower the passing scores . They can't be responsible for their actions so give them condoms in school . And we wonder why a lot of these kids fail later in life ............

Why not make it easier . Give the Youth a 3 day gun hunt season the end of August just before school starts . That way there will be at least a month for things to settle down before the regular Bow Season opens . Heck , give them a week at the end of august .

i agree if they want to do a youth hunt it should be held enough before bow season to let the deer settle back down. also the youth hunt should not be held during bow season what if im in full camo hunting deer from the ground and some one is shooting a slug or a rifle at that deer they arent gonna see me in the back ground. if it was held during the same time as bow season it wouldnt just have the deer spooked it would have some bow hunters spooked as well and be very unsafe.

I don't think 3 days of a youth gun hunt will cause any problems. Those deer will go right back to their usual patterns soon after. It's pretty green that time of year, it will make it a tough hunt. Come to think of it maybe one problem, your pissed off neighbor that's mad because your kid nailed a nice 10 point thats been traveling both properties. Could you imagine the smile on that kids face, hooked for life!

I guess I don't really understand the philosophy behind all these special youth seasons. Is someone claiming that there's not enough access to hunting time and that an additional three days is going to make the difference? What's supposed to be the big benefit to these seasons. Is there any data that shows that special seasons increase recruitment or is this all just a "feel-good" activity to make people feel like they are doing something about the decline of hunter population? I hear everyone talking like these proposed special youth seasons are some kind of salvation for hunting. Ok .... so exactly what is the problem that these things are supposed to be addressing. What evidence is there that such seasons make any difference at all?

Kinda what Doc's saying. Are special youth seasons actually working, or is the DEC shooting in the wrong direction? The Saturday opener was introduced to incorporate more youth, it didn't work. Once these programs are put into law, it's very difficult and expensive to get them changed. (Of coarse, that may be the idea , to give the politicians somthing to do.) If you introduce a child into hunting, wouldn't it be better in a real world experience.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Heres the way I see it...

The dates they are currently proposing will fall before the historic start of bow season (it will be during the new dates for bow season though). The type of season they are proposing will not be one where a bunch of kids are thrown out into the woods on their own, they will have to be accompanied by a mentor that is over a certain age. I do not see it being anything like regular gun season, there wont be that many out there, and by that many I mean any numbers coming close to the numbers of guys in the woods during opening weekend of gun season.

If any bow hunters are worried about any safety aspects, then wear blaze orange for those 3 days, deer cant see it anyway. Also, as far as the safety thing, why arent you guys already worried about the small game guys shooting up the woods while you are out there in full camo? There are already other states doing the same thing, if safety was a big problem, you guys should be able to pull stats from those states to show how bad of an idea it is.

The special season is meant to give the young kids a crack at calm deer in feeding patterns, so maybe they can see more of them than they would on opening day when they arent as relaxed. I see nothing wrong with that, and hopefully, the additional chance at seeing deer will get the kids hooked faster than them going out opening day of regular gun and seeing nothing. We currently have a big recruitment problem, and part of it is related to people going out and seeing nothing when they are new to the sport. Im all for giving the kids a 3 day edge.

Just my opinion.

i dont mind them doing a youth hunt i just think it would be better for all if it were held during bow season. i agree there really wouldnt be crazy numbers of youth out there hunting during these special days. ive only once in the last 10 years ran into a small game or turkey hunter during deer season that was when i went to the state land near a friends camp. i mostly hunt in letchworth state park and theres no small game hunting allowed in the park and no fall turkey hunting in the park.

I hope they do do it. there are a lot of small game hunters in the woods anyways, as for the reason behind it, i'd rather a kid get introoduced to a calm way to deer hunt than have to compete with hundreds of guys rowdy as all heck, half of em prolly have had to much to drink the night before. Will it bring more hunters into the sport i hope so, but a least it will give em a chance to see what it can be before,being thrown to the wolves. the days of the kids growing up shooting bb guns around the neighborhood is gone. A little perk won't hurt me. i've even had a few friends whose kids might be eligible for this hunt ask to be able to bring their kids here.. who know maybe they will shoot that big one i've been after that always seems to stay out of bow range, or maybe they will shoot a button, either way i will be more excited for them then they will be. The game doesn't belong to me, and i am happy when ever i see a kid telling their hunt stories. For me regular gun season has become the time to harvest meat, my trophy hunting is done during bow, and i for one am willing to share that with kids....and i hope they grow up and are willing to return the favor. Heck why not make it a youth/elderly season for all i care.....

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

i agree with a youth hunt for deer they have them for turkey pheasant and waterfoul with little resistance. i belive it will give the youth a chance to hunt deer without the normal gun pressure and a calm heard. i know when i started hunting i did have a chance at a deer for quite some time. i htink this youth season could possibly get some hooked if not oh well what is it really going to hurt. and as far as the deer getting spooked there are small game hunters in the woods during all of bow season anyway and the deer are unphased by them shooting. i know some of the bow hunters aren't though by remarks i have recicved while bird hunting with my dog. i think some of the problem with declining numbers of sportsman... well let me reword that to "hunters" is the me me me attitude that many seem to have now adays and not the way people are living life now adays i know both my kids will be sportsman i take them out with me and introduce them to the outdoors they participate in the training of my cocker spainiel and see most of my kills. while i know others that DON"T take thier children out with tthem due to the fact that they might not be able to get thier big buc k with a youngster in tow.

i think the youth hunt would be a blast for kids the deer just walking around in their natural patterns not spooked like crazy and running. my kids only 2 years old ihe has his life time sportsman ill definitely be doing my part to get him involved in the outdoors. hes already very interested in the mounts on the walls and going driving to see the deer. i cant wait until hes 5 years old or so and start taking him out during bow season and small game once in a while.

Since when are deer so spooked on opening day? That's why the success rate is so high, they are not pressured yet.

So why the need for a "special season" during archery season? Sacrafice your time on opening day and take a kid hunting.

i think That having a set few days for youth deer hunting is a great Idea. The youth is the future of the hunting sport, if adults can properly teach the youth with out pressure of other adult hunters than that would only help make them better, more responsible hunters who properly understand the word "safety" However this should not take place in archery season.

I'm not yet a bowhunter (but will be this fall), so I 'm not sure if I think the youth hunt would hurt that. I do have a 13y.o. daughter who got licensed last year. I'd love some type of special hunt to take her on. I'd rather not take her during regular gun season yet. Anything we can do to help recruitment is a plus.

For those of you that do not want it in archery why not close archery that weekend?, I know the state numbers for youth turkey hunt say only about 5000 or so participate across the state, not sure how many for youth pheasant, but i do not see huge numbers of kids being able or doing this maybe 10,000 across the state? not enough to ruin any ones bow hunting. As for the dates, if/ when the bow start is pushed back to oct 1 that gives 11 days for the die hard bow hunter before this hunt and 5 days after before the traditional start of bow oct 15 or there about.what ever the3rd sat .. you know.. i for one will use the extra time i'm given for bow and am willing to " give up" 3 days to our youth.

I'll support it when they make it the last weekend before Thanksgiving (move opening day back to Monday), and lower the age to where it should be. Lower the age will do far more for recruitment then any special youth hunt. Maybe our downstate brethren will put the pressure on their lawmakers who have made a career of fighting lowering the age?

I'll support it when they make it the last weekend before Thanksgiving (move opening day back to Monday), and lower the age to where it should be. Lower the age will do far more for recruitment then any special youth hunt. Maybe our downstate brethren will put the pressure on their lawmakers who have made a career of fighting lowering the age?

I agree Steve. You want a special gun season, then put it in the existing gun season time. The weather is not a factor the weekend before thanksgiving. Two days is plenty of time but I don't think a gimmick season will have an effect. Lower the hunting age and don't be lazy and take a kid hunting.

• Like 1

Never should have moved bow to the first. Should have worked the youth hunt in around the first somewhere and let the bow season start on the 15th as normal. North zone could change their season to be the same as south zone. No real need for a early bow season in the north using last years tags. Sept 27th thru oct 1st.

If they put the Kiddie Hunt in Archery Season , it won't bother me . I hunt private properties . If there is any shooting , it might drive the deer my way so I can see it as a possible advantage in bow season .

But ....... I think the Kiddie hunt should be "doe only" since the DEC wants to cull doe anyway .

Then again , make it easy for the Youth and have the hunt the last weekend in August . Not much else going on then .

I think the way so many of these recent attacks on bow season are actually gaining traction is that a lot of bowhunters have their own hunting grounds that are in one way or another controllable as to who, how many and what kind of hunters share the same area. They either own it, lease it, know the landowners or are related to the landowners. Therefore they feel insulated (and most likely are) from some of the effects of some of the recent changes and future changes that effect other bowhunters. For that reason they all have adopted the attitude of "let everyone else worry about their own situation ..... none of it affects me". I guess I could adopt the same attitude since my days of bowhunting are most likely limited, but I do have a loyalty to the sport that I have enjoyed almost all of my life.

Having said all that, I do understand where a lot of this stuff becomes a bit overwhelming and where people eventually get to the point of giving up. I can understand how someone might adopt the attitude of pulling back into their own resources and let the rest of it go where it may. I still fight the tide a bit, but am no where near as adamant as I used to be. Just human nature I guess.

How about the guy that has to bowhunt on State land or only has 25 acres. They will have to endure xbows, muzzleloaders, and kiddy gun season during the regular archery season plus small game. It's getting ridiculous.