Seeing black and white

WNYTRPR

26 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Were those from just this season?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yes they are ,I have a skinning spot just for skinning and “milking”skunks .Nice little canopy set up out of the elements ,and away from my wife .These were all targeted ,no accidentals .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My Pop used to target skunks way back in the day. We're talking like 75 years ago or so. 1's - 4's they were called depending how much black theyd have versus white

They are my best sellers ,I worked on getting a good market set up for them for years and it paid off .They are a beautiful silky fur ,unfortunately many get tossed by people each year .

• Like 1

Can I ask how you kill them, without them spraying? I have a couple of cage traps in my yard as we speak, as I have 2 skunks in my yard quite often that I want to get rid of. I was a NWCO for years, but I always gave them the swimming test, but yours don't look wet... The last couple I caught, I took in the woods and popped with a .22, but of course they always seem to spray when I do that! I always cover my cage traps, so it contains the spray itself, but it still stinks like hell! Maybe I'll just see if @Lawdwaz will just stop by and do it for me since he can't smell for shit right now anyways.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Can I ask how you kill them, without them spraying? I have a couple of cage traps in my yard as we speak, as I have 2 skunks in my yard quite often that I want to get rid of. I was a NWCO for years, but I always gave them the swimming test, but yours don't look wet... The last couple I caught, I took in the woods and popped with a .22, but of course they always seem to spray when I do that! I always cover my cage traps, so it contains the spray itself, but it still stinks like hell! Maybe I'll just see if @Lawdwaz will just stop by and do it for me since he can't smell for shit right now anyways.?

Acetone and needle ,quick injection puts them down quick ,no spray .They were soaked but I put them through the sawdust bath/tumble 

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What makes a skunk pelt worth more than the average one? size? or more white?

For myself it’s all white or double white stripes,Majority of mine go to the taxidermy market.The lesser quality goes to a guy who makes golf club covers

-These are also damage free, no smell And skinned properly.

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

For myself it’s all white or double white stripes,Majority of mine go to the taxidermy marketMajority of mine go to the taxidermy market.The lesser quality goes to a guy who makes golf club covers

-These are also damage free, no smell And skinned properly.

all white? like no black? albino? wow

Acetone and needle ,quick injection puts them down quick ,no spray .They were soaked but I put them through the sawdust bath/tumble 
So you get close enough to inject them with acetone? That's sounds a recipe for my wife booting me out of the house for a month.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

So you get close enough to inject them with acetone? That's sounds a recipe for my wife booting me out of the house for a month.

Gotta be a smooth talker (with the skunks )LOL .The pole I use is 5 foot,So I do have a little distance between us ,not like that would matter.Skunks really don’t wanna spray if they don’t have to

Edited by WNYTRPR

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Placing a sheet over the box trap, then drowning, is an option but it takes more time and effort than a shotgun blast to the head from 10 yards upwind.  That is also about as close to a live skunk as I feel comfortable.

I  have done that with a dozen or so, caught while targeting “damaging” coons in the summer in my sweetcorn.  None of them got out any spray.  For ammo, I mostly use up old 16 or 12 gauge shells that I can no longer read the numbers on.  From that range, shot size or choke don’t matter much.

The only thing that sucks is I have to go back up to the house for a shotgun when I find a skunk in a trap.  I carry a .22 for the coons and possums.  I didn’t get any of those last year.  If I did, I would have released them for two reasons, to eat ticks and to save ammo.  

The damage that possums and skunks do to sweetcorn is very insignificant compared to coons.  

Edited by wolc123

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Placing a sheet over the box trap, then drowning, is an option but it takes more time and effort than a shotgun blast to the head from 10 yards upwind.  That is also about as close to a live skunk as I feel comfortable.

I  have done that with a dozen or so, caught while targeting “damaging” coons in the summer in my sweetcorn.  None of them got out any spray.  For ammo, I mostly use up old 16 or 12 gauge shells that I can no longer read the numbers on.  From that range, shot size or choke don’t matter much.

The only thing that sucks is I gave to go back up to the house for a shotgun when I find a skunk in a trap.  I carry a .22 for the coons s was no possums.  I didn’t get any of those last year.  If I did I would have released them for two reasons, to eat ticks and to save ammo.  

The damage that possums and skunks do to sweetcorn is very insignificant compared to coons.  

Waste of a good skunk lol .And most likely destroyed cage trap .I get close ...

B28FE443-8C53-4A36-B90A-9D4FAA1F3FB6.jpeg

• Like 2