Couple hooter shots..

wooly

These guys have been giving me fits trying to get some pics of them the past 2yrs now. I finally caught up to one today while looking for antlers.

After a long game of cat and mouse from tree to tree, he finally settled down and tolerated me being at the base of his tree and let me move around for a few other angles.

Pretty cool experience for the day! Even when you see them taking flight/flying you certainly wont hear them!

CSC_0237_filtered.jpg

CSC_0236_filtered.jpg

CSC_0242_filtered.jpg

CSC_0241_filtered.jpg

CSC_0250_filtered.jpg

I had that happen with a red-tailed hawk once. He kept flying just ahead of me, a few trees at a time, and never offered to just take off and exit the area. I think these birds are a bit reluctant to leave the cover of an area they feel comfortable in because exposure can lead to being pestered by smaller birds. Just a theory. But it is weird behavior.

Thanks for looking and the comments everybody!

This is the kinda stuff I enjoy as much as any whitetail encounter or antler find. Guess we don't always need to take something physical home with us for a day outdoors to be a success. I can't remember the last time I had a bad day in the sticks!

• 2 weeks later...