My Taxidermy Shop

518BowSlayer

Love the doe mount. My grandpa had one and I always thought it was cool. Your combination with the buck is really nice.

Your truck picture made me laugh as I've moved like 6 times over the last 15 years and every time I personally transported my mounts. Break my tv? Fine, I can buy a new one and you'll foot the bill. But my mounts? Can't replace those. 

• Like 1

Awesome Ryan. Looks like it'll serve you well. That garage is pretty big. That said i agree with phade 1000% get it layed out and planned before you fill it. I built one bigger than my last house for sq ft and still isn't big enough with all the crap I'm putting in it. Havent even gotten to getting shelving and building benches in there yet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome Ryan. Looks like it'll serve you well. That garage is pretty big. That said i agree with phade 1000% get it layed out and planned before you fill it. I built one bigger than my last house for sq ft and still isn't big enough with all the crap I'm putting in it. Havent even gotten to getting shelving and building benches in there yet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have a very basic idea of how I'm going to lay it out. Gotta keep a section for normal garage stuff like mower, lawn and garden tools and such. It has 1 huge overhead door that I want to keep clear all the way to the back wall for bringing in our vehicles when it's going to snow plus customers can back in to lift deer and other critters right out of their trucks. There's a small office that I want to convert to a meat processing room. Going to eventually get one of those cool bot things and build a walk in cooler for hanging deer and stuff. It has a small bathroom in it already that needs to be redone. But at least the plumbing is there. Probably put in a Miter station at some point to do a little woodworking. I have plans for building a 4x8 custom workbench with a mounting stand on each corner to be able to work on 4 deer at a time plus tool and material storage. Plus keep a corner clear for band practice! I got big plans but it's gonna be one small step at a time!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Time for a shop update before deer season. First thing we did was fix the roof. Buddy of mine gave me a great deal on it. Found out the hard way that the foundation leaked on a semi warm day in February as the ice started melting
9c99a2fec8b165a65d0cd5ccbdb43520.jpg

Worst part of it was from about a 10ft section that was brick instead of concrete. I assume it's where the original overhead door was and they just filled it in with brick when they added on the huge addition to the shop. I pointed and parged it the best I could then hit it with 3 coats of drylok. So far so good but I'm probably gonna have to serious foundation work next year. I dug 2 trenches to try and divert as much water as possible and so far it's been dry
63aea047d1d3ddfa816f5aaf9a930ad1.jpg

Gutted the whole shop down to studs and took a 30 yard dumpster of debris out of here. And I packed the heck out of it, I'm a furniture mover so I know how to pack
5a0623c65fec143035b78decb0abf22f.jpg
97d937934f831861874492e05eadc14c.jpg

Got this place somewhat organized for now.
24803557774bd8297dd5ee2169a3b6e7.jpg
e02d1a3d6cc9fe6efa027567d03201c1.jpg
6c40107d9a722826d24576178df66083.jpgb1bc205bfdd2661f2d2c27d7433d2c94.jpg

Made myself a makeshift skinning machine using a heavy 3/4 inch steel plate with chains and locking pliers under the half-ton electric winch the previous owner left. I have another heavy steel plate to go on top of the other in case it's not heavy enough. Haven't tried it yet... soon enough I hope
8d58a5c3316fa12d468ed08bc91f210e.jpgffc10d30770fd904fa8df20a12770052.jpg

Already mounted 2 turkeys in here and hopefully more to come
12c4a6bf692b3c2e090e75be3bb7b5e3.jpg

Did a little painting outside too
a676c26392b5d0813601b602aa93230a.jpgce8d16f2e93a4b9f93e90254c5aa135f.jpg

Guess that's about it for now

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap Ryan. It definitely looks different from when I picked up Dom's deer.  

I figured you would need a drainage ditch to divert some of that water. Glad it's helping. 

Been seeing some very good prospects for a shoulder mount. Think you've done 3-4 for my nephew's and a few for some good friends of mine. Think it's about time you do one for me, lol. 

• Like 1

Nice progress. Do you have to worry about humidity with the taxidermy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yea. The turkey's I just mounted in there and brought them in the house to dry. Probably gonna do all the deer this year in my basement because it will be winter

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Yea. The turkey's I just mounted in there and brought them in the house to dry. Probably gonna do all the deer this year in my basement because it will be winter

Looks like you're setup ok for insulation though. Won't be cheap and of course seems like you have to figure out the water issue first. That place would look tits with one of those fancy garage floors some of the autoshops are putting in. Have to imagine you'd have to start selling meth to afford one though haha.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 11:43 AM, Belo said:

moved like 6 times over the last 15 years and every time I personally transported my mounts.

My friends who did moving jobs on the side always held a mount till full payment was made at completion of the move , then it came out of the bosses suv . There’s a number of people who I guess felt the fee was to high for the hours put in , one of their deer heads hangs on a city firehouse wall…

• Like 1

Looks like you're setup ok for insulation though. Won't be cheap and of course seems like you have to figure out the water issue first. That place would look tits with one of those fancy garage floors some of the autoshops are putting in. Have to imagine you'd have to start selling meth to afford one though haha.

I have a garage floor like that. Not too big of a job. They throw the flakes down to give it speckles

Been contemplating doing spray foam but it will cost a fortune. Fiberglass ain't gonna be cheap for a building this size either though. Floors need a ton of work before I can even think of laying epoxy over them. Lots of pitting and cracking from years of water leaking. Let me know if you got that meth connection... I could use the cash! Lol

I have a garage floor like that. Not too big of a job. They throw the flakes down to give it speckles

I thought it was a pretty in depth process. Don't the grind down the top surface first.......spread epoxy......spread flakes and then top with some type of clear coating. I was under the impression a 2 car garage was a 6-8 hr job.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I thought it was a pretty in depth process. Don't the grind down the top surface first.......spread epoxy......spread flakes and then top with some type of clear coating. I was under the impression a 2 car garage was a 6-8 hr job.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yes. That's what I meant. 1 day