Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts?

TheHunter

Antler Restrictions Poll  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Antler Restrictions Poll

• Yes - I
    • Nope - I
    • Give it a few years to see the results
    • Not Sure

yeah .. I stand corrected.. I guess it's true you can grow big deer using the Frankenstein method... the sad part is that these are the real arguments and examples used to discredit sound management plans... people like Rocket will look at that buck and be totally convinced that nutrition is the only thing that matters.

I can't believe I keep letting myself get pulled in to trying to educate anyone about the concept of deer management... the funny thing is as much as I am a hardcore believer in deer management... the truth is it would have no affect on me as a deer hunter and I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep if the concept never took hold in NY...

In nearly 17 years of speaking on QDM ... I am realizing that most hunters don't care about any of it as it pertains to benefiting the whitetail.. but only the parts that benefit them as hunters.. for the first time.. I happened on the Land Management and QDM portion of this forum.. only to find that the first 10 threads and nearly all the other threads were directed towards food plots. After 17 years thats the one thing that guys have taken from all the things that deer management has offered?

I really always just thought QDM was a great concept... and was something that at least all hunters should be aware of when it came to the future of hunting and whitetail herds in NY... what I didn't realize and do now is that most hunters really don't care about much more than just killin' deer.

It'll feel good not arguing my point any more... be more fun just sitting back and enjoying the entertaining arguments.

yeah .. I stand corrected.. I guess it's true you can grow big deer using the Frankenstein method... the sad part is that these are the real arguments and examples used to discredit sound management plans... people like Rocket will look at that buck and be totally convinced that nutrition is the only thing that matters.

I can't believe I keep letting myself get pulled in to trying to educate anyone about the concept of deer management... the funny thing is as much as I am a hardcore believer in deer management... the truth is it would have no affect on me as a deer hunter and I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep if the concept never took hold in NY...

In nearly 17 years of speaking on QDM ... I am realizing that most hunters don't care about any of it as it pertains to benefiting the whitetail.. but only the parts that benefit them as hunters.. for the first time.. I happened on the Land Management and QDM portion of this forum.. only to find that the first 10 threads and nearly all the other threads were directed towards food plots. After 17 years thats the one thing that guys have taken from all the things that deer management has offered?

I really always just thought QDM was a great concept... and was something that at least all hunters should be aware of when it came to the future of hunting and whitetail herds in NY... what I didn't realize and do now is that most hunters really don't care about much more than just killin' deer.

It'll feel good not arguing my point any more... be more fun just sitting back and enjoying the entertaining arguments.

liar :D

you will still be in here.  The way I see it, every hunter does their own form of management.  They just dont do it like the book says to.  The deer herd is healthy in NY, so what is the big deal?  I guess agree to disagree and go forth and hunt.  Am I for AR umm nope.  Do I choose which deer I harvest?  well obviously. I don't have a guy over my shoulder saying no this ones g2 is not long enough or he is not symmetrical enough.  I decide and only I decide if I harvest the deer and which deer I harvest for my own personal reasons.  Call me a liar or say you aren't buying it, but that is me, and every other hunter. For me to expect all hunters to conform to how I hunt in at best unrealistic and mostly not enforcible. As I have stated, I could care less about antler size.  I have taken some very nice racks, but they were attached to a big bodied deer.  I have never had a rack scored, nor do I display them proudly on my kill wall.  I would shoot a big bodied 8 over a huge rack 10 that is not as big a deer.  I go out in quest of 200's all the time.  But again that is pounds not inches.  I have pics in an album of deer I have taken.  I guess as I see it, I do not need to feed my ego and have bragging rights to have taken the biggest rack. I judge my trophies by body size, and hunt accordingly. I use my ml tags to take a doe or maybe two, then I hunt a big deer for regular season.  Do I expect every hunter to do so? no I do not and I should not even ask others to do so.  I have passed some awesome racked deer just because I did not need any more meat and to take it would have been a waste. Enjoy the hunt, the persuit and the comraderie.  Stop trying to make it "better" and enjoy what you have.  Please refer to my signature for more explanation

I agree that many of us set our own personal standards as to what deer to harvest . I know there are some nice bucks in a spot where we can hunt in South Bristol and I have passed on some small bucks figuring I would shoot a large doe instead . Well , this past season , I didn't shoot anything there but had opportunities to shoot smaller deer .

IT bothered me a bit that I didn't fill an archery tag but I did what was right for me . What someone else does is their business . I did see a couple real nice bucks but they were out of bow range . At least I know there were a couple of big boys around !

I am glad you are finally starting to realize this.  Hopefully more hunters will come to this realization also.  All one has to do is look at it all from all the different perspectives.  Maybe one day you will realize that just about everything involved around QDM was made up to benefit the hunter way more than it will benefit the deer.  QDM theories were the brainchild of biologists that were paid by hunters to come up with some new ideas, so with all honesty who would one think that would be benefitting most from it??  Shouldn't take anyone too long to figure it out, really.

There is a group of hunters in Italy Valley ( between Potter and Naples ) that practice QDM . They started about 4 years ago and are seeing larger racked bucks . They put their own antler restrictions on each other .

If someone shot a small racked buck he / she wasn't chastized as shooting only big racked bucks wasn't mandatory . It was more of a Gentleman's Agreement .

Na..im good with all this research..ill take woods smarts over book smarts any day..ive gotten 3 8pts 3 yrs n a row..and im not seein it get "worse" anytime soon...

You have shot 3 bucks a year for 3 years??

What part of NY?

I could have shot an 8pt every year for the last 5 years. I didn't because they where all 1.5 years old.

I remember a few seasons back I killed a little forkhorn and a yearling for the freezer. The following year I killed my best buck to date.

Just sayin thanks to the qdm guys for letting that one walk. I'd of been happy with another crotch-horn. :)

I am glad you are finally starting to realize this.  Hopefully more hunters will come to this realization also.  All one has to do is look at it all from all the different perspectives.  Maybe one day you will realize that just about everything involved around QDM was made up to benefit the hunter way more than it will benefit the deer.  QDM theories were the brainchild of biologists that were paid by hunters to come up with some new ideas, so with all honesty who would one think that would be benefitting most from it??  Shouldn't take anyone too long to figure it out, really.

You're the exact type person that I'm talking about... close minded and basing your opinion on what you think you know about how and why the QDM concept came about... what has become of it and what it started out as are two separate things... and I'm nearly positive you didn't even know what it was 17 years ago.

You're the exact type person that I'm talking about... close minded and basing your opinion on what you think you know about how and why the QDM concept came about... what has become of it and what it started out as are two separate things... and I'm nearly positive you didn't even know what it was 17 years ago.

Hahaha!  So after 17 years you are finally realizing that most people are using QDM for their own hunting benefits and then you are calling me closed minded?  I separated the BS from the reality long ago.  Too bad you still haven't figured it all out.

i mean we are talking a topic that there are many different views on Joe... QDM, what is the real "correct" way to practice it? and what does it benefit?

Dont answer it, because you will probobly come up with so many different input on it. some wrong, some right. But unless you really "KNOW" your deer herd. believe there is a good read in Febuary's issue of field and stream, i was reading it last night...

Hahaha!  So after 17 years you are finally realizing that most people are using QDM for their own hunting benefits and then you are calling me closed minded?  I separated the BS from the reality long ago.  Too bad you still haven't figured it all out.

No you accepted the BS long before you knew the reality... the reality is the original concept is still a good concept.. the new QDM plan has nothing to do with and is not deer management it is hunter management.

No you accepted the BS long before you knew the reality... the reality is the original concept is still a good concept.. the new QDM plan has nothing to do with and is not deer management it is hunter management.

Thanks for reaffirming that it indeed has nothing to do with deer management, and if it's hunter management to you, you then need to turn in the "freedom" card you like to wave, since you are taking away the rights of others who are not as stuck up on big antlered deer like you are.  Deer population control is why we are issued hunting licenses in the first place, and population control has NOTHING to do with antler size in any shape or form. 

I haven't taken away anyones rights.. all I've done is offer up my opinion on the original concept of quality deer management... and my opinion of the present concept... It doesn't matter to me whether people buy into it or not... but that doesn't mean that I still don't think its a sound management plan... I have simply written about it and spoke on it to get the word out about it for hunters to take in and digest.. I have never petitioned for it nor have I said someone is less of a hunter for not accepting it... I am not even a member of the QDMA.. my gripe.. if I have one at all is that some have formed an opinion of it .. without having any idea of what it is.. only what they think it is.

If you say you don't like liver but have never tasted liver.. then your opinion of liver doesn't mean much.

by the way.. i have tasted liver and hate it :)

What I meant Steve is that it has become a management system that has moved towards only benefiting the hunter.. which is really the same plan we have in place now.. the DEC does only what the hunting community allows them to do... not necessarily whats best for the deer or hunting.

What I meant Steve is that it has become a management system that has moved towards only benefiting the hunter.. which is really the same plan we have in place now.. the DEC does only what the hunting community allows them to do... not necessarily whats best for the deer or hunting.

I agree with the part about the DEC there, I veiw it as they raise the fees and then we get some type of new thing thrown our way. Wether it be a new hunting implement or season or what ever.

and your pointless banter is somehow better or more important?  :;) You drinkin again Pat?  ;D

Still would be the better reply.

People do that Pat to give you a chance to explain to us slow ones what you are trying to say.

Like if you are really killing 3 bucks a year and who told you not to hunt because you are not headhunting.