Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts?

TheHunter

Antler Restrictions Poll  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Antler Restrictions Poll

• Yes - I
    • Nope - I
    • Give it a few years to see the results
    • Not Sure

Pat, I just don't see a difference in the ag crops I grow commercially or the food plots for the wild animals on my land.  I don't think food plots, baiting or feeders is a solution for AR.  I like ar but don't like the point system, I rather have a one buck rule.  One suggestion could be AR for part of the season?  Let's change the opening for Archery to October 1st and from the 1st to October 28 a buck must meet AR requirements and after the 28th to last day of archery season no ar.  For gun the first week would be ar and after that no ar.  Late season no AR.  Again, with a one buck rule.

p.s. this is for the southern zone.

AR.. IMO .. is only necessary to produce a more balanced age structure among bucks... allowing for a good representation of bucks in each age group... if its just done just to grow big bucks then it really isn't necessary at all... the idea is to better balance ratios and create a hierarchy with older more mature bucks doing the breeding...

Using 3 on a side restrictions. or even a 1 buck rule, does not protect enough yearling bucks to accomplish what the original idea of antler restriction was designed to do...And the original AR was never a point restriction, but rather a spread restriction because it was determined that at the time that was a better means of judging an older buck in the field.

The greatest obstacle to AR is hunters being more concerned with killing bucks close to the minimum restricts.. They get hung up on how they will be able to tell if the buck is just over the limit or if it is under the limit. Most huntersare unwilling to pass on something that could go either way and to only be concerned with bucks that positively make the limit

will a spread restriction actually work? here's a mature deer harvested with a 13 1/2 in inside spread...would that make the grade? i have shot and seen harvested 1 1/2 year olds with grater spread than this. I think its up to the individual to determine what a good or great buck is to them.

post-2018-131455412258_thumb.jpg

It's too bad everyone couldn't determine the age of a deer on the hoof. Combine that and antler restrictions and then hmmm. I watched a 2 1/2 yr old ,16 inch 4 pt,make it to a 4 1/2 yr old 20 inch 4 pt. We never saw him at 3 1/2. He went somewhere else for a season. But because of antler restrictions he was off limits. In the mean time he was still breeding. Now that is one of those rare cases. But age structure along with ar's should be considered. Nice buck you shot.

No matter what form of AR is used there will be some bucks that will be harvested 1 1/2. 

Joe, your right, AR was created to increase the age structure in the buck deer herd but many seem to link it to TDM as well.  For me I pass on young bucks and take out my does.  It seems to be working on my farm.  The last buck I took with my farm was 2006....tag soup is ok with a little salt. ;D  This year we had on trail camera we had one 5 1/2, two 4 1/2, two 3 1/2 and some great 2 -1 1/2 old bucks.  Passing up the young boys work even on small acerage.

I guess being educated on deer age or restrictions doesnt excite me...ive shot good enough for me deer..and i live with no regrets for it...i like being out and about on my postage stamp ..thats what excites me..always a new experience..always a "dont do" to try to do..i successfully hunt by my standards..if a restriction was in place i would comply..however..no need just yet

will a spread restriction actually work? here's a mature deer harvested with a 13 1/2 in inside spread...would that make the grade? i have shot and seen harvested 1 1/2 year olds with grater spread than this. I think its up to the individual to determine what a good or great buck is to them.

There wil always be exceptions to the rule.. no matter what the rule..  and the 1.5 year old that you shot with a greater spread didn't have antlers that big...any experienced hunter knows that is a shooter buck and a non experienced hunter would think its a monster..like I said the problem with most AR's is that hunters always want to find a reason why not to have them instead of why to have them.

Alternate everyother yr between bow and shotgun seasons..you dont bow hunt..oh well..and vice versa..id also like to see a season you hunt th whilst still in velvet..100 pgs here we come!! Usually when i chime in its good for at least 2 pgs of name callin...hahaha

C'mon Rat Pockets , we're better than that ! Well , almost ........ :) .. ;) .. :D .. :D

Alternate everyother yr between bow and shotgun seasons..you dont bow hunt..oh well..and vice versa..id also like to see a season you hunt th whilst still in velvet..100 pgs here we come!! Usually when i chime in its good for at least 2 pgs of name callin...hahaha

I wouldn't be into hunting bucks in velvet... just doesn't do anything for me... taking pictures maybe, but not shooting velvet bucks.