Anyone dabble in DiY light gun smithing ?

I find it enjoyable and I’m a firm believer  in learning how things work. I’ve had my Super Red-hawk, wife's Gp-100 and my sons Black hawk apart numerous times. I’ve  used my Dremel with a polishing wheel and compound to polish the mating parts on the hammer and trigger.  Installed Hammer & trigger spring’s in them as well as hammer & trigger shims ( just installed shims in my sons black hawk tonight ) to remove the side to side play in the hammer & trigger’s.   

So my sons black hawk was having intermittent light primer strikes  over the summer .So I went to YouTube and Ruger has lots of dis-assembly  videos on their guns. I found out how to remove the firing pin. 

So last weekend I drove the firing pin tunnel out and I was shocked at the amount of crud that was in there. Cleaned the pin , spring and tunnel up, I used feeler gauges to find out what size shims to order and ordered . So after installing the shims and putting everything back together tonight and making sure everything was working . I put my trigger pull gauge on and its at 1 pound 6-7 ounce pull . It’s so smooth and crisp , I can’t wait to have him shoot it . I snapped a few pictures of the shims and the gun torn down. 

8A4E6850-A779-432D-A720-887E944C6494.jpeg

FC456D89-AFA8-4A94-A8FC-709C8D2EF47D.jpeg

36543B32-801D-4AAA-A236-FE7999865DAC.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 9

When I converted my Savage last year to 6.8spc, I did some minor work on the bolt as well as swapping the barrel. 
Now that I’ve found a new hobby with pistols, I am obsessed in learning the ins and outs of how they work. I won’t get involved in polishing any trigger parts, but I will purchase better parts for them and swap them out myself. 

• Like 1

Nothing too serious for me….many times I pulled the trigger group from my 870’s and Benelli’s for maintenance.   Shooting long guns left handed I can swap safeties blind folded.   Cleaning the group consists of a liberal douching (by do those two words go well together) with Hoppe’s and an old toothbrush.   A couple drops of ‘erl and your good to go.   

Pulled a couple Ithaca 37’s apart for HD maintenance and refinishing.   Never bedded a rifle but was certainly interested in finding benefits that were possible from it.  Always enjoyed monkeying with guns.   

Replaced some Remington 700 triggers with Timney triggers too.  

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

When I converted my Savage last year to 6.8spc, I did some minor work on the bolt as well as swapping the barrel. 
Now that I’ve found a new hobby with pistols, I am obsessed in learning the ins and outs of how they work. I won’t get involved in polishing any trigger parts, but I will purchase better parts for them and swap them out myself. 

You should try polishing ,  when I polish mating  surfaces I use the finest grit and it works fantastic. I won’t take a stone or file as I’m not qualified to go there , but polishing the burrs and machine  marks smooth is a night and day difference with out changing angles etc . and fouling up actions. On the Blackhawk the trigger nose that rides on the hammer you can still see the really deep machine grooves but when I run my nail over it it’s so smooth from polishing it . 

• Like 1

Just about every firearm I have ever owned has been messed with by me in one way or another, it is a big part of the fun for me. I have acquired a good collection of gunsmithing books and these days with the internet and youtube just about every mod I have wanted to do is shown in detail. Everything from stock refinishing and bedding, triggers, actions, and sights modified from factory to what suits my tastes. It is not hard if you have the tools and are given good instructions on how to do it.

Al

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, airedale said:

Just about every firearm I have ever owned has been messed with by me in one way or another, it is a big part of the fun for me. I have acquired a good collection of gunsmithing books and these days with the internet and youtube just about every mod I have wanted to do is shown in detail. Everything from stock refinishing and bedding, triggers, actions, and sights modified from factory to what suits my tastes. It is not hard if you have the tools and are given good instructions on how to do it.

Al

YouTube is king!!!

• Like 1

Every chance I get! Nothing makes me happier than having a project firearm to muckle with. I know what I can do ,shouldnt do, and what someone else should do though. I have made firing pins and other replacement parts for some obsolete firearms. I do have experience with mills and lathes, but keep things simple. I have forgotten way too much. Most recently I have been having fun tuning/improving my muzzleloaders, which usually are quite easy to work on. Most recently mounting, after drilling and tapping a Williams target peep on a Thompson Center Renegade. Sights are almost always the first to be replaced, and almost all locks need honing. I recently built a Kibler Longrifle kit (found on a separet thread somewhere on here) which brought a bunch of new challenges in fine woodworking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Tool And Die Maker everyday for work, I am looking to start light gunsmithing. IVe drilled and tapped some receivers, cleaned, polished and tinkered with triggers over the years and Im looking to cut shotgun barrels for choke threads.

I also am looking to purchase the neighbors lot and garage, or build a garage where i can plant a mill and a lathe.

I have some projects id like to get into someday like finding a cheap fast twist 22cal  and ream the chamber to a wildcat.. as well as many others.  IT is nice seeing how things work, and with my Tool and Die background I am not to nervous about digging into things and not being able to put back together properly.  IF i don't have the tools on hand, I have them at work. So it works out. ITs a hobby id like to turn into possibly a slight profit side job if it doesn't accumulate to much of my time. Im still quite novice with some firearms but the ability to learn can take you places.. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Being a Tool And Die Maker everyday for work, I am looking to start light gunsmithing.

I have some machinist background myself and it lends itself well to gunsmithing work. Hope things work out for you as there is nothing like a fun hobby that pays.

Al

• 2 months later...