What A Can Of Worms!

I spent part of the afternoon checking out this and that for AR's. Uppers, compliant grip/stock options, mag locks, scopes, and a bunch of other stuff.

There are so many gray areas concerning a mag lock, it's not even funny. I had been eyeing the MA Lock Mean Arms, but the shop I was at this morning says they aren't actually legal. The MLock is a gray area as well, because when you release the rear pin and open the upper, the mag can drop out.

I'm not looking to turn this into some political debate, but I'd like to know what options are out there to pin the mag if I choose to later in time without ruining the lower with epoxy or any other stupidity.

Any thoughts from the scary black gun crew?

I have a Mean Arms mag lock, and I don’t know how it can be argued it’s not legal.  It’s not removable without drilling it out.  I’ve thought of this a few times myself.  I’m not a rich man, but I’ve decided that I could live with the decision if I were to destroy a lower in an attempt to reverse something while not in NY.  If it survives great…if not, off to the gun shop for $100 Anderson.

• Like 1

It is very hard to say what's compliant under the Safe Act.  Its construction was a midnight session of multiple State's gun limitations.  Many passages are vague, ambiguous and/or are conflicting with other passages.  This is an attorney's dream on either side.  The SAFE Act wasn't created by anyone that knew anything about firearms.  Can anyone tell me what is an "ammo feeding device"    Is that a magazine, a stripper clip, an M1 clip???   All are removable.  The SAFE Act is an amazing read.

The State has no agency to say what is and is not compliant.  The State Police did early on in Safe act listed "as-made" compliant, but they even screwed that up as they listed an SKS.  It depended what version of SKS as some had detachable magazines.  They took down website.

When a gun shop tells you that it is compliant it is either the gun shop or manufacturer of device that is saying it is NY compliant.  I would like something in writing when this is the case.  They take on liability when they make the claim, but verbal doesn't cut it if you get in the crap.

I feel confident that the MA maglock is suitable by law definitions. It can't be removed without power tools which is more than any other part on an AR so how couldn't that fit the "bill." I doubt any LEO will have an issue with it should they look at it either. I put this system on my deer hunting AR just because I'll be out and about with it more possibly getting checked by the DEC, but ordinarily I wouldn't care much...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

To remove the MLock don't you have to end up drilling through the lower body and part of the trigger assembly?

I'm not sure how I'd like having to continuously load from the top, as well I'm looking at options if I do lock the magazine and then don't like the functionality, I'd prefer not to have to buy a whole new lower. I don't have the monetary option of "Oh well, let me drop another hundred or so because hey, it's only money.".

I'm just exploring some options.

I have a pinned mag. I also have speed loaders that feed from the ejection port. Works for me. To unload any rounds not fired, just pull the charge handle until empty. Or pop the back pin on the lower. If I should go to a state where they don't have ridiculous safe act laws, I'd just order a different lower.

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I have a pinned mag. I also have speed loaders that feed from the ejection port. Works for me. To unload any rounds not fired, just pull the charge handle until empty. Or pop the back pin on the lower. If I should go to a state where they don't have ridiculous safe act laws, I'd just order a different lower.

Might I ask what system they used to pin the mag grampy?

My biggest thing is, I won't epoxy anything into the mag slot. I'll sell one of my other firearms to pick up the Thordsen before I do that (which I plan on doing, most likely anyway). I have learned to use the spur on my M&P 1522 and gotten used to it, but that's a lot lighter than the Radical FR16 I bought, so I want something a little better on that rifle.

To remove the MLock don't you have to end up drilling through the lower body and part of the trigger assembly?

I'm not sure how I'd like having to continuously load from the top, as well I'm looking at options if I do lock the magazine and then don't like the functionality, I'd prefer not to have to buy a whole new lower. I don't have the monetary option of "Oh well, let me drop another hundred or so because hey, it's only money.".

I'm just exploring some options.
I don't think you'd have too much issue drilling the maglock off, you don't have to drill "through" the lower. I bet as soon as you drill out the plastic bolt it'll come right off. I don't mind pulling the rear pin and loading through the top, then again mine was built for hunting, not fun shooting per se...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I don't think you'd have too much issue drilling the maglock off, you don't have to drill "through" the lower. I bet as soon as you drill out the plastic bolt it'll come right off. I don't mind pulling the rear pin and loading through the top, then again mine was built for hunting, not fun shooting per se...

My range time with the rifle will be mainly sighting in and making sure it's still dialed in here and there, just like my deer rifles. If I want to plink, I have the 22LR for that. So this is being set up for hunting as well.

• Like 1

1/16th inch pop rivet to the front of mag well. No need to over complicate it or over think it. If you ever decide to do something different you’ll never notice a 1/16” hole and it will not affect the guns function in any way!

I have 2 that I did this way when I first moved back to NY, they still work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

Since we are talking about legalities on ar’s. Can someone explain to me how a bi- pod is illegal on a ar but not a hunting rifle(ie 30-06)? The guy at the shop couldn’t explain that to me. 

This question is a can of worms.  ARs are hunting rifles...and target rifles, and self-defense rifles, and recreational rifles, etc etc etc Just like every other rifle.

51 minutes ago, Cory said:

Since we are talking about legalities on ar’s. Can someone explain to me how a bi- pod is illegal on a ar but not a hunting rifle(ie 30-06)? The guy at the shop couldn’t explain that to me. 

Yet, I see guys hunting with bipods on bolt rifles all the time. In fact, the guy who kept sitting in a few of my brush blinds last deer season had a bipod on his gun. So did a few guys in another area. I personally don't care if they have the bipod or not to be honest.

I don't want to mess around with this one. I've noticed an increase in DEC on a good share of the places I hunt due to the increase in more hunters in the woods. My last day out squirrel hunting, DEC pulled in and actually blocked me so I couldn't back out. I had just put everything away and started the vehicle and was standing in the back getting my water bottle from the pack when he pulled in. Talked for a minute and then asked to see my license. Had a nice chat while he looked that over, and he even stated they are patrolling the higher pressure areas more now. So I want things to be right and proper, just in case.

Edited by DirtTime

9 hours ago, Cory said:

I didn’t think a bipod was listed as one of the evil features prohibited by the safe act.

I bought an AR off a buddy and when we went to do the paperwork the guy made me take it off before I could register it. I got it for coyotes and was looking to use the bi pod. I just don’t want to get busted coming out of the field and have it confiscated.

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

I bought an AR off a buddy and when we went to do the paperwork the guy made me take it off before I could register it. I got it for coyotes and was looking to use the bi pod. I just don’t want to get busted coming out of the field and have it confiscated.

The safe act is, let's say less than clear. But there is zero mention of bipods in the state's "guidance" document. You mentioned "register". Did you mean transfer?

Edited by Steuben Jerry

With a conventional mag lock as i know them, all you have to do to remove is drill off the head off the allen screw. It merely takes the place of the mag release. I personally despise fixed mags, ive run fin grip with thumb shelf with a featureless ar so i have a detachable mag. 

Bipods are definitely not illegal on a AR unless you are running a detachable mag featureless gun and the bipod in question is one of the ones that deploy from a forward grip.

• Like 1