Woods or fields.

G-Man

I prefer roosting and woods hunting, I have fields but am usually out-of woods and back home by 8 am.. I rarely stay out to noon. I see no reason to chase birds around and educate them of have them leave the area. Minimizing pressure I believe keeps them in same roost area for weeks at a time..   gave up the decoy and field game years ago as I don't care if I see a bird across field coming in ,I prefer to have them pop their head up in range inthe woods for their 1st look for the caller... 

Where do you like to hunt toms and why?

• Like 2

Depends on the property. I’ve Killed them both ways. I avoid big fields but I have one piece of property that’s on the side of mountain that has over 20 3-5 acre fields with thick hedge rows and and creeks. I love playing with birds there as I am able to maneuver on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had any luck at all

I’m surprised they never opened wertheim for a few weeks there all over that place. Then again they’ll probably wait until it’s out of control and hire sharpshooters to kill them. Lol

I have not killed a spring tom yet, but I am going to try both a field and woods this year, over at my folks place.  They have been watching a flock over there, feeding out on a clover plot, almost every day.  Plan A is to set my hen decoy out in that plot 45 minutes before sunrise,  15 yards from the tree blind that I killed 3 bucks out of over the last 5 months.  I am hope to pop a Tom from that nice comfy padded chair, with my single shot .410, using a 2-1/2” #6 Remington express cartridge.

In like deer hunting, where meat is my biggest priority, I am only in this bird game for the sport.  It seems too easy to kill a turkey with a 12 gauge pump gun and a 3” cartridge, based on a fall hen turkey that I managed with that combo a few years ago. 

Plan B, or for my second bird, I am going to set my ground blind up in the woods back near my “trailer park” location.  NY state setback laws won’t allow me to use a gun back there, since there are about 6 double-wides within 400 feet, and I only have permission from one of the owners (the one I park next to).  The last time I deer hunted back there after Christmas, I saw a big Tom turkey fly down out of a tree.  Hopefully, he is still there and I can get him with my crossbow.  It is legal to use there and way more “sporting” to kill a turkey with a crossbow.   

I have not seen any signs of turkeys at home last year or this year, so I probably won’t even go out here unless I see or hear one.  Two years ago I, I heard lots of gobbles and had one sneak in on my silent, in a field edge blind, and I never got a shot off.  Those that I hear at home don’t come in to my calls, and that which came in, did not gobble.  I don’t need no more of that.  

I hunted woods for many years and would still like to, if I could...However there are several reasons I can no longer hunt woods effectively.... I can no longer run up, down and across the hills the way I used  to....I can no longer sit motionless on the ground with my back against a tree the way I used to....I can no longer hold the shotgun steady enough across my knee to make a clean shot as I used to...

SOO  Now I hunt from a popup blind, mostly field edges, with  decoys....I can sit in my blind on a comfy stool and use a bipod to steady my gun for a clean kill..  One  advantage is that often I can see gobblers at a distance and watch thier reactions to my calls/decoy...Back in my many years of woods hunting I usually did not see the bird until his head popped up within  shotgun range...

I still seem to be able to kill about as many turkeys...And I get an occasional  nap in besides...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have not killed a spring tom yet, but I am going to try both a field and woods this year, over at my folks place.  They have been watching a flock over there, feeding out on a clover plot, almost every day.  Plan A is to set my hen decoy out in that plot 45 minutes before sunrise,  15 yards from the tree blind that I killed 3 bucks out of over the last 5 months.  I am hope to pop a Tom from that nice comfy padded chair, with my single shot .410, using a 2-1/2” #6 Remington express cartridge.

In like deer hunting, where meat is my biggest priority, I am only in this bird game for the sport.  It seems too easy to kill a turkey with a 12 gauge pump gun and a 3” cartridge, based on a fall hen turkey that I managed with that combo a few years ago. 

Plan B, or for my second bird, I am going to set my ground blind up in the woods back near my “trailer park” location.  NY state setback laws won’t allow me to use a gun back there, since there are about 6 double-wides within 400 feet, and I only have permission from one of the owners (the one I park next to).  The last time I deer hunted back there after Christmas, I saw a big Tom turkey fly down out of a tree.  Hopefully, he is still there and I can get him with my crossbow.  It is legal to use there and way more “sporting” to kill a turkey with a crossbow.   

I have not seen any signs of turkeys at home last year or this year, so I probably won’t even go out here unless I see or hear one.  Two years ago I, I heard lots of gobbles and had one sneak in on my silent, in a field edge blind, and I never got a shot off.  Those that I hear at home don’t come in to my calls, and that which came in, did not gobble.  I don’t need no more of that.  

I like you Wolc, but I think your plan of trying to kill your first gobbler with a 2.5"  .410 cartridge is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard....Use your  12 gauge for your first one, and don't risk wounding a fine bird with an inadequate  gun/load combo...

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I like you Wolc, but I think your plan of trying to kill your first gobbler with a 2.5"  .410 cartridge is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard....Use your  12 gauge for your first one, and don't risk wounding a fine bird with an inadequate  gun/load combo...

The main reason that I took that .410 last spring when I hunted from my pop-up over there, was it handled easier inside of it (my 12 gauge 870 with 28” barrel was too long).  I also read of many on here that prefer hunting with a 20 gauge.  I didn’t get any shot opportunities with it then. 

I have also hunted other species of small game with that .410 for 34 years, and I am very confident with what I can do with it.  I think my chances of wounding a bird would be considerably greater with my 12 gauge.  Most importantly, I have already killed a turkey with that 12 gauge and found very little “sport” in it.  Add that all up, and it seems stupider for me to use the 12. 

That said, I will consider it since I will be hunting that spot from my open-topped tree blind this year, which does not have the tight-space issues that the pop-up blind has.  Maybe I will flip a coin and let that decide if I will go for my first spring Tom with the 12.

I also have (2) crossbow options for the pop up blind but there is no doubt I will use my Barnett Recruit there.  It handles way easier than my front-heavy, much wider and longer Centerpoint sniper. 

If I do manage to kill a Tom with my .410 out in the field, I may try for the second one from that tree blind, with my Sniper crossbow. I designed that tree blind specifically for that crossbow.  I’d like to use a turkey “for target practice” from it, before I risk a shot on a far more valuable (to me) deer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The main reason that I took that .410 last spring when I hunted from my pop-up over there, was it handled easier inside of it (my 12 gauge 870 with 28” barrel was too long).  I also read of many on here that prefer hunting with a 20 gauge.  I didn’t get any shot opportunities with it then. 

I have also hunted other species of small game with that .410 for 34 years, and I am very confident with what I can do with it.  I think my chances of wounding a bird would be considerably greater with my 12 gauge.  Most importantly, I have already killed a turkey with that 12 gauge and found very little “sport” in it.  Add that all up, and it seems stupider for me to use the 12. 

That said, I will consider it since I will be hunting that spot from my open-topped tree blind this year, which does not have the tight-space issues that the pop-up blind has.  Maybe I will flip a coin and let that decide if I will go for my first spring Tom with the 12.

I also have (2) crossbow options for the pop up blind but there is no doubt I will use my Barnett Recruit there.  It handles way easier than my front-heavy, much wider and longer Centerpoint sniper. 
If I do manage to kill a Tom with my .410 out in the field, I may try for the second one from that tree blind, with my Sniper crossbow. I designed that tree blind specifically for that crossbow.  I’d like to use a turkey “for target practice” from it, before I risk a shot on a far more valuable (to me) deer.

A 410 with lead shot is a terrible idea! If you want to use your 410 for sentimental reasons use tss.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Wolc- you're  a good Man. However-- forget the " Sporting" aspect.

I would tell Hunters to take their Public Tom as quick as possible and go right out again without taking any " rest days"- because  you just killed one easy. Get right back out as no one is guaranteed  a 2nd Bird or even a first on Public.

Why- because Technology  has created a new Generation  of " Turkey Shooters". All my knowledge  does not equal TSS and 70 yard shots on Shotguns with the Tightest Chokes and the ever improving Red Dot on a Rail. 

I will be out there in my usual aggressive  mode as,I Hate to sit for Long. 

Bill, if liked eating dry cardboard a little more, I could forget about the “sport” part, but I can’t.  Turkeys are 98 % about the sport for me and 2% about the meat. 

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The main reason that I took that .410 last spring when I hunted from my pop-up over there, was it handled easier inside of it (my 12 gauge 870 with is 28” barrel was too long).  I also read of many on here that prefer hunting with a 20 gauge.  I didn’t get any shot opportunities with it then. 

I have also hunted with that .410 for 34 years and I am very confident with what I can do with it.  I think my chances of wounding a bird would be considerably greater with my 12 gauge.  Most importantly, I gave already killed a turkey with that 12 gauge and found very little “sport” in it.  Add that all up, and it would be stupider for me to use the 12. 

If I do manage to kill a Tom with my .410 out in the field, I may try for the second one from that tree blind, with them my Sniper crossbow. I designed that tree blind specifically for that crossbow.  I’d like to use a turkey “for target practice” from it, before I risk a shot on a far more valuable (to me) deer.

Okay, my friend....I respect your  reasoning..However, I have killed about 130  gobblers....  I have also  used a .410  with both 2.5  and 3"shells  for rabbits, squirrels and grouse.... And I would hesitate to take a shot a mature turkey gobbler with a regular 2.5  ( or 3") shell at 20 yards..Not talking all the fancy specialty stuff they have today.....Also, if you are using a single shot and just HAPPEN to screw up the first shot........My last comment on tis subject...Good luck..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A 410 with lead shot is a terrible idea! If you want to use your 410 for sentimental reasons use tss.

I plan on keeping shots under 20 yards.  Don’t you think # 6 high brass lead and full choke would do the trick from that range ?

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I plan on keeping shots under 20 yards.  Don’t you think # 6 high brass lead and full choke would do the trick from that range ?

MAYBE.....And if he stands out there at 27 yards, will you be able to resist the urge to shoot  ?   MAYBE.....

USE ENOUGH GUN  !!

• Like 1

Without seeing a pattern I would say no. I shoot 6 high brass from a 20ga with a custom choke, they have twice the payload and it’s a 25yd gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Without seeing a pattern I would say no. I shoot 6 high brass from a 20ga with a custom choke, they have twice the payload and it’s a 25yd gun.

I’ll set my decoy at 17 yards (right about where my clover seeder is) and I will be shooting from 12 ft up (platform is at 9’ with 3’ wall/gun rest), so gravity should help me a little.   
AD1F1E1C-A298-4872-A70A-AAA82BAA9C22.thumb.jpeg.0161faaf8d71ce87267c9fa0012dc911.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

I’ll set my decoy at 17 yards (right about where my clover seeder is) and I will be shooting from 12 ft up (platform is at 9’ with 3’ wall/gun rest), so gravity should help me a little.   
AD1F1E1C-A298-4872-A70A-AAA82BAA9C22.thumb.jpeg.0161faaf8d71ce87267c9fa0012dc911.jpeg

If you think you may need gravity to assist you in getting a clean kill you probably shouldn’t be doing it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Very few pellets in a 410, it's about pattern and density for penetration.  Both would be lacking from a 410. It's not squirrel or rarity hunting .  As for shooting with a crossbow ,  vital on a turkey are very small amd not where you think they are.  Really study shot placement for an broadhead , most  turkey archery hunters use very large broadhead ( 4 to 6 in ) and try for a neck shot at very close range, a bird stopper behind a normal broadhead may not be enough to keep it in the bird with a crossbow  and the spine / heart lungs is tiny target to begin with.. inthink you may have bird simply up and fly after a complete pass thru....

As for it being dry cardboard.. your cooking it wrong..  I'd take wild turkey over venison for dinner any day

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I've  seen big toms take a load of 12 gauge 4 shot turkey load drop like a rock then get up and run away. Useing a 410 for turkey sounds as silly as using a 22 for deer lol

• Like 3