How to get the rest of archery season

wolc123

I bought a Barnett Recruit this year ($250, 135lb draw, 300 fps). I did not see hardly any deer during the 2-week southern zone season. The last day I was able to hunt (Veterans Day), I finally got a chance at a 1-1/2 year old, 6 point buck that field dressed 165 pounds. The range was far (60 yards) and about 20 yards beyond any I had practiced. I had an o-ring type 3-blade, 125 grain mechanical broadhead. The buck was standing like a statue, and the shot was across an open field, and from a good rest. I aimed a little high, using the second dot on the factory site, and took the shot. The arrow struck thru the heart and penetrated about 8 inches total based on the broken shaft and broadhead inside the chest cavity. I was very impressed with this cheap little crossbow which has greatly exceeded my expectations on both the practice range and on the deer compared to any compound I have used. I would like to see the state give us the whole archery season. What can we do to get that done? The early part of the season would be the best time for me to fill my antlerless tags.

No offense here dude, but irresponsible shots like that are why im against full inclusions. 

Any hunter can make an irresponsible shot. The weapon doesn't matter.

That said, I wouldn't want the thread poster in my woods. He's a risk.

• Like 4

IMO, it's only irresponsible because he didn't practice at that distance or know exactly where to aim. Had he done both and the conditions were right, no wind and deer standing still, there would be nothing wrong with a 60yd shot. It's done all the time successfully out west in open fields on deer, antelope, elk, etc. if I ever go to Wyoming with my xbow, I will make sure I can shoot out to at least 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

I really like my Barnett Raptor. And I too am hoping for full inclusion for 2015. Don't know if DEC will have the authority to make the change or if politicians with little to no knowledge of crossbows will have to vote a change. Just have to wait and see. I do think full inclusion will come sooner rather than later. Although I have practiced out to 60 yards, my crossbow maximum is still the same as my compound at 30 yards. Even at 330 fps it takes a long time for that bolt to reach 60 yards and a deer can move a foot or more in that time frame even when not on alert.

When I took that shot, I guessed it to be about 50 yards. I didn't think that was too much of a stretch based on the extreme accuracy I had obtained at 40. My aim point was just below the spine, at the top of the lungs. Apparently the middle dot, on the Barnett stock sight that I used, was for 50 yards, as the bolt struck about 10" low, but right on left/right. The buck was absolutely fixed in position, posing like a tom turkey for a pair of un-bred does, and thus very firmly distracted. Everything about the shot was perfect except the range and I admit an error in judgement there.

I always limited my compound shots to 30 yards and I have had a few bad experiences wit "string jump" there. The only time I had those was when the buck or doe was alert, because I grunted or rattled him in or a glimpse of the draw was caught in the periforal vision. With a crossbow, the draw thing is obviously a non-issue. At beyond 50 yards, hearing the bow release is not likely. The odds of that buck "jumping" the arrow was as near zero as one could ever expect.

My biggest problem with the shot at that range with tat small crossbow was arrow penetration. On a broadside shot like that, pass thru should be the rule. 8 inches is sub-par. Someday I may upgrade to a faster, heavier draw model. Has anyone had any experience with one that would punch thru at 60 yards?. I would love it if I had opportunities for closer shots, but I didn't this year, and on the last day I could crossbow hunt, I was willing to go with a shot I figured I had better than 3/4 chance of making. Now that the freezer is near capacity after gun season, I will need to be at about 9/10 to take the shot. 40 yards and under will be the rule. A man has got to know his limitations. I have a pretty good idea of mine.

Wasn't going to post again, but you flat just flat admitted the shot was a guess and you got lucky.

Certainly a doable shot - when first sighted in so you know precisely the range for the dots verified at the range - and used with a rangefinder in the field at game.

It was plain luck you killed the deer and didn't wound it.

It will be 2 more years before you see full inclusion and a coursense for crossbow. As for far shots 70 yards with a compound on a 5 pt. Practiced and well within cabability. Everyone has their own ability and every situation presents a different ethical shot distance.

I would love it if I had opportunities for closer shots, but I didn't this year, and on the last day I could crossbow hunt, I was willing to go with a shot I figured I had better than 3/4 chance of making. Now that the freezer is near capacity after gun season, I will need to be at about 9/10 to take the shot.

So because your freezer was empty you were or are more than willing to take a bigger chance then you are when its full?  Are you saying you have more respect for filling the freezer than the game animal you are pursuing?   This statement just confuses and baffles the hell out of me.  Your shot taking chance standards should be just as high full freezer or not. 

• Like 3

My respect for the animal is constant.  My main purpose for hunting is to get meat, and I don't care a whole lot about antlers (I will have to spring for another mount this year for my big, old Adirondack rifle buck however).  That shot was a bit of a stretch also, with my 30/06 at about 300 yards, but I had practiced up to 400 with that gun at least.   I will try and post a picture of him on in the crossbow gallery if it is ok.   That wasn't my largest rack, but probably the heaviest and oldest buck I have ever taken.  The teeth were so worn that most of the acorns stuffing his belly were not even chewed.  I will have to ask the taxidermist the age. Without a doubt, I will take more chances with an empty freezer.  My wife, two fast-growing daughters and myself all love venison. 

How was your season this year? I know it is easy for folks to slam successful hunters, out of jealousy, if they didn't do so well themselves, but hang in there, next year will be better.   ML season also has a ways to go this year.   My best advise for being successful, hunting or anywhere else, is to stay right with the Lord.  Practice, read, put in lots of time, but you are only going to get that deer if the man upstairs wants you to.   I am 2/2 since being "born again" this past summer.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.        

My respect for the animal is constant.  My main purpose for hunting is to get meat, and I don't care a whole lot about antlers (I will have to spring for another mount this year for my big, old Adirondack rifle buck however).  That shot was a bit of a stretch also, with my 30/06 at about 300 yards, but I had practiced up to 400 with that gun at least.   I will try and post a picture of him on in the crossbow gallery if it is ok.   That wasn't my largest rack, but probably the heaviest and oldest buck I have ever taken.  The teeth were so worn that most of the acorns stuffing his belly were not even chewed.  I will have to ask the taxidermist the age. Without a doubt, I will take more chances with an empty freezer.  My wife, two fast-growing daughters and myself all love venison. 

How was your season this year? I know it is easy for folks to slam successful hunters, out of jealousy, if they didn't do so well themselves, but hang in there, next year will be better.   ML season also has a ways to go this year.   My best advise for being successful, hunting or anywhere else, is to stay right with the Lord.  Practice, read, put in lots of time, but you are only going to get that deer if the man upstairs wants you to.   I am 2/2 since being "born again" this past summer.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.        

Hell, with all the stuff I've done over the years, if it was up to the man upstairs I would probably never have gotten a deer.......I'll stick with preseason scouting to up my odds......

• Like 5

Every shot is a chance. They would call it killing instead of hunting if that wasn't true. You knew your equipment and took an educated guess. Sounds familiar. Unless you hunt with laser guided bombs. Practice equates education. And everyone I know who is over educated voted for Obama. You can never know it all.

Edited by Rhwrhwrhw0426

He practiced at 40 yards and guessed at a 50 yard shot with a crossbow . He got the deer . So , what's the big deal !

How many of you sight in a rifle at 100 yards and take a 200 yard shot ?

guessed at 50 but really 60,  a 10 yard misjudgement  is a pretty poor guess and even more so with archery gear.

absolutely no comparison between archery equipment and a rifle bullet in either trajectory or means of killing.

to think a deer cant hear a bowstring at 60 yards just baffles me. 

deer are not there for target practice. guessing where the arrow or bolt will hit is not showing respect to the animal or the sport.  shooting outside your known effective range will likely result in more injured and or dead and lost deer than killed and in the freezer deer.  sure sometimes you get lucky.   I would rather rely on known skill than luck. 

• Like 1

He practiced at 40 yards and guessed at a 50 yard shot with a crossbow . He got the deer . So , what's the big deal !

How many of you sight in a rifle at 100 yards and take a 200 yard shot ?

Both equally irresponsible.

Just luck neither ends up with a wounded animal.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah he took an irresponsible shot, but using that as a reason to block full inclusion is BS. Some push it way too far & take risky shots with every other weapon, too. If someone takes the time to learn his crossbow and it's limitations, he's no more likely to wound than the next guy. The people taking bad shots with a crossbow will be the same ones taking bad shots during gun season. You can't legislate poor sportsmanship. Find a better argument, or be honest that your opposition is really about selfishness.

• Like 1

And for the record, I'm not calling the OP irresponsible or saying he's not an ethical hunter. He took a poke that was farther than he practiced, oh well. Let's gang up and crucify the guy like we always do. It's always the same few experts who like to beat up on someone who makes a mistake. You guys are ridiculous, I hope to someday be 1/10 the master sportsman that some of you are.

• Like 2