The Expanded Antler Restrictions - Who is excited?

TheHunter

Man, when is enough enough with this topic. I don't even know why I still check it. I must enjoy getting aggravated. haha

We get it. More guys like AR than don't. fine! But there is no right an wrong here. Its all opinion.

Look at it this way, more teenage girls like justin bieber's music than those that don't. Doesn't mean that the music is any good, does it?

Those willing to put in the work to find a nice buck already have the opportunity to do so in some of these new AR areas. I know this. And if it doesn't happen for them, thats hunting. We accept it and come back willing to do battle next time. We don;t whine that joe shmo down the road shot a spike last week and now that deer will never grow old.

Man, when is enough enough with this topic. I don't even know why I still check it. I must enjoy getting aggravated. haha

We get it. More guys like AR than don't. fine! But there is no right an wrong here. Its all opinion.

Look at it this way, more teenage girls like justin bieber's music than those that don't. Doesn't mean that the music is any good, does it?

Those willing to put in the work to find a nice buck already have the opportunity to do so in some of these new AR areas. I know this. And if it doesn't happen for them, thats hunting. We accept it and come back willing to do battle next time. We don;t whine that joe shmo down the road shot a spike last week and now that deer will never grow old.

This is currently the hottest topic in hunting. Everyone seems to have an opinion, and I haven't heard of too many that are riding the fence on this one. It is interesting to hear all the different points regarding ARs. What is a bit disappointing is the number of threads all on the same subject, all at the same time. It certainly does water the discussion down considerably since nobody has time to access and respond to each and every one of them.

My two cents as a hunter in 4W,...... I honestly doubt we have the herd genetics to have AR's make that much of a difference in anything less than eight or ten years from now. I think it took PA bout that long. With limited access to doe permits were gonna be seeing a lot of poaching. I also think local businesses will suffer in an economy and an area where they probably counldn't withstand much more. With no real chance of getting dmu permits and 3 on one side restrictions the weekend warriors from downstate might just give up on Delaware Cty all together and go further north, or out of state all together. Once again NYS is being very short sighted and is probably yeilding to some lobby pressure. Makes you wonder if anyone from the DEC really knows what's going on in the Counties. Where we are all you see are does and they limit dmu permits, and we are not cabin hunters. We spend a lot of time in the woods. Want better bucks, I'm okay with AR's, but make the dmu permits more available. That seems like a reasonible balance to me,..... wait a minute we are talking about NYS here, forget I said reasonible.

I’m really excited for you guys in the AR area just seen what your chances are for a DMP. Wow hope you all bow hunt and ML hunt. Here are you chances for a DMP.

3A NO DMPS

3C HIGH FOR 1 DMP

3H PP REQ

3J HIGH FOR THE 1ST ONE AND MED FOR 2ND BEST CHANCE TO GET A DMP.

3K PP REQ

4G LOW

4O PP REQ

4P LOW

4R HIGH FOR 1ST ONE

4S HIGH FOR 1ST ONE

4W LOW

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

. Want better bucks, I'm okay with AR's, but make the dmu permits more available.

Two totally different goals for the two schemes. The DMP's are for heard population control. the AR's...well I guess the jury is still out on why these are needed. According to the DEC it is a social desire and has no biological benefit. Like Doc said, Doesn't seem to be many in a gray area...either for or against.

My two cents as a hunter in 4W,...... I honestly doubt we have the herd genetics to have AR's make that much of a difference in anything less than eight or ten years from now. I think it took PA bout that long. With limited access to doe permits were gonna be seeing a lot of poaching. I also think local businesses will suffer in an economy and an area where they probably counldn't withstand much more. With no real chance of getting dmu permits and 3 on one side restrictions the weekend warriors from downstate might just give up on Delaware Cty all together and go further north, or out of state all together. Once again NYS is being very short sighted and is probably yeilding to some lobby pressure. Makes you wonder if anyone from the DEC really knows what's going on in the Counties. Where we are all you see are does and they limit dmu permits, and we are not cabin hunters. We spend a lot of time in the woods. Want better bucks, I'm okay with AR's, but make the dmu permits more available. That seems like a reasonible balance to me,..... wait a minute we are talking about NYS here, forget I said reasonible.

Herd genetics has nothing to do with producing a good representation of age classes in the buck population... when refering to genetics I'm sure you mean antler genetics... which would be hard to know given the fact that the past hunting practices never allowed buck to reach an age to know their real genetic potential. As for taking 8-10 years to see the benefit of your AR program..that would be more because not all yearlings are being protected by the current 3 on a side rule... making it take a bit longer to see big results... probably nothing to do with genetics at all... I do agree that the DEC is either limited in real knowledge of how to manage herds in differing counties or has some other reason (possibly political) for limiting DMU permits... my guess is it is a little of both.

I just want to shoot a buck. The best buck to shoot would be a spike that is under 3", this way he can be put on my DMP tag, and then I can shoot another buck.

Yeah. I like shooting fawns myself. Buttonbucks are the best! The faded spots look nice on the hide.

That is just WRONG!!!! I carry a small can of model spray aint in brown to cover those up...just to avoid public opinion issues...lol

Aww, com'on Culver. I like killing the ones that are slightly larger than a toaster. This way, I can stuff them in my pack, sneak them out of the woods, and re-use my tag. Not only that, they are smaller and more challenging to hit. But the best reason is the taste, the milk sweetens the meat, and they have little muscle tone at this tender young age. I call it "Vealison"

AR is not going to solve the problem. We need to do it like the states that grow big deer.. 1 BUCK THAT'S IT! Shorten the gun season and we are in business. Ohio, Illinois, everyone claims these states have big deer because of the bucks diets, if you ask me it is because they enforce these two simple rules. Yes the beans and everything else helps but in the end they let you shoot more does and not as many bucks. NYS is backwards if you ask me and most hunters here are just meat hunters. Not that there is anything wrong with that but let us take some does out of the heard and save some of these bucks. In my area you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than drawing a doe tag without preference points

Yup, I don't give 2 sh*ts about age class.

And there in lies the problem.. many of you really care nothing about the whitetail or it's conservation. That's okay until you start complaining that there isn't the quality or number of deer to your liking.

And there in lies the problem.. many of you really care nothing about the whitetail or it's conservation. That's okay until you start complaining that there isn't the quality or number of deer to your liking.

Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get the f*#K over it.