What calibers have you taken deer with..?

Pygmy

Directed at me?

Maybe I should take up knitting?

I need a new scarf for winter.....start now maybe?

Hmmm....I seen Lawdwazs' garage wall of racks....he could expand on calibers if he changed more; there are quite a few.LOL

I take a different gun everytime; some have yet to be blooded, part of the fun.

20 ga (mostly using just the bird barrel and some cheapo slugs)

12 ga sabots

270 win (a couple whitetail bucks and a muley)

223 rem.....mostly head shots culling

375h+h (one doe)

50 cal inline and conicals

A handful with a bow

Add in other big game and it expands;300WBY;300RUM;458Lott;270WBY;45ACP;257WBY (a fast and flat addict with the WBY's and RUM, LOL).

Edited by Dinsdale

I'm trying to sell this Merkel for a friend, 470 Nitro Express. Unfired other than regulating, never even outside until I took these pics! 10,500 takes it.

I'd be happy to bring it down to you if you have an itch to scratch.......<grin>

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

Merkels nice.....sometimes that German animal engraving looks cartoonish. Like the splinter forearm too, that was an option; they usually have that big fatty beavertail that looks like crap.I would need a decelerator pad fitted. LOL

You post it on AR? May find a buyer there; popular caliber and maker.

I stored a 9.3x74 double for a military guy when deployed on reserves. That was Merkel; but built on a shotgun frame but not factory.A joy to shoot and fit me well; I have a standing offer to buy it if he sells and closer to my pay scale in price.

I had a Ruger 458Lott...beast of a gun at 11 lbs,ported barrel...but when on a hunt switched off and shot with someone elses 458. So technically I shot and killed with one, but really not mine. I sold it anyway to buy a 9mm when I got a handgun permit.

300 Savage, Model 99 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt round nose

30-06 Weatherby Vanguard 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt RN

20 ga Franchi ultra light auto Brenneke

12 ga Browning auto Brenneke

50 cal T/C Hawken 380 gr Great Plains bullet 72 gr Pyrodex

missed with a 243 Winchester in a Savage 99 100gr Remington

missed with a 7X57 Brno Mauser 98 I think 150 gr Remington RN

missed, thank God, with a Browning 45# recurve, never got my bow deer and my shoulder gave up the ghost for drawing a bow

Edited by Suilleabhain
  • Like 1

20-20.....vision. I gave them a cold hard stare...if looks could kill.

I have a story bout such a thing, but it involves squirrels rather than deer...

Two fellows were hunting squirrels in the Ozarks..They came around a bend in the trail and met a fellow who was carrying a dozen dead squirrels...He did not have a gun, bow , slingshot or weapon of any type...As they got closer they noticed that the fellow was INCREDIBLY ugly...So ugly he'd have to sneak up on a puddle to get a drink of water...

One of the hunters asked " How did you get all them squirrels, Buddy ?"

The homely guy said ' I just UGLY 'em to death. I sneak close to 'em and when they get a good look at my face, they just drop over dead.."

The hunter asked " Is there anybody else in your family that can do that ? "

The ugly guy said " Well, I took my wife squirrel hunting with me a few times but I had to quit bringin' her... She TEARS 'EM UP too bad.."..

• Like 2

ok lets see

300 savage 150 grain hornady soft points

25-06 115 grain nosler partition

30-06 125 grain remington core lokt

50 caliber ml round balls and sabots with various bullets

45 ml xpt's

357 mag 158 grain

7-08 140 grain core lokt

257 roberts 117 grain sierra game king

30-30 win 170 grain flat point

Im waiting to hear the story lol

I grew up on a farm 6 brothers and sisters. What we didn't raise for food we killed. Shot many a deer off the tractor doing farm work. Of course that was 45 years or so ago and times are different now.

Edited by Fanaddict

I grew up on a farm 6 brothers and sisters. What we didn't raise for food we killed. Shot many a deer off the tractor doing farm work. Of course that was 45 years or so ago and times are different now.

I grew up in the same post depression era as you did, Fanaddict...

I have no problem with that... I suspect many of the posters here may have bent a game law a little in thier youth, if they are honest enough to admit it.

Good grief, I am glad I don't have to answer for every illegal thing I did as a young man, but got away with.. Holy mackerel...I'd STILL be in jail..!!...I'm not talking just about game laws, either...