Who would

Dom

Well people, I'll be the first, maybe the only. Have never shot a doe. Have had plenty of chances. I let them pass. Ya Ya, I know, taking a doe is good for the deer herd. I like the 70+ lbs of meat off 180# bucks. and easier to process. A doe is a lot more work. Guess without bucks, I'd garage sale all my deer stuff.

Hey.. at least thats an honest answer.

How many of you would still hunt if it was big bucks only??

It would certainly dull my interest...I'd still go out a few times, but I'd spend more time fishing and hunting small game and birds..

I turned down an offer to hunt whitetails in Kentucky this year because it was a minimum 130 B&C hunt...I'm just not all that interested in hunting big whitetails..I'd much rather spend my $$$$ on say, a cow elk hunt.

if i didn't have some one to give meat to i'd scale back my hunting a lot, but buck, big buck,doe they are all the same to me. as for just big buck, i've turned down lots of hunts for big buck , in iowa,ohio,new brunswick, if i can get a deer here i would not shoot one in another state /province. it just take more work to get one here... and thats the part of hunting i enjoy!!

I would still hunt but the excitement would not be the same. I hunted one mature doe and she was smart and busted me every time. That challenge was fun but nothing like hunting a large dominant monarch of the woods. Nothing gets my blood pumping more than a big buck track the size of a 30-06 round. Something about a large mature dominant buck gets me fired up more than any doe will ever get me going... Even when I see a racked deer I am not going to shoot my blood gets pumping, just something special about hunting bucks...

• Like 1

Honestly, I probably wouldn't. I would then spend my November's in states where I could hunt bucks.

In the last 20 years my Dad and I have combined for 23 bucks (18 for him, 5 for me) out of 8 acres of private property in 3N and only took 1 doe out of there (my first deer at 16 years old). I know we should be taking does, however, when we see deer its usually 50-50 that it will be a buck. Ever year there always seems to be at least 1 7-9 point buck and a few smaller bucks and never overrun by does. Why is this? By shooting bucks each year do new ones move in? Any input would be great. Thanks.

I would probably leave the state if it was big bucks only... I'm all about conservation and whats best for whitetails... At my age I wouldn't tolerate a "no doe rule"... unless the reason was because of under population. I personally don't care whats best for me when it comes to nature.. especially whitetails. Past experience should tell us that the only reason there are whitetails in New York is because of conservation regulations... and for those who aren't aware of that fact.. go back and look at where the whitetail was back at the turn of the 20th century in NY when there were no rules.

Lets say anything with antlers beyond the ears, 8 points or better.

Hmmm.....that gets interesting.

For where I have to hunt and what I've seen......there wouldn't be a whole lot of shooting to do. Maybe; and thats a big maybe; you'd get a shot opportunity in some years.....

Hmmm.....that gets interesting.

For where I have to hunt and what I've seen......there wouldn't be a whole lot of shooting to do. Maybe; and thats a big maybe; you'd get a shot opportunity in some years.....

I agree.. but imagine it 3-4 years into it.. that's where it gets really "interesting"

I would probably leave the state if it was big bucks only... I'm all about conservation and whats best for whitetails... At my age I wouldn't tolerate a "no doe rule"... unless the reason was because of under population. I personally don't care whats best for me when it comes to nature.. especially whitetails. Past experience should tell us that the only reason there are whitetails in New York is because of conservation regulations... and for those who aren't aware of that fact.. go back and look at where the whitetail was back at the turn of the 20th century in NY when there were no rules.

Ido not know exact stat's how ever grocery store's have helped them come back,not only conservitive measure's.

Ido not know exact stat's how ever grocery store's have helped them come back,not only conservitive measure's.

What??? and who said anything about conservative measures?? C-o-n-s-e-r-v-a-t-i-o-n has little to do with grocery stores.

Edited by nyantler