Average hunter's age in NY

greybeard

I see very few young huters over the past few years, and read somewhere that the average hunter's age in N.Y. is 50 years old. I don't know how accurate that statistic is, but that's what I read on a hunting site.

I thought that the decline in young hunters was only down here. Do you see that upstate as well ?

Recruitment is indeed an issue - but like most things, there are a variety of factors. Honestly, I think access is the biggest. Some people point ot youth days, too many sports, activities, hunting age laws, etc. Really, it all traces back to access. Many of those who have, do. Plainly put.

I dont know about downstate, but about half my buddies hunt up here in Syracuse, and a good number of my older clients as well.. One would think more people hunt up here period, i mean there isnt much else to do in fall aside from football

If that is true hunting as a sport will die out... And will be used by very few individuals. I agree access is a big issue. Even up in the ADK I do not see the woods as having many access points. Any area's by towns are frowned upon for hunting and very few people cater to hunters except for motels and dinners. I always wondered why with so much land they would not make it easyer to access. Some area's you can drive for miles before you can pull over and hunt. If more area's were made accessable it would be more inviting to hunters in general.

Other issues are the way society views hunting as a whole. Most are misinformed and mislead to believe it is harmfull to the animals and hunting in a modern society is not needed.

Internet, video games etc. are watering down our values. Kids have so many options to take up thier time that the outdoors are the last thing they are interested in.

Best proposal I ever heard was the one where they were suppose to introduce hunting or outdoors survival into the class rooms, bet that never happens... It would work but good luck getting it past the liberals...

I know plenty of hunter's from 16 to 80 year's old.I would think the average age is some wher in the mid 30's to mid 40's,no disrespect to you older hunter's I enjoy going with my farther inlaw and he is 74.With 60 year's exp that he has I sure have learned alot.

No question that access is a biggie, but the problem of recruitment goes a lot deeper than that. We have been undergoing a societal change that works completely in opposition to the growth of hunting. The urbanization of America (the death of farming as a major family entity) is another. Also the "cool factor" has been lost with hunting as we and our off-spring slide deeper into technological recreation and a disdain for what used to be enthusiastically engaged in by a majority of kids years ago. The busy, non-stop, lifestyle of parents has left little time for outdoor recreation. I don't think a lot of us have kept an eye on how society has been changing. It's actually a very heavy impact on things that we have always taken for granted. There also are inroads that the anti-hunting factions have made in general attitudes of kids and adults alike. While we have held our own legally, there are certain attitudes regarding how humans relate to animals that their constant campaign has impacted. The list of reasons for the demise of hunting is a long one as has been shown in previous threads. It could be that hunting, fishing, trapping, and all things outdoors is in a powerful need of some hefty P.R. campaigns. And perhaps even that cannot turn around the image that hunting has among youngsters and adults alike.

So yes, hunting access is certainly one of the problems, but I do believe that it sits way down the list of reasons for recruitment failures.

NFa- ADK..I haven't hunted the Adirondacks for over 20 years, I thought the whole area was hunter friendly. I'm sorry to hear it's like that now.

Too bad that so many young people will never know the challenge and excitement of the hunt. They're missing a lot, I can't imagine my younger years without hunting..

I have to disagree with access statements. NY has a vast amount of public land, thousands upon thousands of acres. The way I see the problem is the instant satisfaction is not there and thats the world kids are growing up in now. Play a video game/instant satisfaction, play sports/instant satisfaction, watch tv/instant satisfaction, prep for hunting/long term satisfaction, sitting in the woods hunting and waiting for your chance/long term satisfaction. You get my point Im sure. The patience level for reward is disappearing with our youth. If they can fullill there happy bank in a short order or fill it in a long order which one you think they would choose? Fast paced America is the world we now live in.

yes the average age last time i heard was 49 for NY, but worse than that is that we have lost over 250 thousand hunters in just the last 20 years. the sport of hunting and the desire to be one with nature does nothing for the younger generation. i hate to see what things will be like in another 20 years fron now.

NFa- ADK..I haven't hunted the Adirondacks for over 20 years, I thought the whole area was hunter friendly. I'm sorry to hear it's like that now.

Too bad that so many young people will never know the challenge and excitement of the hunt. They're missing a lot, I can't imagine my younger years without hunting..

I am glad that I grew up with strong outdoor's.When I was younger you had to be outside,This stay in bed watch tv play video game's no no not in our house.Hunting/Fishing and some great family time's.

yes the average age last time i heard was 49 for NY, but worse than that is that we have lost over 250 thousand hunters in just the last 20 years. the sport of hunting and the desire to be one with nature does nothing for the younger generation. i hate to see what things will be like in another 20 years fron now.

do you think the reason is then they were true meat hunters where today they are more for the rack?

The way I see it correct me if I am wrong,But most of the younger generation sat in front of there TV filling there faces and if they were watching hunting programs,would see the giant racks being taken in Texas,Iowa and the other states.When they get to go with one of there parents or who ever,they most likley get frustrated or board,because they are not seeing the deer that they see on TV.And to get to that type of deer around where I live You have to be in very good shape because there are many a steep hill to climb to get to them.It is not the lack of land there is plenty of DEP land around where I live and State land,just that some of it is rough country.No ATV or UTV's allowed. .

• Like 1

The way I see it correct me if I am wrong,But most of the younger generation sat in front of there TV filling there faces and if they were watching hunting programs,would see the giant racks being taken in Texas,Iowa and the other states.When they get to go with one of there parents or who ever,they most likley get frustrated or board,because they are not seeing the deer that they see on TV.And to get to that type of deer around where I live You have to be in very good shape because there are many a steep hill to climb to get to them.It is not the lack of land there is plenty of DEP land around where I live and State land,just that some of it is rough country.No ATV or UTV's allowed. .

Yup you are correct,For got to mention when I was younger the only chanel's we got were 2-4-6 that is it was not until 1994 that we got cable/satelite so that is what we had to do.

Not at all sorry.But the TV is what has become of the day's that I even remeber.I am not that old to remember those day's never the less I was braught up that way,Age wise I'M only 37 but been around and listened to some smart/older men/women.It sound's like you are much older than myself and will learn from you to thankyou.

I'm not quite understanding...... there are few young hunters...Are you saying that none of you had kids...and then your kids didn't have kids?

I ask because in this area we are hunting families...taught our kids to hunt and pretty sure when they have kids...they'll be taught by them or us. one way or another

I'm not understanding the Doom and gloom unless those that are voicing this are the ones that....sorry ......are dropping the ball...so hunters only really have hunters to blame as I see it..not TV...not schools..just not getting the kids out there with them and sharing that time and love

I'm not quite understanding...... there are few young hunters...Are you saying that none of you had kids...and then your kids didn't have kids?

I ask because in this area we are hunting families...taught our kids to hunt and pretty sure when they have kids...they'll be taught by them or us. one way or another

I'm not understanding the Doom and gloom unless those that are voicing this are the ones that....sorry ......are dropping the ball...so hunters only really have hunters to blame as I see it..not TV...not schools..just not getting the kids out there with them and sharing that time and love

Grow I do not have any children my self but do have 50 plus nieces/nephew's and great one's.My Dad had 14 children and the oldest is 62 year's old.My Dad was born April 1935 and Mom 1942.I may not be that old in number's but have lived long enough to learn from my elder's.And you are correct it is the lack of family involvment.