Close call!!!

It's not a rilfe hole unless it is a .45 to .50 cal.. Even then...Much more likely from a shotgun slug..

A rifle bullet is not going to expand by hitting as thin a tissue as a deer's ear cartilage...

Most commonly used rifles ( from .35 cal. on down) would leave a much smaller hole than that..

No matter how bad I wanted a deer, never would I take that kind of shot. However, a farmer friend always shot them in the head, always tines, no matter how big, but he never missed. Like the picture quality.Those Coverts sure take nice pics. Hay looks good in those pics.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I shot a deer two years ago on Long Island during the first week of October and the doe two small wounds at the bottom of her brisket. It really is amazing what they endure and the fact that someone had to shoot at her well before the season began!!

It's not a rilfe hole unless it is a .45 to .50 cal.. Even then...Much more likely from a shotgun slug..

A rifle bullet is not going to expand by hitting as thin a tissue as a deer's ear cartilage...

Most commonly used rifles ( from .35 cal. on down) would leave a much smaller hole than that..

Good observation and plausible.

I shot a buck about 3 years ago during BP season . He had an broken arrow down through his neck .

I finished one off last yr with the same thing, down through the neck and between the shoulder blades. He was pretty much on his last legs and the DEC gave me another tag. My uncle shot a 4 point 10 yrs ago that had 2 broadheads broken off and healed over in his shoulder. Talk about an unlucky deer.