What kind of projectile? Whatcha Packing?

Top ramen

I am curious as to what type of projectile most are using, in what, and over what quantity of charge.

An impromptu survey

Barnes 250gr TMZ Spitfire, .45 in yellow .50 sabot

100gr by volume Blackhorn 209

T/C Impact muzzleloader, 25" barrel

Remington Primer

I have used this set-up for two years now. I am very confident with 200 yards but shot most of my deer 40-100 yards (6 in last two years). I tried Pyrodex 100gr worth of cylinders with fouling issues. I also tried the power-belts at the range only and did not like.

The Barnes bullet set-up is harder to push even with a clean unused barrel. I figure that compression to seat the bullet is necessary for better speed and found a great pair of insulated leather work gloves from Berne to protect hands from ramrod.

Hornady 300gr. XTP with 2 -50gr. pyrodex pellets. They fly awsome out of my Knight inline .

I picked up a box of TC shock waves 300gr, last season because the XTP's are getting hard to find. I might try out the TC's this year if I can get them to fly right

My one and only frontloader is an early (1973 vintage) T/C Hawken .50 caliber with a tang peep sight, since my old eyes no longer can focus on the standard open rear sight.

For years I used a PRB with 90 grains of loose FF blackpowder or Pyrodex.

For the last ten years I have used a 460 grain NoExcuses conical with 80 grains of loose FFF Triple 7. From the bench I can keep my shots on a Skoal can at 100 yards. It shoots quite flat to 100 yards and then starts dropping fast, but that's no problem because the longest shot I have ever taken with it was around 75-80 yards.

cva wolf .50

24 in barrel

300 gr. aerolite power belts w/ballistic tip

150 gr. pyrodex pellets.

triple seven 209's

tried the 250 gr aerolite's at multiple powder intervals and just couldn't get a consistent group.. so bumped it up to 300 gr. and that did the trick.. feel good out to 200,,,

H&R sidekick 87.5 grains by volume (60 grains by weight) bh 209. Harvestor crush rib sabot 240 grain flat nose lead .429 bullet 777 primers

Tc renegade 54 cal 90 grains goex ffg patched round ball rws #11 caps

Tc grey hawk just getting started

Tc encore 45 caliber 100 grains of bh 209 40 cal 200 grain bullet harvestor blue sabot cci primers.

Tc new englander 12 gauge 80 grains goex ffg 1 1/4 ounces of shot. fiber shot wads and over shot card

90gr of T7 with a .452 300gr Deep Curl wrapped in a crush rib sabot for my TC X7 from the start of muzzle loadeer season right throught the last weekend of rifle. On that day I will carry my NEF Heritage loader with 90gr of T7 and a 460gr No Excuses. The super 91-11 is going to be a safe queen this year , or atleast that is the plan as of now.

Melvin sure does build a nice rifle, nice NULA.

Good luck to all with this season.

Edited by sbuff

• 2 months later...

TC Prohunter 50 cal loaded with 250gr Hornady SST low drag sabots, in front of 150 grs of 777, and lit up with Remington Klean-bore primers. that'll change though until i get single-hole groups. right now it's 1" and under. seems the combo likes slightly warmer temps of september than the late december cold.

• 5 weeks later...