Don't Be Stupid, Like Me....

Cabin Fever

Exactly 3 years ago this month, I fell out of my treestand while out checking stands. I always wore my safety harness while hunting, but this day, I just happened to be out checking trailcams, and unexpectedly, thought I would check stands too, and kill two birds with one stone. I climbed up 20', looked the stand over, tried to shake it, but seemed rock solid. I grabbed a limb for balance (that I have used over the past 3-4 years everytime I got into this stand) as I transferred my weight from the climbing stick to my stand. I heard a "snap", when the now dead limb broke, and I knew I was screwed... I didn't panic, but was almost at peace, understanding that I was either gonna be dead or paralysed when I hit the ground and at that point, freefalling, it was out of my hands. The first thing I said was, "Oh Rose" (my wifes name), almost apologizing for my stupid mistake. I remember hitting the ground and rolling down the hill. When I opened my eyes, I slowly moved my arms and legs. I almost chuckled to myself, thinking I had just fallen 20', I was still alive and apparently didn't get hurt! I stood up, fell over, THEN the pain hit! I knew I had broken my foot. Not knowing if I had any internal injuries, that the adrenaline was covering up, I grabbed my cell and called my wife, to let her know my location. I then crawled and hobbled on one foot ~1/4 mile back to camp.

LONG story short, I broke my foot in 2 places. But, that has proven to be the least of my problems. I have so much joint damage, bone on bone grinding, and now arthritis in about every joint in my foot, that I have terrible daily pain and it limits my day to day activities. I also just scheduled my 3rd surgery (for AFTER hunting season, of course)! When it first happened, and with each surgery, I've been laid up for several months each time. The doc is telling me with the next surgery (fusing several joints and installing lots of hardware), I'll be out of work for at least 6 months.

While I was laid up the first time, I ordered the HSS Life Lines for every stand that I have. I am now attached to the tree from the time I take my first step off the ground until I climb back down and my feet touch the ground! My kids have both recently started hunting and ever since day 1, I bought them each a HSS Pro Series safety harness!

I know I got out of this treestand fall VERY lucky, as the outcome could have been much much worse. Moral of this story, don't be stupid and be sure to wear a safety harness at all times when you are off the ground! I've learned that most treestand falls happen when you are making that transisition between steps and the stand, just like mine. You could even have a medical issue (heart attack, stroke, diabetic attack, pass out, dizzy, or whatever) in the stand that could cause you to fall out of the stand. That safety harness will save your life!!!

Plus, if you don't wear a safety harness for yourself, do it for your wife, kids, parents, or other loved ones that are depending on you returning home safely...

Be safe and happy hunting.

I use a harness when in a stand but have never used anything while climbing . That is when a fall could take place .

Growalot is the only one that I recall has talked about how she uses a clip and climb method while going up a ladderstand . One thing for sure ...... don't carry anything in your hands while climbing so you can hold onto the ladder with both . Use a line hoist for your bow , etc ..

Exactly 3 years ago this month, I fell out of my treestand while out checking stands. I always wore my safety harness while hunting, but this day, I just happened to be out checking trailcams, and unexpectedly, thought I would check stands too, and kill two birds with one stone. I climbed up 20', looked the stand over, tried to shake it, but seemed rock solid. I grabbed a limb for balance (that I have used over the past 3-4 years everytime I got into this stand) as I transferred my weight from the climbing stick to my stand. I heard a "snap", when the now dead limb broke, and I knew I was screwed... I didn't panic, but was almost at peace, understanding that I was either gonna be dead or paralysed when I hit the ground and at that point, freefalling, it was out of my hands. The first thing I said was, "Oh Rose" (my wifes name), almost apologizing for my stupid mistake. I remember hitting the ground and rolling down the hill. When I opened my eyes, I slowly moved my arms and legs. I almost chuckled to myself, thinking I had just fallen 20', I was still alive and apparently didn't get hurt! I stood up, fell over, THEN the pain hit! I knew I had broken my foot. Not knowing if I had any internal injuries, that the adrenaline was covering up, I grabbed my cell and called my wife, to let her know my location. I then crawled and hobbled on one foot ~1/4 mile back to camp.

LONG story short, I broke my foot in 2 places. But, that has proven to be the least of my problems. I have so much joint damage, bone on bone grinding, and now arthritis in about every joint in my foot, that I have terrible daily pain and it limits my day to day activities. I also just scheduled my 3rd surgery (for AFTER hunting season, of course)! When it first happened, and with each surgery, I've been laid up for several months each time. The doc is telling me with the next surgery (fusing several joints and installing lots of hardware), I'll be out of work for at least 6 months.

While I was laid up the first time, I ordered the HSS Life Lines for every stand that I have. I am now attached to the tree from the time I take my first step off the ground until I climb back down and my feet touch the ground! My kids have both recently started hunting and ever since day 1, I bought them each a HSS Pro Series safety harness!

I know I got out of this treestand fall VERY lucky, as the outcome could have been much much worse. Moral of this story, don't be stupid and be sure to wear a safety harness at all times when you are off the ground! I've learned that most treestand falls happen when you are making that transisition between steps and the stand, just like mine. You could even have a medical issue (heart attack, stroke, diabetic attack, pass out, dizzy, or whatever) in the stand that could cause you to fall out of the stand. That safety harness will save your life!!!

Plus, if you don't wear a safety harness for yourself, do it for your wife, kids, parents, or other loved ones that are depending on you returning home safely...

Be safe and happy hunting.

Very timely, thank you for the reminder.

Glad your alive and walking...limp or not...good subject...please let me add...

You mentioned possible passing out for what ever reason and that I know is a great possibility for ANYONE...some guys think well no vest needed...my ladder stand has a shooting rail and I'm sitting...Let me tell you should you pass out...two things can happen..

1. you flip over that flimsy rail

2. you slide off the seat and under the rail

always stay hooked in...Have fun and go home at the end of the day...in an upright position....

Incase anyone is not familiar with the HSS Life Life, this is it. There is also a video if you would like to watch. http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/lifeline/

I understand that you can also make your own using a prussic knot and some high strength rope. After what I've been through (and going through), I'll spend the $ and buy a quality HSS Life line though, so I have no worries.

Glad you are telling this story, sorry it happened to you. I was just telling my husband last night that i didn't think i was going to wear the harness. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass for when i needed to go to the bathroom. I thought since i have a platform with a railing it wasn't really needed. i also thought how am i going to hook up and get up and down. Think i can figure it out after your story. Think i almost had tears when you said "Oh Rose"

Glad you are telling this story, sorry it happened to you. I was just telling my husband last night that i didn't think i was going to wear the harness. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass for when i needed to go to the bathroom. I thought since i have a platform with a railing it wasn't really needed. i also thought how am i going to hook up and get up and down. Think i can figure it out after your story. Think i almost had tears when you said "Oh Rose"

Hey don't not do it. Where a harness!! lol. I started wearing a harness last year, if for no other reason than my family's peace of mind.

For this very reason I now remove all branches to over my head on a tree I have put a stand in. I dont trust myself not to grab them. I use to worry the deer would see me without all the cover but I still kill deer. I use extra screw in steps as handles and not branches. Hope the foot feels better.

Edited by erussell

thanks for the post and glad your OK to tell the story!! Its a reality that these incidences can and do happen. I said it last year that i was purchasing a HSS and never did. I told the wife i was without a doubt buying a safety harness i have been looking at from Scent Blocker called the tree spider. I am 100% grabbing one before the season...

I hate to say it, but to me, it's like playing Russian roulette climbing into a stand without a safety harness. I hope I'm not jinxing anyone...

I know I got off "easy", but man I'm in such pain every day, that I sometimes wish the doctor would cut my damn foot off! Not just that, but thinking about all the $$$ that I've had to pay for the ER, surgeries, doctors bills, MRI's, x-rays, physical therapy, lost wages, etc...

Edited by Cabin Fever