Slug Guns - What do you shoot? What works best?

Some of you get phenomenal shots out of your smooth bores. I never got any kind of groups shooting smoothbores at 100 yards. 50 yards, no problem, but they have always opened way up at 100. In fact, I have never seen anyone shooting a smooth bore get any where near 2 or 3 inch groups @ 100.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both these deer were hundred yard shots off a rest...both shoulder shots ...except the hang doe turned toward me at the shot and it went under her shoulder and split her heart...I've been shooting this set up 30 yrs.....'

I would never attempt this...and he wouldn't again either...but when we were young....... with his 16ga smooth bore Mr.B shot an 8pt buck at 240+yrds and dropped it in it's tracks...We were standing in a ridge looking down the hill and he spotted the buck.....knowing the drop of ammo from target practice he figured how high he'd need to aim and took the one shot...

Shotguns, like rifles, are individuals...Some shoot ceratin projectiles very well, and others not so well...For 40 years or so, until the state of NY saw the error of its ways and allowed us to use rifles, I hunted deer with shotguns and slugs...

Back before the days of rifled shotgun barrels, a 6" group at 75 yards was pretty good...There were a few smoothbores that would group inside 4-6" consistently at 100 yards or a little farther... Most of them that I remember were Ithaca Deerslayers..

Once rifled slug barrels became readily available, groups shrunk.. The Rem 1100 that I used for 20 years or so had a 21" fully rifled barrel and would group from 2" to 4" consistently at 100 yards  from the bench with Win BRI 2 3/4" slugs...  In my experience the lower velocity sabot slugs tended to group better than the high velocity or 3" slugs, but as I have said, every gun is an individual..

Haven't carried mine in 3 years since I got my muzzle loader. I have an 1187 with a cantilevered rifled barrel. I have had it on a bench at a buddies range in Maine and I shot it out to 300 yards. Federal premium sabots are it's prefered diet. benched and bagged I got pie plate accuracy out to 250 yards. Would never take a shot out there with it.........but it was really cool to see the hold over and the grouping.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...I think I am the first person on here to list a single shot slug gun as his go to slug gun...I shoot an H&R 1871 Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe in 12GA...I have a 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Trophy scope mounted on it as there are no rifle sites.  I shoot Lightfield Hybred EXP sabot slugs out of her...Lower recoil and extremely accurate...I like it and that is all that matters...Does a job on the deer too.

HRUltraSlugger12GA-1-2.jpg

About the same vintage as Doc's Ithaca (1969), purchased while in USAF at post exchange for ~$100.

A Browning Auto Light 12 Belgium made with a vented rib, improved barrel, bead sight. Shoots most slugs ok for an open sight.

If I had a scope, I'd experiment with slugs.

It too has an impressive pile of venison to it’s' credit.

Have retired it for my TC Triumph.

WNY, Yeah I have one as well. Great gun. Mine is a 20g. It likes the remington Accu-Tips.

USH1.jpg

Nice Ford. Thats exactly what Im thinking of if I get another slug gun. What kind of groups and distances are you getting out of it?

WNYBuck,

Here are some 100 yard groups I had from last year. I hope to do some more shooting soon..It gets expensive with these slugs..

0828091154.jpg

0828090945.jpg

It's not that hard to reload a single shot as I have done it with my NEF 12 ga although the deer didn't bolt it ran a few yards and stopped but I was already reloaded. I was using the stock band with slug holders at the time. I moved up to a Remington 870 with rifled canterlivered barrel. It came with a scope and extra smooth bore gold bead barrel. I got mine in 20 ga and love it. I usually hunt rifle zones but my club is in a shotgun zone and my land has close neighbors so I only use shotgun there by choice. If I only hunted shotgun I would look at the Savage bolt action slug gun. Bolts are supposed to be the most accurate

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my Mossberg 12 ga 500 pump, with money I earned working for my grandfather on the farm, when I was 12 years old >:)

Under 100 yards I'd rather have my  Mossy than an 60 cal machine gun.  With the rifled barrel direct from Mossberg (I ordered 2 by mistake) it is quite simply a murdering machine.  I shoot 3' remington sluggers through the barrel.  I have never NOT 1 shot 1 killed an animal with that gun, I love it to death.  She doesn't take no for an answer, and that's the way I like it.

• 4 weeks later...