The Deer Rifle

Doc

Picked up a Thompson Center Venture in .308 for myself this year after year's of being pounded by a 30-06.........wanted an Icon, but got tired of waiting. This gun is an absolute tack driver. Recoil is hardly noticeable and factory ammo is cheap....about $600.00.

Another example of why to stay away from those big boys

Back when I bought my .223 I took a look at the Thompson Center single shot break-action rifles. They definitely will be on the list to look at. I don't see the single shot feature as being any kind of a handicap. Generally speaking, I really only use one shot anyway.

I recently purchased a 7mm08. This gun is so accurate and light, its rediculous, Recoil is nothing. I highly recommend it. Weatherby is what i got, i bought it used but "never fired" off a buddy. I got 2 deer with it ths year, so it is now my gun of choice.

Edited by tughillhunter

.223 would be my last choice.....save the light tackle for fishing.

Just curious why would it be your last choice? Have you ever used one on a whitetail? I see many people on this sight talking about how 17 cal is amazing on coyotes and that has little to no ballistic impact comapared to a 223 yet everyone seems to think its so under gunned for a deer. Is everyone paroting other people or this someone have a legit reason why?

Take Dinsdale's advice on the scope..

The .223 is underrated for deer..Very capable with proper bullets...

No flies on the .243...It has lots of deer to it's credit..

My advice would be the 7MM08...Similar ballistics to the .270 or .280 or 7 x 57 with noticeably less recoil, since recoil might be an issue in your decision..

Edited by Pygmy

Doc, It seems you have made up you mind on the .270 caliber,it will get the job done. And you are right ho many times do get a chance on more then one shot.As far as shooting off of a bench, it is a slow fire game to try to get (as in archery ) a robin hood shot.One thing to remember the heaver the rifle the less it is going to kick.You do not have to go for the top of the line Tompson Center Rifles to kill a deer.I had one of the early ones with six different caliber barrels, some with and some without scopes,the scope models were not that hard to reload for a second shot.The remind me of the three different caliber Ruger model # 1's that I had.As far as scopes I have had just about every one of the better ones from Brand A to Z and I think the best bang for the buck is the Bushnell scopes.

Back when I bought my .223 I took a look at the Thompson Center single shot break-action rifles. They definitely will be on the list to look at. I don't see the single shot feature as being any kind of a handicap. Generally speaking, I really only use one shot anyway.

Put a 270 ro 30/06 barrel on your T/C. sounds like a plan. . MY buddy has a 270 on an H&R single shot & is deadly accurate with it, its a nice little gun for the money. I have one in 223 for varmit hunting and it shoots great also. JMO.

A Remington mountain rifle in 7mm-08 has been my father's bread and butter for a lot of years now. From the bigger bodied bucks of the ADK's to the slightly smaller bodied bucks of the farm country, it's got PLENTY of knock down power with little recoil. Ruger just came out with a new rifle, the Ruger "American" it retails for $450 or $550, I don't exactly remember which, but it got fantastic feedback in the Outdoor Life rifle tests for 2012 models. It's not offered in 7mm-08 but it is offered in .308 which is the big brother of the 7mm-08. Like I said, it got great reviews and has some newer Ruger innovation.

Put a 270 ro 30/06 barrel on your T/C. sounds like a plan. . MY buddy has a 270 on an H&R single shot & is deadly accurate with it, its a nice little gun for the money. I have one in 223 for varmit hunting and it shoots great also. JMO.

He doesnt want much kick and youre talking an Encore in 270 or 30-06? I dont think Doc is a defensive lineman in the NFL lol.

I bought my son for his 14th birthday a Ruger M77 in .243. Killed his first buck opening day at 7:10am at 135 yards one shot at the base of the neck. Dropped it where it stood. 100 grain Winchester Super X. The other caliber I'd recommend and that no one has mentioned is the 25.06 Either of these calibers fit your request perfectly. Fast, flat shooting, low recoil and deadly accurate. The .243 probably less costly for ammo. The boy is now 18 and never asks for anything with more power and did I tell you what an amazing coyote gun it is with 58 grain Hornadys... like 4000 ft per second.

Edited by nybuckboy

7mm-08 would prob suit you well. I don't have one but my aunt does. She and my uncle go moose and caribou hunting every year and that is what she uses. I would say it will knock down a bear if you see one. Or like mentioned above, the good ole 25-06. I love mine.

Edited by chiefbkt

I think it's pretty obvious why a .222 or .223 is not an ideal deer rifle, if you had the perfect shot every time, maybe, but why would anyone go down to the smallest acceptable caliber and choose that to shoot deer? way too many variables.......another consideration, if you already have a 30-06 or .308, try the managed recoil ammo, world of difference as far as recoil goes.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty obvious why a .222 or .223 is not an ideal deer rifle, if you had the perfect shot every time, maybe, but why would anyone go down to the smallest acceptable caliber and choose that to shoot deer?

Exactly. Why in the world would anyone be looking to buy ONE good deer rifle and then choose the bottom of the barrel caliber as far as deer calibers go? Makes absolutely NO sense. I see absolutely NO reason why anyone other than the youngest of hunters would have issues with recoil from the traditional calibers in the .30-06 and .308 family of cartridges. It's not like you are getting hit by a truck shooting these guns. If gun recoil bothers someone, then maybe they shouldn't shoot or hunt, but take up knitting or tiddlywinks instead.

Doc if you considered a lever I would look at a Browning as an option. Mostly because I want one so every one should have one, lol.

I'm a bolt action kinda guy, but I must admit that the BLR is a very neat and nice handling rifle..

My buddy in Ontario has two, a 22-250 that he uses for coyotes, and a .308 for deer and moose.

I passed a good deal a few years back on a BLR in .308 and I've regretted it ever since.

I'm a bolt action kinda guy, but I must admit that the BLR is a very neat and nice handling rifle..

My buddy in Ontario has two, a 22-250 that he uses for coyotes, and a .308 for deer and moose.

I passed a good deal a few years back on a BLR in .308 and I've regretted it ever since.

And thats why when I find what I consider a good deal I have a very hard time passing it up. Steve863 knows a guy that got one with a Leupold for @$400 a few years back, he actually called the guy for me but the owner gave it to his brother, so close yet so far. I figure that was one hell of a deal the guy got considering the price of them now.

Doc. I would suggest the .308 Winchester. reloading components are easy to get and there is a wide range of bullets. I have a reduced recoil load I use in my Encore pistol and i could shoot the pistol all day and not have a sore hand. Groups great to 200 yards. you can load up to loads capable of Elk / moose or bear.