Anyone else feel this way??

Renegade Hunter

Not to disrespect any hardcore, diehard hunters from the city.. But I have to say I hate being from up-state NY and have all these city hunters come up here turning the woods into a damn war zone. If your goal is to come up here and blast anything that moves you're wrong. And if it takes you 5 shells to get it done then quite frankly you shouldnt be in the woods. It's sad when you don't even want to go out and hunt in fear of some guy blasting at you through the brush. I dont even want to step on the state land that borders our 50+ acres. Anyone else feel the same??

• Like 1

You can walk into a local place and talk to these people. There are usually more of them than there are of your usual regulars. I live in a town with a population of roughly 1400. Theyre actually fairly easy to spot parked all over the sides of the roads bordering state land. Keep in mind I'm not here to argue. Just stating my opinion.

I hunted for about 20 years in North Pharsalia off of One Eye road ( 7500 A's ) of state land. Now I sure always hear lots of shots from deer drives after opening day but sure can not tell from the shots if they are from LI or from Norwich .....I had a smalll archery shop and sure loved to see hunter coming into the area and stoping buy for arrows, lure and other misc items... it helped my overal profit. I am sure the other local busines also thank all from coming into the area. I now live over in Oneonta NY, to be closer to the kids etc. I rather be hunting in North Pharsalia on state land than over here were all you see is posted signs and no state land. Be thankfull for what you got. The shots will also move the deer around.

• Like 1

Renegade Hunter- you say you aren't looking for an argument, yet you create a post trying to trash out-of towners (or city hunters as you call them)?? :ok:

I spend a lot of time at the range, and in the woods. And I live 10 miles from a major city. Sorry bud, but there are just as many lousy shots who live in in the mountains as there are in the burbs.

I used to remember this type of animosity between the locals & out-of-town hunters 40 years ago when I started hunting...I guess it still exists.

Each group has its own bad apples. A lot of hunters come from downstate so its easy to stereotype them. Some may not be the type you like but they help the economy in some pretty depressed areas. I have been hunting for a long time. I come from Long Island and own a camp in the Southern Tier. I have seen it go both ways with the upstate and downstate thing. One thing I do have to talk about. My brother in law moved upstate from Long Island over 35 years ago. His father in law took him aside and told him we do things differently up here, watch and learn and keep your mouth shut for a while. He did just fine. My brother in law told me this story because I too needed the lesson when I started hunting and spending so much time up there. I built up a great circle of friends and it continues to grow. I hope your situation gets better, get through Thanksgiving weekend and you will probably have the place to yourself again.

I was never shot at in the southern tier, nor did it sound like a war zone. I hunted in dutchess county with a school friend who moved and still resides there. This was 20 years ago. He has a farm, which is private land. The sad part was he had to paint the word cow on the side of his cows as every year one or two got shot in his pastures on his private land. I guess respect in hunting has gone out the window. The me me generation is taking over for sure. We would sit the back side of his farm and count the guys marching in on public land and setting up where if a deer dared walk through, someone was going to get shot. I will stay here and hunt, not because I think city people can not hunt and do well at it, but because the risk factor is way too high. Look at the posts on here about hunting in the southern tier and tell me it sounds appealing to someone not from there.

You can see the same at letchworth every year but they have the same rights as any of us. I dont like being around the crowd so i jump over the side and let the group work for me. And work it does! Just have to use your head and deal with it for a few days, After the first week its a great place to hunt again!

well I am an out of stater & hunt state land in 8N

I can say that I don't know where they are from but this was the reason we stopped going there during rifle season was scared for my life we actually had a group of hunters put on a drive right through our stands & NO KIDDING these drivers were shooting randomly in the air to try & move deer were not even safe in our tree stands Bow season is so much better

No - it's the pick up driving, beer drinking, road hunting locals who go anywhere they want "cause I always hunted here" that

bother me. Not looking for an argument or trashing locals, pick ups, or beer drinking. Just stating my opinion of course. :biggrin:

• Like 5

It doesn't matter who's doing it.... local....city or..out of staters ..It happens and it's not the "Me" generation for it's been happening for years....it's certainly $$$..."I payed damn good money and I'm not going home empty handed"...It's bragging rights and egos's

If one wants to say it's gotten worse over the years...then start looking at the TV shows and magazines....I had one guy shoot a nice 8pt. and say "Wow not as good as yours but I got an 8pt"...I really found that sad...I replied he had a great buck and he can't compare for it is just the luck of the draw...my buck was in the wrong place at my right time....hunters need to stop comparing and just start enjoying....

• Like 2

I have seen some pretty crazy behavior with hunters over the years, but have yet to see one with a sign around his neck saying he was a "city hunter". I really can't tell the city hunter from the local at first glance .... lol. I doubt that there really is much of a difference between the two.

Maybe that guy that walked up to me and started talking while cradling his gun in his elbow was from the city. I did have to make a point of the fact that the muzzle was pointed at my mid-section. And then the guy a bunch of years ago that wanted to talk while the muzzle of his shotgun rested on the top on his boot might have been a city hunter, but I have no way of knowing. And then there was the guy that was having a real challenge standing up that had the flaming red eyes and stunk like he was soaked in whisky .... he might have been a "city hunter". Then there is the occasional guy that likes to still-hunt right up my posted line so that he can cover my side of the line as well as the other. They might be city hunters. I don't know, those guys and a bunch of other clowns that I have witnessed over the years doing stupid or unethical things might have been "city hunters", or they might have been guys from just up the road or over the hill, or some farmer from another county. Who knows. Like I said they don't wear signs.

• Like 4

Their are bad hunters and great hunters everywhere... Lots of locals that hunt poorly, or without ethics... Had a local park in the filed I was hunting after he drove past my truck... Then when he finaly left, he sat in his truck 125 yards from my wifes blind till end of shooting light.. The deer would not come out in the field like they do every night, because they can see the truck from the woods... Wife was not happy.. and yes.. she did wave her orange hat out the blind window and then just left it hanging out so he HAD to see it.. just didn't care... Not worth confronting him.. it's still just a deer...

I have met a few city hunters and some of them are excellent hunters ,some of the others not so. I have also met many locals that are good to excellent hunters and then there are some that I don't want to be in the same woods when they are out. As to five shots, that happens sometimes.

Here's my take:

The majority (not all) city hunters are hunters who did not group up with hunting in their tradition so are fairly new to the sport of not just hunting but shooting as well compared to the rural hunters. This also makes them nervous hunters...good and bad. Some will shoot out of jitters...others freeze and don't shoot at all. But a good number of them are still in awe with nature, grew up surrounded by animal loving liberals, and have an extreme fear and respect for guns.

I think a very few city hunters go hutning acting like it's some sort of game, act arrogant and careless, throw trash every where, drink beer, and blow up random animals just for the heck of it.

The main reason the city hunters get a bad rap is the shear number of them. Purely hypothetically speaking. If 20% of the 10 rural hunters are bad, you have 2 bad rural hunters. If 10% of the 100 city hunters are bad, you have 10 bad city hunters.

Edited by Elmo

Lol well I appreciate the feedback from everyone. And I agree, I have spent 17 years learning the "trade" and I am only 24. And I still have so much to learn. I just hope these guys that come up and share the woods with us locals take some time to at least read up and learn a few things themselves, instead of going in it with the "brown down" mentallity, and kill everything they see just to say they got one... And yes I have seen some people up here that you wouldn't catch me dead in the woods with.

• 1 month later...

I actually knew a man whom had one of his cows shot and killed by a "city-boy" that thought it was a large "BLACK & WHITEDEER!" He even asked my farmer friend if he could hire him and his tractor to haul it to his truck as it ws too big and heavy to drag! Talk about freakin' stupid! He got his butt sued for the milk and calves that the cow may have produced in a lifetime.

Lol well I appreciate the feedback from everyone. And I agree, I have spent 17 years learning the "trade" and I am only 24. And I still have so much to learn. I just hope these guys that come up and share the woods with us locals take some time to at least read up and learn a few things themselves, instead of going in it with the "brown down" mentallity, and kill everything they see just to say they got one... And yes I have seen some people up here that you wouldn't catch me dead in the woods with.

There is the reason. Brown its down is what you do not like. Honestly, when you have to drive up 2-6 hours and spend $80-100 in gas and tolls and have to make it back home late sunday night to work Monday am in the city, as long as it is legal within antler restrictions as well, if its Brown its down is right. If the brown its down guys lived near the woods, I'm sure you will see a change in the way they hunt and be more selective. Many of us just do not have that luxury and I hope you understand that.

Now, as for crazy guys, I agree on both ends. You know, there are two sides to the story, and I have seen many crazy city guys as well as many crazy local guys. Both sides have em. Lets join up together as the good guys regardless of where we may be living and regardless of what we aim to shoot, horns or no horns :)

• Like 5