what time do you walk in?

the blur

i like to take a nap while i wait for the sun to come up a little.I like to be awake for the last 45 or so mins defore sun rise,to see if any thing comes by just for $hits and giggles.Thats when you see those big bucks and then you can have a "i missed a chance on a big one" story cause it was way to dark to be shooting any thing.

• Like 1

Since my cabin is a half mile IN the woods literally,I wait till just before legal time and actually sit at the outside table with a coffee sometimes...I wait for legal time and take my walk down to the stand by the river nice and slow.I like to hunt every inch I can to my stand,because it's all good.Every situation I am sure ,is different.

At the Pa. cabin with 50K ac of bordering game land,we used to walk for 1hr prior to being on stand,to be there atleast 30min before sunrise.It sucked. But we either saw or shot big bucks,and saw no orange whatsoever....the normal hunter won't travel that far.Topo maps,years of hunting there and atleast 2 working compass' in your pocket and the knowledge to use them makes for excellent hunting,in most cases.

• Like 1

On the ground in my spot sitting against a big tree 1 hour before legal sunrise. Usually can see fine 30-40minutes before sunrise. Many times I have seen deer before sunrise but couldnt make out buck or doe till sunrise and then shot or didnt shoot. If I came in any later, I would have spooked them.

depends on situation/weather. i dont have stands up, i like to still hunt a lot. although on opening day in ground blind or big tree way before day light and sit all day. after that, may wait till day light to still hunt. if it is raining hard will certainly wait. light misty rain may go in a little bit earlier. snow or snowing maybe do something else. on high activity days may again go in before dark and sit all day. where i want to hunt on any given day has a lot to do with the when and how.

guess you could say its a game day decision. work has more to say about it than anything. somrtimes cant go till after day light, sometimes have to quit before dark,

:wild: . but that will change some day soon i hope :biggrin: . thanks and good luck to all.

I sit outside my car listening to the radio and drink a cup of coffee. When I can see the outline of the trees on the hill against the sky, I finish dressing and head up. This morning I was at my stand at 6:15 which is getting a little later as the season progresses. I am a sitter so this is how I do it. I know guys that wait til shooting time, and stillhunt to their spot,sit an hour or two, and stillhunt til evening sit. Probably just depends on what has worked in the past for a hunter.

I get there when I get there..... I tend to slip out late more than arrive early.

Not a big fan of my scent unnecessarily blowing around an area before I can even see them pass through.

...at least that's the excuse I use to convince myself it's ok to hit the snooze button a couple times.

The best time to get to your stand is when you get there..... Actually in at dark and out after dark is the theory. I tend to get in my stand for the evening hunt aroudn noon. Grandpa always taught me that you can't kill a deer if you aren't out there trying. You'd be surprised how much you will see in the middle of the day. or not.....

Opening day I am out there well before daylight watching the trail of flashlights and occasional ATV tail-lights going up the hill across the road. I'm sitting there with my 5 tons of equipment and supplies and of course my thermos and bag of fried egg sandwiches, ready to make a day of it.

After opening day, I am one of those guys that everyone loves. I get started when I'm darn good and ready and sneak around the hill. What the heck .... somebody has to do it....lol. Otherwise you have all the hunters sitting and snoozing with the deer flopped down and snoozing along side of them and no deer moving at all. So, it's my civic duty to get out there and find out where the deer are hiding and boot them in the backside like everybody used to do for me years ago. Anyway, after opening day, my hunting gets to be pretty laid-back, and usually it pays off pretty well for me. Not so good this year yet.