POLL: Whats your Favorite turkey call

josephmrtn

Favorite Turkey Call?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite turkey call?

2. 2. What call have you had the MOST success with?

I've easily had the most success with my diaphragm calls but love to suck in the hung up ones with the slate call. My problem with the slate is sometimes it sounds like DOGDUNG. I've tried a bunch of different ones and different strikers and still have up & down results.

The box is mostly just a locater call for me. I couldn't finish off a 35lb domestic bird with a box call. BUT......I always have at least one and sometimes two box calls ready to roll in my vest. My crow call is my favorite shock gobbler call. I use a hooter until I hear the first real crow of the morning although I will admit to being the first crow on the block to be calling some mornings!!!

Do you have a turkey hunting vest yet? Get a good one cause you might have it for 30+ years like me. Heck, you don't see camo like this anymore!!

IMG_0888.jpg

• Like 2

I had the new cam and was out working...when a tom let loose...I ran for a blind an called in a hen and Jake...too close to get cam up..He actually looked over blind at me...I had no idea cam was on and caught my call...hot dry and no water so not as good as usual...need to click on wording at top of pic

http://youtu.be/wXTiiuCcHsY

http://youtu.be/mukKNrHzQJw

http://youtu.be/IIBOFY4aVSg

Edited by growalot

Lawdwaz...That looks like a Dick Kirby Grand Slam, which was a fine vest and one of the first ones on the market..I WORE OUT one of those and replace it a few years back with One From Turkeylick Creek, which I don't like nearly as well as the Grand Slam

I started out using a box, a Lynch World Champion double sided box..

I was slow learner with the diaphragm call, but eventually got pretty good with one and over a period of 25 years or so, I used it a lot. I probably killed as many birds with the mouthcall as I did with my box. My favorite calls were the Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen and the Knight and Hale Setback.

I never got very good with a slate..I acrry one in my vest, but I only use it to cluck and purr.

Over the last few years, I have regressed back to the box and don't use the mouth call as much..

I have 14 box calls, but my current favorite is a custom box made by Bob Harwell from South Carolina.. It is a double sided Neil Cost type box..The lid and bottom are black walnut and the sides are butternut. It is the most authentic sounding box I have ever used. For many years my favorite box was a Lynch 101 Foolproof single sided box that I bought for $17 back in the 1970s. I have never heard a Lynch Foolproof that did not sound good enough to fool a turkey.

Have a 30 year old Quaker Boy box call I still use every spring. Great for long distance calling, some might call it locating. Probably a lot of fancier, hand-crafted box calls that I'll bet aren't that much more effective for the money. Have had 100+ diaphram calls over the years. Lot of different brands and styles now a days! I prefer a dbl diaphram, single cut call of no specific make. Technique to make almost any diaphram work good is to get it cut/shaped & bent to perfectly fit the roof of your mouth. Have used both box & mouth calls occassionaly to mimic 2 hens. Like any aspect of hunting turkeys, some times it works & other times it doesn't. Shouldn't be a secret, but - once I get them located (gobbling) with the box call, it then gets set aside and I finish with the diaphram. Basically, want both hands on the shotgun and no further movement once I hear or see they are closing in. Tried a couple different slate calls, but could never get good at them! Which have I had the most sucess with - depends on if you mean locating a goobler or closing the deal. IMHO - Need both to get the job done!

Almost 100% diaphram calls. I like the ones made by Quaker boy. They just seem to sound a little better. Like Lawdwaz, I have also had up and down results with slates. I have four or five different ones but they are all inconsistent as far as getting a good sound all of the time. Sometimes they sound great and at other times the same call sounds like anything but a turkey.

• Like 1

Have you guys have any luck with locater call such as owl, crow or woodpecker?

I really heavily on locater calls. I'll start with an owl hooter and fairly quickly turn to the crow call after (as noted above) I hear the first real crow squawking. I sometimes stick with the crow call all morning if I'm running & gunning and covering vast areas.

Never used the woodpecker or coyote howler calls and don't have any interest in them, personally.

Like Lawdwaz, I have also had up and down results with slates. I have four or five different ones but they are all inconsistent as far as getting a good sound all of the time. Sometimes they sound great and at other times the same call sounds like anything but a turkey.

Probably has to do with moisture/humidity, it's not usually the slate but the striker. I switched over to waterproof strikers a few years ago, no problems getting the sounds I want now.

• Like 1

I use an elk bugle to locate stubborn bird, (sick of hearing owls/ crow calls in middle of the day plus it scares the crap out of other hunters :) i'll put my slate against anyone's box, or diaphram, 3 strilers can make hundreds of different sounds and tones and pitches and loudness or softness . seems everyone uses diaphrams, i use slates, wingbones,and a box or two (pushbox is in there).

I'm slowly loosing interest in spring gobbler hunting. The increase in hunters, decrease in available land to hunt, distance to hunt, price of fuel and early rise of dawn has knocked some of the luster off of it. The TV shows with guys hunting out of blinds with freaking dekes that wobble,twist and spin with REAL feathers on them shooting birds that come running in by the handful. The NWTF boys and the BS that they are always pushing in the name of "conservation" has also dulled the passion I had years ago.

Heck I still get a kick out of it but and do enjoy the kill but it ain't like it was 20-25 years ago, IMO.

Jeez, I don't know where THAT rant came from............Sorry Joe!!

• Like 2

I prefer to let the bird gobble on his own, but I always carry a crow call, for those times when I want find out where a gobbler is, but don't necessarily want him coming in to my present location.

I have found that gobblers tend to respond to owling best in areas where barred owls are plentiful..

Around my home area, barred owls are present, but not real plentiful. Birds sometimes gobble at owling here, but a loud crow call works better.

Up where I hunt in Ontario, barred owls are scarce and a crow call works MUCH better than an owl call..

When I hunted in the mountains of western Virginia, owls were very plentiful and gobblers responded well to owling, even in the middle of the day. Crows were scarce, and they did not gobble much at a crow call.

Just an idea, use a air horn to locate gobblers? i've heard them gobble to trains and 18-wheeler horns so i think it would work. And it would probably really confuse the other guys in the woods lol.

It sure will work..I've done it..

I've heard 'em gobble at most any loud noise, including gunshots.

However, running around the woods blasting on an airhorn just seems LESS than asthetically pleasing. <<grin>>...