Tree stands on state land

vtpainter

Unfortunately, I think you will find a time (likely when you are arriving for a hunt) when the stand is gone or the ladders are taken. Especially if you know others are hunting in the vicinity. People should know better, but not everyone can be trusted. It will be a crapshoot. Better off preparing the tree and using a climber in my opinion.

i've left a few in for the season with no problems in the past. They both were cheap ladder stands in very inaccessible locations and ive never had any problems. I know alot of guys who've had issues with theft though. i attribute my good luck to having heavy and cheap stands a long ways into the woods, making it very hard to steal. i bought a good climber last yr though and thats all i need anymore.

I used to own a house and some land that bordered state land. I hung a stand once 2 days before gun season opened. Went to the spot opening morning and all that was there was my chain and lock on the ground. Ive used a climber ever since. But I know some guys that have had no problems leaving them. Guess it all depends on the guy that is walking through the woods and sees it. I was under the impression you couldn't leave stands up on state land. Icouldbe wrong though. I know you can't use tree pegs though or trim any branches. Was with a buddy once when we got stopped on our way out of woods one sat morning. He got a ticket for using the tree pegs on state land.

I used to lose one or two stands every few years. I now leave my climbing stand in all season. Pull them after the season closes. I don't leave them on the tree. I chain/lock them near the tree I want to hunt along side an easy to find landmark (blow down / boulder). I then bury them in brush and leaves. I haven’t lost one since.

• Like 2

This past hunting season, while walking around i found a treestand. It was located on state land and tbe stand was hang-on 15ft high with a chain lock and no climbing sticks. Tbere was no way for anyone to grab it. Personally i wouldn't just because of safety issue with people taking it, but i dont hunt with treestands so im alright.

I was also told i can set up a tree stand as early as September. The requirement of putting your info on the stand should discourage squatters.

From DECs site: http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html

w. No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:

1. a geocache that is labeled with the owner's name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;

2. a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;

3. a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;

4. a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or

5. a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.

x. On State lands, no person shall erect, construct, occupy or maintain any structure that is affixed to a tree by nails, screws or other means that injure or damage the tree except as otherwise authorized by the department.

y. No person shall erect, construct, maintain, occupy or use any tree stand that is used, operated, accessed or reached by methods or means which injure or damage a tree on State lands, and no person shall gain access to any structure in a tree on State lands by means that injure or damage the tree.

Whats your thoughts on leaving tree stands in woods during the season? I checked laws with DEc, And all, but Do you think i will have a problem? I can cable it . I just need thoughts on past expierences.Hunting in 6n and 6k. Thanks

You will most likely be donating your stand to some filthy lowlife thief. I learned that lesson with a game camera that was located in an almost impenetrable thorny, thick area of state land that I swore no one would ever go into. WRONG! People cover every square inch of state land and help themselves to whatever they find there. You can use cables, chains, cast iron lock boxes, but if you can remove them, they can remove them ..... and will.

I have even had cable lock cut off one of mine in 6K on my own land and it was gone. I found it in the late spring about 50 feet away in the middle of a marshy pond. I know who did it and confronted him. A 16 year old kid thought he would like to put his stand there so he did. How messed up is that one? Wasnt hard to figure it out I just kept and eye on when he climbed up the same tree in his stand. The old saying you cant fix stupid, well it fits this kid very well. But I have had so many stolen around here Its either a permanent one now or my climber. As soon as I catch one guy another one is in line to take his spot it seems.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. I am thinking, I may carry climber in and out when on state land now.It is so flat in areas I hunt that just getting off the ground 15 feet or so , makes a huge difference in the area i watch.Especially during gun hunting with snow when leaves are off.

• 4 weeks later...

Problem with stands in state land isn't only steeling.But if you leave one there some newbie hunter will think its in this spot for a reason and try to take advantage of your hard scouting.Not going to lie that when i was a newbie and i saw climber marks on a tree i paid closer attention to the locations geographical outlay.If i found a gut pile i really checked out the lands out lay too.

With a climber you can be more free to hunt different winds for that day.You can be more free to move if you have a rude guy set up nearby.There is more freedom and choices when using your climber.I even use mine on private land.I have like 3 lockons and one ladder stand.I hunt those on on days the wind is right.Sometimes it is like i never have the right wind for the one i want to hunt that day.

One of the problems with lugging equipment (stands) is that in the one kind of hunting area that you want to get as far in as possible, is state land. It would be nice if you could feel comfortable leaving all that junk in there once you have dragged it all in. Sometimes going in with a full pack and stands etc. gets to be a little much for allowing you in as deep as is adviseable on crowded state land. Add to that the fact that a lot of state land consists of killer hills, carrying piles of equipment sometimes can relegate you to hunting where everybody else hunts ..... not far from the road or parking lot. For me, state land generally means traveling light. Of course I no longer use treestands, so that is no longer a concern for me.

I remember once seeing another bowhunter who had just struggeled his way up the hill. He was lugging a pack, a pretty heavy-looking treestand and a few of those tree-step gizmos, and of course his bow. This guy was breathing like a steam engine, and had literally soaked through his camo. I'm not sure he had an ounce of fluids left in his body. He not only smelled like a horse from the sweat, but undoubtedly he was about to spend a long afternoon freezing from being soaked in the cold weather. That was really a whole lot more stubborness than good sense. But he did get a long ways away from the road.......ha-ha-ha.

• Like 1