So who else is hitting the woods early on May 1st?

Deerthug

I can't believe there are only 6 days left until spring turkey season. I started counting down from November 18, 2012, firearm opening weekend  when I tagged out. I have been waiting for this coming spring since last year when I missed all of May due to an illness.

I plan on heading up on Tuesday April 30th to do some scouting. Needless to say Tuesday will be a sleepless night . . . :yahoo::dancer:

I have a wedding Friday May 3rd and another one Saturday the 4th.  Ill be heading up Sunday and hunting till the following Sunday.  I cant wait!!!!!!!

John

I hear you! I have a 25th wedding anniversary/birthday party of close friend to go to Saturday night -  and Sunday is Greek Easter so I need to connect on May 1st or 2nd because the next time I'll be able to go up will be Memorial Day weekend due to other family obligations.

I can't believe there are only 6 days left until spring turkey season. I started counting down from November 18, 2012, firearm opening weekend  when I tagged out. I have been waiting for this coming spring since last year when I missed all of May due to an illness.

I plan on heading up on Tuesday April 30th to do some scouting. Needless to say Tuesday will be a sleepless night . . . :yahoo::dancer:

I missed last season too, because of an injury, so I'll be there for sure!! I did a little scouting the other day and saw lots of turkey tracks, scratchings loose feathers.......can't wait.

I have 1,2,3 off from work and plan to be out all three days.  I am like a kid on the 20th of Decemeber.  My son wants to go before school on the 3rd, but we will have to see.  It is my only time to hunt for myself.  Although I love hunting with him it is hard to not let him take the lead.

I went out yesterday and cut up a tree that fell across a path to one of the blinds...the entire area was TORE up...not one peep from any birds but I know they are out there...so I have two spots that they seem to be hanging out in...I think I heard cackling and clucking while out working the other day but not on us...it sounded like a good sized group...went to the property border and if they are out there...they haven't crossed over to feed on our place near where I heard them? ...I have a couple of more days to check things out...I have another huge bass wood to clear off another trail today so I best get going...nothing worse than walking in the dark down a trail to run into a tree..especially the top of a large tree... :fie:

I cleared out some shooting lanes and trails the other day. Good thing i did because getting a face full of thorns in the dark wouldve been fun haha! Might go back tonite after work to check for more sign but im pretty sure my setup should be a good one. Now if i can just decide if im using decoys or not.....

it sounds like the list would be shorter if you asked who is not going out for turkey this spring! I'll be in Chautaugua Co.on the 1st.after that I will play the weather and work schedule and go when I can. but I usually get in the woods close to 10-15 days. Some mornings I just go close to home , if I don't hear birds I can still get to work without wasting a day off.

• Like 1

I'm lucky to make it out more than 4-5 times a season, so I try to enjoy it as much as possible. Starting your work day at 7:30 a.m. about 50 minutes from your home sucks at this time of year.

Leaves me with weekends and opening morning that I burned some vacation time on.

I don't have class till 11 on the 1st.. SCORE!! Ill be sat down and ready to rock a little before it will be light enough for them to see the fields. I could give a hoot about shooting one, I'm just ready to be hunting again. God it feels good to be a hunter! Whitetails are my favorite i.e. my username, but long beards can be very witty and really test your skills. I learn a ton every turkey season regardless of whether or not I fill my tags