Yote pups..

wooly

Out looking for antlers today when I got sidetracked by 8 coyote pups in a big hollow tree log. Four of them ran inside with mom, and the other four were playing in the treetops down below. I sat outside the den for 5hrs. and got a few keeper shots of them as they'd peak their heads out or run out for a quick potty!

Mama yote was inside the den letting out some low frequency "growls" every time the four outside started to get close to the den. She was warning them to stay away, and every time she did that, they ran back to hide in the fallen tree tops again. On my way out, I stopped to see the straglers outside and they just layed there at my feet. It took everything I had not to toss the 4 of them in my pac! Sure wish I had the new camera today but I'm glad I had something! Another sweet encounter!

_CSC0594_filtered_zps5a3cf8f7.jpg

_CSC0607_filtered_zpsf596317c.jpg

_CSC0620_filtered_zps1e4dfdf7.jpg

_CSC0630_filtered_zps9a4b5323.jpg

_CSC0669_filtered_zps5427002a.jpg

_CSC0674_filtered_zpsaddb0fdb.jpg

_CSC0702_filtered_zps0c446108.jpg

_CSC0703_filtered_zpsa76e76c2.jpg

_CSC0708_filtered_zps70c8685e.jpg

_DSC0693_zps1d0617a4.jpg

Great pics and experience!! I never thought about a female having that many pups before! No wonder their population has exploded!! Cute or not...... yeah, we better not go there....

I wonder what the survival rate will be on those 8 pups.  25% will make it for a year?

Thanks for the great comments everyone, glad you all enjoyed the pics!

What's the deal with her not allowing the four outside back into the den?

Whitetail Addict- I was set up only about 5-6ft away from the den. I think momma yote was telling the little ones not to get any closer untill the coast was clear of danger.

Ok that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was like the saying that if you handle a baby wild animal that the mother won't accept it back because it has human odor on it. I know you obviously didn't touch them but I wasn't sure if your presence made her "turn her back" so to speak on the 4 that didn't return to the den.