Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Checked mine today. The ones I did just last weekend already popping. The one I did two weeks ago is spotty. But in spots it looks great. Might have to reseed some areas a little as it was very dry for 5 days after I planted that one. 0a1ed91ef35da65fcf18976e80702e3a.jpg4108bade8c65e909cdbca07df74ac585.jpg30d114a08a3d42250caa5eec4cc5d82c.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Looks like some late winter buck salad to me.  nice 

• Like 1

rob those brassicas?  Good germination great job , not for nothing  and just my two cents and errors ive made in past if they are brassicas might be little close i learned this the hard way in a perfect world one plant every 3 to 5 in.... Hardest thing for me is dont over seed brassicas ,,, now grains or clovers they dont mind to much seed

• Like 3

Well I burned a vacation day Friday after talking to the farmer i lease from Thursday night. HE has 60 acres of green beans on our lease that wont be picked, and he wont be doing anything with the fields until May to plant Corn.. He gave my the okay to go plant any annual Id like. So I loaded up the truck and tractor at 5am Friday morning and took off.. I got my messy plot that didn't do a thing(figured it wouldnt), tilled it up first since there was moisture in the soil, seeded a brassica blend with added annual clovers then packed it all back in with tires.. Got to plot #2 and about half way through when I lost the ability to go in forward or reverse all of a sudden. So while I waited for help to arrive,  I just over seeded these fall blend seeds into 4 locations along woood lines the deer come out in  daily, right into these green beans across the property. The green beans are getting hammered and past prime for picking(why they got left). So the open dirt and hopeful incoming rains should set these seeds off. These plants wont be getting any bigger and hopefulyl only smaller as they get eaten. I "seeded" about 6 acres total of fall blends in hopes that if half of it takes off as dry as it is. Id be happy. Those beans are holding some soil moisture as you near the wood line i noticed. So we'll see. Here is a pic of the first plot I did, that i placed in front of my wifes stand in hopes she can get her first buck this year. Doe Bedding cover out front and arouns the south and west side.  The Trail cam pic is where my tractor broke down half way through tilling the beans under on the 2nd plot of the day.. 

Was nice having the tractor while it lasted lol. Going to try a fluid filter flush/change and hope it helps or fixes. Tractor wants to move forward and reverse, but literally has no power. Hydrostatic. Wont even climb a 2x4. Everything else works fine on it still.    Hopefully doesn't need a pump or internal valve rebuild. 

Rest of the plots all have germination but are dry as heck, needs rain bad and quick before theyre lost. 

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9052 (2).PNG

• Like 5

On 8/12/2022 at 7:32 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Oh yeah I def over seeded. No doubt. Lol

Its a mix of a few things. Some different whitetail mixes with a little bit of everything, radish in one spot, etc.

can you fertilize here? IF so a shot of Urea in 4 weeks would help the slightly heavy seeded plot out. 

• Like 1

Just now, LET EM GROW said:

can you fertilize here? IF so a shot of Urea in 4 weeks would help the slightly heavy seeded plot out. 

yes and i happen to have some bags in the shed ready to go.  Good idea, thanks.  We are going out there labor day weekend to check all the stands for the season, replace straps and be sure cams are set.  So will do that while we are out there.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yes and i happen to have some bags in the shed ready to go.  Good idea, thanks.  We are going out there labor day weekend to check all the stands for the season, replace straps and be sure cams are set.  So will do that while we are out there.  

75# or so per acre, but you want to spread it on dry plants with a rain coming that day or so. OR the air will lessen its effectiveness

• Thanks 1

man this was supposed to be rain for 3 days in 8f and now it's down to under 50% chance on thursday... I spent friday afternoon putting in a new stand and trimming another with the kids. I think I'm still going to go early this week and disc and watch the forecast, that way I can fert and light disc and seed if it looks like it's going to rain for sure

38049D2C-2BF9-43B0-8E62-03CA9F314ABA.thumb.jpg.d1900935cac2e72f04998e950d2ea077.jpg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

On 8/12/2022 at 2:12 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Checked mine today. The ones I did just last weekend already popping. The one I did two weeks ago is spotty. But in spots it looks great. Might have to reseed some areas a little as it was very dry for 5 days after I planted that one. 0a1ed91ef35da65fcf18976e80702e3a.jpg4108bade8c65e909cdbca07df74ac585.jpg30d114a08a3d42250caa5eec4cc5d82c.jpg

that's very thick already. did you do a double bag? In my experience clover starts our sparse but then as the root systems build they thicken up.

Lomax, if those are brassica plots, that's not spotty at all. I think everyone with a food plot in NY needs rain right now. 

Same as most of us I'm watching daily for rain and as the rain gets close the forecast changes every stinking day. Well Wednesday looks like rain at my cabin so I'll shoot up tomorrow and hope the forecast holds true. 

• Like 2

We surprisingly had great germination from last week's seeding. Hoping we get just enough rain to get them through. We'll be planning to fertilize more in a few weeks. We laid down 100 pounds at seeding and probably will come over top with another 300 lbs of triple 10 across 1.5.1.75 acres. Stuff is $23 a bag right now.

I think we're running down to Ohio this weekend assuming I am 100% better as well as the family. We have a few areas I want to get a plot in. Totaling under an acre but across three different spots. We've only sprayed once so I am sure it's going to be alot of work.

Planted my plots yesterday. .82 acres split into strips, plus some grass/clover that I left and a narrow strip of field corn that I planted for screen/cover.  

Pretty dry, but we've been getting a good amount of dew lately.  My forecast was/is the same as Belo's.  3 days of forecasted rain became one small shower on Wednesday night.  Maybe.

I've had a bachelor group of bucks hanging around this summer.  Be nice to get one of them early season.  Either way, I love having the plot at the house so I can watch deer.  

Hope everyone's plots make it through this dry stretch and do well.  It's alot of work, but so worth it.

• Like 2

Got my seed in last night, now it's up to mother nature.  Absolutely no rain in the forecast for an entire week.  Maybe the dew will be heavy enough help.  Even the normally ultra wet plot was a giant dust bowl.  Need to thin a few trees near the kill plot and get a bit more light in there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

that's very thick already. did you do a double bag? In my experience clover starts our sparse but then as the root systems build they thicken up.

these are mostly different whitetail mixes.  I def overseeded.  Did so a bit on purpose cause two of the plots i didnt til and cant spray so wanted to be sure seed got to the ground. One that i did til came up a little spotty as it was so dry for 4-5 days before we had good rain.  I will be back out on labor day weekend and anything that has not taken i still have a bag of throw and grow to use in case.  Just need some rain this week. 

The plot we did yesterday We put "secret spot" mix in where it is real shaded.  Then in the middle did winter peas and a 1/2 bag of a mix, then on the far end did some radish.  Trying to determine what grows the best there.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Well I burned a vacation day Friday after talking to the farmer i lease from Thursday night. HE has 60 acres of green beans on our lease that wont be picked, and he wont be doing anything with the fields until May to plant Corn.. He gave my the okay to go plant any annual Id like. So I loaded up the truck and tractor at 5am Friday morning and took off.. I got my messy plot that didn't do a thing(figured it wouldnt), tilled it up first since there was moisture in the soil, seeded a brassica blend with added annual clovers then packed it all back in with tires.. Got to plot #2 and about half way through when I lost the ability to go in forward or reverse all of a sudden. So while I waited for help to arrive,  I just over seeded these fall blend seeds into 4 locations along woood lines the deer come out in  daily, right into these green beans across the property. The green beans are getting hammered and past prime for picking(why they got left). So the open dirt and hopeful incoming rains should set these seeds off. These plants wont be getting any bigger and hopefulyl only smaller as they get eaten. I "seeded" about 6 acres total of fall blends in hopes that if half of it takes off as dry as it is. Id be happy. Those beans are holding some soil moisture as you near the wood line i noticed. So we'll see. Here is a pic of the first plot I did, that i placed in front of my wifes stand in hopes she can get her first buck this year. Doe Bedding cover out front and arouns the south and west side.  The Trail cam pic is where my tractor broke down half way through tilling the beans under on the 2nd plot of the day.. 

Was nice having the tractor while it lasted lol. Going to try a fluid filter flush/change and hope it helps or fixes. Tractor wants to move forward and reverse, but literally has no power. Hydrostatic. Wont even climb a 2x4. Everything else works fine on it still.    Hopefully doesn't need a pump or internal valve rebuild. 

Rest of the plots all have germination but are dry as heck, needs rain bad and quick before theyre lost. 

The same thing happened to one of my old hydrostatic transmission lawnmowers (JD LT-150).  The problem was caused by the drive belt stretching, or the motor shaft moving out of position.  It wouldn’t even make it up a slight incline after that.

I pulled the mower deck and used it for fetching sweetcorn last year, but it was a bit of a struggle.  I don’t imagine your tractor has a drive belt, but it sounds like the hydraulic drive is not properly engaging. 
Hydrostatic tractors (aka “lawnmowers”) are best left on the lawn.  

Too bad the drought, weeds and coons have got all my sweetcorn so far this year, as my new Durango field car would otherwise work ok for fetching it.  It too has a hydrostatic transmission, so I don’t dare use it for any ground engaging work.  It did a decent job of hauling my cultipacker way out back though.  

DA850714-C701-4B9C-BFE1-F1D804DA687B.thumb.jpeg.509f6c38fc9b833bf5c98a655e3230ad.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Lomax, if those are brassica plots, that's not spotty at all. I think everyone with a food plot in NY needs rain right now. 

Same as most of us I'm watching daily for rain and as the rain gets close the forecast changes every stinking day. Well Wednesday looks like rain at my cabin so I'll shoot up tomorrow and hope the forecast holds true. 

They are radishes brassicas and rye clover brassica mix.

I meant the rain was spotty we really could use some I thought we would get some today but no luck so far.   If We don’t get some rain in the next few days it’s not looking good.  
Hope you get some rain on Wednesday at the cabin too

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

these are mostly different whitetail mixes.  I def overseeded.  Did so a bit on purpose cause two of the plots i didnt til and cant spray so wanted to be sure seed got to the ground. One that i did til came up a little spotty as it was so dry for 4-5 days before we had good rain.  I will be back out on labor day weekend and anything that has not taken i still have a bag of throw and grow to use in case.  Just need some rain this week. 

The plot we did yesterday We put "secret spot" mix in where it is real shaded.  Then in the middle did winter peas and a 1/2 bag of a mix, then on the far end did some radish.  Trying to determine what grows the best there.   

that's not a bad idea to do some throw n grow if you get poor results. I might do the same if it comes to it. 

They are radishes brassicas and rye clover brassica mix.
 I meant the rain was spotty we really could use some I thought we would get some today but no luck so far.   If We don’t get some rain in the next few days it’s not looking good.  
Hope you get some rain on Wednesday at the cabin too
It's rained like hell south of both of us. Even a couple t storm warnings. But not a drop here either. ......

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's rained like hell south of both of us. Even a couple t storm warnings. But not a drop here either. ......

Yeah we didn’t get anything here I think it was all in the southern tier maybe Pygmy got some rain in south Dogpatch? 

• Like 1