Check In 2010

5.9cummins

Any one drop one.

Had a decent six work in and bed within 25yards of my tree in the golden rod. At first i thought he pulled a Houdini on me but saw tines sticking out of the goldenrod later on. Also had a small eight or big six work in downwind of me and bust me, he didn't blow but didn't hang around. When the beded buck got up and i got a chance to get the binos on him he had a regular three point left beam but the right beam had a kicker coming off the back of the beam between the brow tine and G2 and then had another one that dropped between the G2 and the end of the beam. The left side also appeared to be a somewhat pal-mated. I would love to see that deer in two or three years.

Going to take my four year old out this afternoon after she gets up from her nap.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep windy , saw 3 first morning, 1 of which was a very nice buck making a rub 50 yards out. Today (Sunday) windy as well. Had a GREAT 8pt wide,thick , tall, 10 inch g2's bed 60 -70 yards from my stand at 9:00.

Looking like a good season !

Saw nothing in the am, then 2 nice does too far in the evening. they walked down the road and stopped at my truck! one was bluffing its own reflction. I grunted at them, and they meandered closer, but still went in the same direction to my right. About 100 yards away. They seemed very cautious, and responded to my grunting, but never came right in. Dutchess County btw.

What is with all this wind???? The only deer that I have seen has been in my trail cam pictures ..... all in the pitch dark when the wind has been calmed. As soon as the sun comes up, so does the wind ..... deer head for cover for the day. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Doc

Got out just in time foran evening hunt, with my 5 year old. his first time ever! We found a deer trail and some doe crap. When I pointed to it, he got excited. He was pretty good about being quiet and stopping when I stop. We walked about 150 yds on a ridge, Then circled back down below along a creek. We did some rattling and grunting from the top of the ridge. tough to tell the squirrels from deer in the leaves. As we got back, we grunted frequently because I knew we were noisy. We sat down at a small field edge and obsereved, then a big snort scared the crap out of both of us! So I grunted back. We heard 1 more snort, and it sounded like the deer were coming closer. But I couldn't see up the hill. 10 minutes later I hear what I think was a challenge weeze with a stomp, this time alot closer. I had some buck urine in a scent bomb hanging 20 yds from us??? By this time it was hard to see, so we turned on the flashlight and saw nothing, no eyes, nothing. We walked back up to the house, a good hunt non the less...

Scouted two different properties and Saturday. Both had fresh scrapes open.

Tale of two treestands Sunday:   

Saw five bucks this morning, more of less together. Looked like a  big-bodied 3.5 year old, an 8 maybe a 10 - was chasing the heck out of a  2.5 year old and there was a little buck following off to the side, and  back of the 3.5 year old. Drew on a 1.5 year old 5 pt. and said, "Your  dead." He spooked and ran out another small buck, nearby I hadn't seen.    I stopped the 3.5 year old with a grunt, but he took off after the 2.5  year old...had his own agenda.   

This evening, 11 does. No bucks.   

Feed and leaf fall changing quickly. About two weeks ahead of last year. 

Yesterday I ended up staying home in the afternoon to get work done around the house. I am off of work today, so Ill be headed out shortly. Im gonna try a piece of state land that I havent hunted in quite a few years. It butts up to a standing corn field, so I am hoping to bust them coming in or out of the corn.

Wind was terrible both days for me this weekend, not to mention it's real bright out last night.  Didn't see a deer, had a flock of turkey stay juuuuuuust out of range.

There is a veritable CARPET of apples on the ground right now after that high wind all weekend.  Should have just cut firewood all weekend instead.  Hopefully less windy next weekend.  Looked real nice out this morning though!

Opening morning I shot a 200 lb bear.  The evening post I saw a beautiful 6 pointer about 60 yards away, with a rifle I would of had him, but he wouldn't come in.  A bunch of does.  Sunday morning I had a few does under me before the sun came up, then later in the day I used the can a few times and 2 coyote came running out.  They were just out of reach to take a shot. Hopefully getting back out next tuesday, damn work!

Went out Saturday morning and (due to the wind) decided not to go into my stands.  I went to the far side of the property and sat on a log with some good brush surrounding.  Didn't see a deer (again, probably due to the wind), but I had 18 turkeys pass within 15 yards of me.  What a sight!  I couldn't believe not a single one spotted me.  That made the whole day worth while.

On Saturday had a nice six pointer under my stand but winded me a flew the coupe.  On Sunday I harvested a TOM 25 yards away with the bow.  Nice 4 inch beard ans 3/4 spur.  Two hours later shot a 85-90 pound down dropped her in her tracks. Love those rage 2 blade broad heads. So far a good start to the season.  Slugger nice bear. Make sure he wears his earring lol.

Nothing exciting to report. Having a bit of a problem making contact ..... Ha-ha. Tonite I saw a couple of does and a fawn charging up the hill, pushed by something. Of course they were about 40 yards away, and got downwind and went through their foot stomping, head bobbing and eventually the big blow to let the world know not to come into my section of woods.

Meanwhile, the trail cameras are showing all kinds of deer including a pretty nice 8 point. All that occurs at 9:00 pm, 2:00 am, 3:00 am, and all other kinds of after dark times.

Doc

My weekend hunt was terrible. The wind made it tough. I sat in a new stand Sat afternoon hoping it would be a good evening stand, I saw nothing. My buddy's father sat in a ladderstand(used mainly for gun) about 75 yards from my bow stand, he shot and missed twice. One was a doe the other a 6 point. I guess I should have stuck with my regular stand.

My buddy passed on a 3 point and later shot a smaller 7 point. He hit him a little back so decided to wait til morning to look for him. We probably could have found him that night but I'm glad we waited, the area was really thick.

My luck can only get better, it wasn't the opening weekend I had hoped for.

Good Luck!

I had 5 doe and 2 fawn in shooting range...pretty silver big doe broad side ....but they came in on my wrong side and too fast for me to stand....the silver was all spooky and then the only breeze of the night blew in ...her head went up and she turned and stared me down....the fawnstarted stiff legging and they all turned and walked back into woods :) .....Showering and trying different spot  this am.......

I decided to go down to a stand in in front of our house last night that overlooks a small field that I keep mowed that is surrounded by pine trees and thicket. During the afternoon hunt, I invented a new game. I call it "Name That Noise". I found out that our neighbors are some pretty noisy people. First off, the ones across the road had a pair of machines going that I figured were the mother of all leaf-blowers. What a racket! they had those things whining over there all afternoon, and nearly right up to quitting time. Meanwhile, My next-door neighbor must have been working outside, because he had a radio blaring away while he was thumping and banging around doing things that I couldn't even imagine. Now I know why I usually head up the hill to do my hunting ..... lol.

By the way, even with all of this crazy circus of noise going on, a doe and fawn did step out to eat, but they were on the other side and never came within shooting distance.

Doc

Yep it's crazy noisy here as well...every sound from the valley floats up here...but I do some times use the sound of Jake brakes to cover my walk in ;) ....surprised that these roads still get such truck traffic....

Then you have the dogs....OMG...I'm in the woods working ALL summer and very few dogs barking and only on occasion...Now...Dogs barking...CONSTANTLY...and everywhere!....hammering....low flying planes...5x's more traffic than usual  and this is in the middle of the day during the week....I believe no body around us works ??? ...This is the worst year for the deer being spooked than I have ever seen...and we are only 5 days in....Well got that beouch session done ...I can go clean up a few side trails....Had 5 deer under my stand this am before light enough to shoot and then later 2 fawns trotted under the stand....so far I've checked out 5 stands...only 2 didn't come up with movement....I use the first week to "scout" ....checking which stands are seeing movement and to clean off all trails so I'm stealth going in pre-rut and rut.....Then everyone else is still out there crunching up the woods spooking the deer I'm sneaking in undetected...I usually works but we'll see this year...I haven't seen a buck in the light for going on 2 wks....3 in the dark coming out of the woods but thats it...