So how far are you guys on your "Honey Do List"?

Deerthug

The past few weeks I've been pushing to get things done around the house before hunting season begins this October. Last weekend was yard work. This past weekend was painting. So far I've painted two out of three exterior doors to my house which have been on my list for a couple of years now. Yesterday I taped and spackled my daughter's room and this afternoon we painted the ceiling "Oy my aching neck! and yes - - - she got her hands and face speckled with white ceiling paint. And she wants the walls painted candy apple red - which she does not realize will make her room look so small.  Oh well . . . After my daughter's room my son and I will be painting our two gates and arbor . . . I will be Mr. Miyagi  :ph34r: and he will be Danielsan . . . "Up . . . down. . .up . . . down". Then the wife wants our master bathroom painted which we will tackle after our Niagara trip. I'm hoping to get all miscellaneous stuff completed by mid September including reseeding the lawn and doing some pruning.  In between all this I've been trying to shoot my bow every other day for about 1/2 hour or so. 

So how are you all doing with your lists?

Edited by Deerthug

Actually my list is more like a "find some things to do to keep our son busy this summer and keep him off the X-box" list. Lol!

LOL !  I've been doing that all summer. Saturday I had my son move a pile of wood that really didn't need to be moved. I keep telling him he's going to wake up one day and find that damn X-box at the bottom of the pool.

• Like 2

Well my honey do list should be done within the next week to week and a half. My wife and daughter are leaving for Missouri for 2weeks today. So I am renovating the bathroom and painting my daughters bedroom while they are gone. I had a head start though I installed the new tub last week so the hardest part is done.

my wife actually pushes me to relax more. I'm always busy tinkering or fixing. This is our second house and we've only been here for a year so there's a lot we want to fix. But the last few weeks have been tough because we're throwing a party for my son's first. So everything must be perfect. haha.

• Like 2

Heck Deerthug, I thought you were a lawyer??  Why on earth are you painting yourself?  Just hire someone to do it.  All kidding aside, I have sworn off painting for the rest of my life.  There is no bigger pain in the ass job than painting.  Just the preparation and clean-up takes more time than the actual painting.  Unless it's a very minor job, from now on I will be whipping open my wallet and paying someone to paint and spare myself the headaches. It's not like they will charge you a fortune to paint a couple of rooms.

Heck Deerthug, I thought you were a lawyer??  Why on earth are you painting yourself?  Just hire someone to do it.  All kidding aside, I have sworn off painting for the rest of my life.  There is no bigger pain in the ass job than painting.  Just the preparation and clean-up takes more time than the actual painting.  Unless it's a very minor job, from now on I will be whipping open my wallet and paying someone to paint and spare myself the headaches. It's not like they will charge you a fortune to paint a couple of rooms.

Painting is the second worst job. sanding drywall is # 1 In my book..lol. As for the Honey do list...why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

• Like 1

My honey do list is off the charts.

It'd be fine if it weren't for the house flood earlier this summer.

I have no hope of getting it completed and I have resigned myself to ask for foregiveness rather than permission.

• Like 1

Lol! Yeah I thought about hiring someone but it's more of a "keep my kids busy and son off the X-box" list than anything else. Besides, I enjoy doing things around the house. Keeps my mind off the stressors of work.  

As far as not charging a fortune, I've had my house painted a few times over the last twenty years and I swear, inflation has hit housepainters as well. In 1992 when I bought my house it cost me about $1500 to do three bedrooms, hallway, kitchen, dining and living rooms and three bathrooms.  One guy, alone, with no fancy gadgets - just paint brushes and few rollers.  Fast forward to just three years ago we did the same thing and it cost me close to $5,000.00, but this guy had fancy lights, dryers, electric rollers - I guess I was paying for his toys. Lol!   

Lol! Yeah I thought about hiring someone but it's more of a "keep my kids busy and son off the X-box" list than anything else. Besides, I enjoy doing things around the house. Keeps my mind off the stressors of work.  

As far as not charging a fortune, I've had my house painted a few times over the last twenty years and I swear, inflation has hit housepainters as well. In 1992 when I bought my house it cost me about $1500 to do three bedrooms, hallway, kitchen, dining and living rooms and three bathrooms.  One guy, alone, with no fancy gadgets - just paint brushes and few rollers.  Fast forward to just three years ago we did the same thing and it cost me close to $5,000.00, but this guy had fancy lights, dryers, electric rollers - I guess I was paying for his toys. Lol!   

Oh man, you got ripped off good for $5000!  Plenty of painters available out there for a reasonable price.  Competition amongst them can be tough, so you can definitely negotiate on price.  The ones that are a one or two man operations are the best bet.  Those that look like they are going to work on the set of  the "This Old House" TV series will most certainly take you to the cleaners.  When it comes to plain spackling and painting, one doesn't need high end painters.  It's only a paint job.  Won't last forever no matter who does the painting.

hahahaha! See mine below from a few years ago. I stopped updating because it frustrates the hell out of me.

TASK PRIORTY STATUS DETAILS                         INTERIOR WALLS& CEILING CP             PAINTING/PRIMER CP   ALL INTERIOR ROOMS         KITCHEN TILE CP   CERAMIC W/ BACKER         LR/DR/HL FLOORING CP             LR/DR/HL MOLDINGS LR&DR CP CROWN MOLDING & WALLBASE       BRUSH REMOVAL CP BRUSH STILL ON SITE         KITCHEN WINDOW CP             KITCH COUNTER R&R CP             EXTERIOR WINDOWS CP   cp  LOW "E" ARGON GLASS UNITS    FRONT WALL REPAIR               TOILET LEAK BRAND NEW           BATH SINK REFINISH BRAND NEW           SHOWER HEAD BRAND NEW           BATH SINK HANDLES BRAND NEW           WALL SCONCES BRAND NEW ALL           LIGHT FIXTURES BRAND NEW ALL           WOOD TRIM CP             CLOSETS FLOORS               MILDEW REMOVAL CP             CUT LAWN CP             CUT SMALL TREES CP   REMOVED         REALIGN GUTTERS CP             CLEAN GUTTERS CP             FIX PORCH LEAK CP             BLOWN OUT GARAGE CP             FOUNDATION REPAIR CP   MORTAR AND JOINT SEALER         RADON SEAL/SHEATHING 50% DRYLOCKED BSMT WALLS         FNDTN GRADING               WASTE REMOVAL CP OVER $125 TOTAL COAST         FIREPLACE DECK CP             KITCH CAB. REPAIR CP           FIX OUTSIDE LIGHT&POST CP NEEDS PAINT         REMOVE HEDGES CP   LIL ANGE         RAKE LEAVES CP REMOVED         CHANGE OUTLETS GFI               CHANGE SWITCHES GFI               CLEAN ALL GLASS CP             CHNG DR HRDWR 50%   DEADBOLT         INSTALL MICROWAVE CP RELOCATED OUTLET W/ GFI         PAINT BACK PORCH CP           CLEAN OUT GARAGE CP           INSTALL SEDIMENT FILTR CP             CLEAN OUT BASEMENT CP             WSHR/DRYR CP             DRYR VENT CP             INSTALL DISHWASHER CP             EXTERIOR PAINT CP             ENCLOSE BACK PORCH CP NEW DOOR, NEW WINDOW, SIDING, INSULATION