Do any of you guys have?

josephmrtn

A certain distance that you are less accurate at? im deadly from about 3 to 8 yrds (yes i practice at ALL ranges lol) but from about 8 to 12 i struggle a bit (like my group opens up to about a 8 inch circle I have to try really hard to keep it under about 5 inch) and then from 14 out to 20+ i have much better accuracy.... im kinda wondering why and am i unusual? :) one thing that my bowhunting buddy told me was that im jerking the trigger on the release to much, he showed me how to kinda use the release as a "back tension" release... that helped my accuracy a lot but once in a while i get a touch of target panic (a BAD habit im working on breaking before it starts!!!)

A certain distance that you are less accurate at? im deadly from about 3 to 8 yrds (yes i practice at ALL ranges lol) but from about 8 to 12 i struggle a bit (like my group opens up to about a 8 inch circle I have to try really hard to keep it under about 5 inch) and then from 14 out to 20+ i have much better accuracy.... im kinda wondering why and am i unusual? :) one thing that my bowhunting buddy told me was that im jerking the trigger on the release to much, he showed me how to kinda use the release as a "back tension" release... that helped my accuracy a lot but once in a while i get a touch of target panic (a BAD habit im working on breaking before it starts!!!)

I can't think of a reason that you're having trouble at those distances and not the others.........if it was a form problem, your groups would get worse further out.....most guys start their sighting in and practice no closer than 10 yards, I don't see the benefit of shooting 3 yards.

Edited by jjb4900

You shoot to much for groups and think to much about them... 1 shot a target.at a 3d range or 2 different targets aunknown ranges are best practic. If its within. 3 in of where u aimed your good to go. I know many great target shooters that wouldn't be able to hit a deer 5 yards from them. Groups are not important... a single shot is. Most missed shots are from misjudging distances..practice that more than anything.

• Like 5

not to come off the wrong way, but at this point you should not be having problems unless you have major equipment or form problems.........any decent pro shop can set someone up and have them shooting good groups out to twenty yards in no time. Did you ever get matching arrows of the correct weight to practice with? and they should be the same arrows you intend to hunt with.

You shoot to much for groups and think to much about them... 1 shot a target.at a 3d range or 2 different targets aunknown ranges are best practic. If its within. 3 in of where u aimed your good to go. I know many great target shooters that wouldn't be able to hit a deer 5 yards from them. Groups are not important... a single shot is. Most missed shots are from misjudging distances..practice that more than anything.

THIS. Maby he should get ahold of SOB and go on one of his walk threw the woods events with his many target set ups.

More than likely its due to target panic . For some reason those distances brings it out more in you.. I know I will get in the bad habit of looking at my pin.A person's mind is only capable of concentrating really well on 1 thing at a time... Put your main focus on the target and let everything else happen..

I'm not as accurate at 60 yards as I am 40 yards. So yeah, I would say so. By the way, why the heck are you shooting at 3-5 yards? If I get a deer that close I'm using my knife, cause there's no way I'm drawing a bow without them seeing...haha. Seriously though, quit shooting inside 10 yards, there's no benefit to it.

• Like 2

it sounds like you've been fumbling around for awhile trying to get things right.........advice from people who don't know what or how you're shooting can only go so far, get yourself to a pro shop before the season opens.......you owe it to yourself and the deer to be the best you can.

• Like 1

it sounds like you've been fumbling around for awhile trying to get things right.........advice from people who don't know what or how you're shooting can only go so far, get yourself to a pro shop before the season opens.......you owe it to yourself and the deer to be the best you can.

Fumbling around and having a good time.  The kid gets credit for making things happen with less than top shelf stuff.  He isn't afraid to do things himself, has great ideas and gets it done.  

It doesn't sound like he is shooting too bad at this point.........

Fumbling around and having a good time.  The kid gets credit for making things happen with less than top shelf stuff.  He isn't afraid to do things himself, has great ideas and gets it done.  

sounds to me like he's growing a little frustrated at this point, having fun and getting results that you're happy with are two different things........you don't need top shelf stuff to be effective........I would say if he is having problems at 15 yards, he should have someone help him out......obviously he realizes something is wrong and that's why he's asking for help...and that can't be given by someone who doesn't know what he's shooting and hasn't seen his form.

Edited by jjb4900

My first year bow hunting I killed a buck at 8 yards. Got a couple at 10 sitting in hedgerows the shot is often close .i shoot off my roof at targets real close so I learn the angles ,although year one was lucky.

Keep at it have fun, just keep shooting don't chase your arrows. By that I mean adjusting things until you know it's not you.

My first 2 times shooting this year I was Little high and to the right. I did not like that but knew my bow was on, by the 3 rd time I was hitting where I should be.

Good luck

I can't think of a reason that you're having trouble at those distances and not the others.........if it was a form problem, your groups would get worse further out.....most guys start their sighting in and practice no closer than 10 yards, I don't see the benefit of shooting 3 yards.

they must not plan on being good enough to get deer that close to them :)

I wanna be ready for anything!

EXACTLY!!! if im in a blind which i prob will be there is no reason i couldnt draw with a deer at 4 or 5 yrds esp if its head is behind something

Im having a blast! and yea im pretty happy with my shooting i just wondered why it was like that...

sounds to me like he's growing a little frustrated at this point, having fun and getting results that you're happy with are two different things........you don't need top shelf stuff to be effective........I would say if he is having problems at 15 yards, he should have someone help him out......obviously he realizes something is wrong and that's why he's asking for help...and that can't be given by someone who doesn't know what he's shooting and hasn't seen his form.

No Way!!! Im pumped for the season and am sure of my ability to hit a deer within 20 yrds...

i said 8 yrds not 15...

yes i believe its just target panic because if i slow myself down and just hold the bow drawn for a bit before shooting it helps...

my buddy from pa was up a couple weeks ago and he gave me a couple tips on form but overall he said im pretty good... he also said my bow is one of the quietest he has ever seen... he said it is a few fps slower than his or other newer bows but if the deer cant hear it it really is almost worth it, ESP if im not really gonna shoot much past 20 yrds.... he also showed me how to determine if your arrow is gonna hit a twig at 8 or 10 yrds if the deer is at 20...

• Like 1

What size are your groups at 20 yards? If you cant stack arrows at 10 yards, you have no business going out in the woods with a bow! I know a lot of people want to give you the benefit of the doubt because your a young kid trying to make it work, but I'm being honest. If you cant hit a 4 inch circle every time, you should not be shooting at deer at that distance or farther. If I shot 10 or 15 yards I'd be ruining arrows and you should be too. If you're shooting an 8 inch group, you are definitely doing something wrong or something is wrong with your equipment. Unfortunately, diagnosing whats the problem is next to impossible over the internet.

• Like 1

Not really Joe, anything under 30yds is pretty much a chipshot at the target range. Real world hunting situations are often different.

I'm just the opposite where my aim suffers if I settle in too long, but then again I'm shooting with almost 0% let-off. 

Are you keeping your sight housing centered in the peep?

What size peep do you have installed?

Are you bending at the waist? 

I had a problem last year  dead on at 10 to 15 ...breaking arrows at 25 ...good to 30...I could not get with in 6" of the target at 20...The more I thought about it the worse it got...go figure....It is some times just a mental thing...try concentrating on a routine and even quick shots...

Draw ...acquire target and go through the shot in steps in your mind...ex.....I draw and repeat to my self (this is stand practice) "bend at waist... don't grip bow and this is my only shot" and release...

Also think ...are you breathing...or unconsciously holding your breath ...are you unconsciously gripping the bow....things like that will throw a shot....

This is tricky...As many others have pointed out shooting within 10 yards isn't necessary and honestly its a waste of time.  I've shot a lot of deer and that close of shooting isn't needed, your 10 yard pin will be where you need it no matter your set up.  You have something that will make you a great hunter some day....dedication and hard work, two attributes a lot of kids now a days don't have ( I say kids yet im only 23 myself haha) I would work on your follow through....Your follow through will for sure make you a much more accurate archer on the range and in the woods.  Keep your pin trained on the target and keep looking through the peepsight until your arrow hits the target.  This will become second nature to you and I guarantee it will help your grouping.  Also (your equipment may not be up to it) try shooting longer distances which could be just 40 yards for you.  Longer distances teach you to focus and follow through.  I shoot 50-60 yards, not for hunting practice but for form practice.  I noticed my groups have been getting tighter and tighter after starting to do this.  You'll get there bud, don't get discouraged and just keep after it!

• Like 1

EXACTLY!!! if im in a blind which i prob will be there is no reason i couldnt draw with a deer at 4 or 5 yrds esp if its head is behind something

I Good luck shooting at anything at 4yds out of a blind! If you can get a fawn within 4 yds and pull of the shot let me know :)

I guess I don't understand when people don't practice outside of 20yds... To me it is just plain stupid to not be able to shoot outside 20yds from the stand.  As a bowhunter you have to atleast pracitce and be comfortable out to 40yds.  Even if you don't plan on taking that shot it makes you that much better at 20.  Practicing at 3-10 yds just seems silly to me. 

Edited by njg0621

close practice especially from a treestand is very helpful especially at 3 d target so you can see where your arrow would enter and exit. most people that dont practice will get a high single lung shot or if they are lucky a spine. getting a deer close is fun, and i have taken several under 5 yards off the ground walking and from a stand. keep practicing but try 1 shot at a target. draw aim and release.. dont hold forever or think about it.. for those who love groups ...robinhooding arrows is fun until your buying a new dozen cause yours are all split and shattered.