Drop tine buck

Kot2B

This guy was with a decent 6 chasing a fawn around. I have pictures of them both nose to the ground pushing the fawn, a doe showed up after a couple minutes and chased the bucks. This all happened between 745-815 AM yesterday by the apple trees. Last year I had a drop tine with 3 on the other antler, wonder if he got lucky last year and this is what we ended up with this year.

An antlered doe would most likely still be in velvet. It's not uncommon for droptines and/or dropbeams to reatain shreds of velvet because of the way the antler bone grows. A lot of the time the ends become engorged with blood because of gravity, resulting in softer, more porous bone which seems to have a hard time shedding velvet.

This is most likely the result of an injury. I would let him be and see what he turns into- the idea of "culling" to improve the genetics is the biggest farce in deer hunting.

• Like 2

Glad to see so many deer managers on here and would love to hear more about managing herds for small parcels in a state with no quality management ....please enlighten

Messed up his juvenile rack.... does select whom they breed with....odds are some genius will shoot him with the philosophy of making a "better" deer so save your tag unless this is what you aspire to harvest.

You want bigger deer? Dont shoot little ones or think youll get them by culling any buck in NY.