How many tags do you fill a year?

Vince1

Anywhere from 2-5.My family doesn't eat venison that much so we only have one for the freezer and I wont take another unless I know of people that want a whole deer and then they get it butchered.I used to have a few families at church that took a few each year but last year they didn't want any.

I've got 6 tags so far (my buck, ML, my 2 DMPs and wife's 2 DMP's) and hope to get at least one more when they issue leftover DMP's Nov 1.  I'll put the first three in my freezer, then I'll try to put one or two in my mother-in-law's, then the rest go to the Venison Donation Program if I don't have willing takers.

just curious to know how many tags people fill a year.

would be nice to fill my fridge, but being my first year im glad if it take just one.

Good luck on getting that first one Vince.  Took 3 last year and would be thrilled with that again, although I ran out of venison this summer.  Lots of people who want it.

Until I run out of tags.

1reg season

2 bow ML

2 DMP from fisrt drawing

2 nuisance tags

2 (about guaranteed) in 2nd drawing 

2 signed over.

Don't know what I am going to do with my time in Novermber since I should be filled with these in October.......lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

If I shoot three this year, it'll have been a good great season.

I used to fill quite a few tags in bow season. A couple years in a row, I filled all of my tags in bow season save for the reg season tag. (statewide antlerless, either sex, two first draw DMPs, two second draw DMPs, and two consigned DMPs). Expesnive year for BH and arrows. Nowadays, I may plug one doe and that's it, unless someone else needs the meat or help with the doe numbers.

Use to fill 5 plus a year, now 2 or 3, one always for myself and the others go to family. Brothers and friends have become better hunters soI don't need to fill them to give away. Camp usually ends up with 18-21 a year between the hunters (usually minimum of 10 doe)

I have cut way back. There's only the two of us to eat on the critters, and I still really like my beef, pork and chicken. So I try to keep it down to only two. I like to get one with the bow and one with the gun.

This year I may back-slide a bit and declare war on our local shrub-eating, fruit-tree butchering, deer herd and give away any that are over our needs.

Use to fill 5 plus a year, now 2 or 3, one always for myself and the others go to family. Brothers and friends have become better hunters soI don't need to fill them to give away. Camp usually ends up with 18-21 a year between the hunters (usually minimum of 10 doe)

How much property does your group hunt G-Man?

So im guessing the people pulling down big numbers of deer per year arnt hunting public land.

I will be bow hunting public land Pochuk/Sterling/Otis Pike and maybe Stewart in an attempt to bag a few this year.

got my range up to a decent 18 yards at least i think its decent (traditional) so if they are under 20 yards from me and i dont freeze up, soups on.

thanks for the input all, gives me something to shoot for. hopefully all the scouting pays off.

95% of my deer have been on state land and like i said 3 is kind of my minimum # im shooting for

So im guessing the people pulling down big numbers of deer per year arnt hunting public land.

I will be bow hunting public land Pochuk/Sterling/Otis Pike and maybe Stewart in an attempt to bag a few this year.

got my range up to a decent 18 yards at least i think its decent (traditional) so if they are under 20 yards from me and i dont freeze up, soups on.

thanks for the input all, gives me something to shoot for. hopefully all the scouting pays off.

You might be better off in LI, Stewart is a zoo when it comes to deer hunting, and Sterling isn't much better.

Good luck this season.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems