stealing property out from under you?

wheelieman

I talked to the landowner of the property i hunt today, and he told me that he has had 5 guys stop and offer him money to hunt, 3 out of the five people i know, its discouraging one  even offered 3,500 for the season, I know why they want to hunt there but it makes me angry that they think its ok to go behind my back,  Has anybody else had this happen, Only giggles i get out of the whole thing is my brother and i originally agreed to lease the place for 1,200 and since then the farmer has allowed us to hunt for some steaks and a roast, lol We get to post it, And have written consent to have people arrested for trespassing, I think im going to exercise that this year, Big bucks come and go to throw a friendship away because of it is senseless, Big deal if we have a couple nice shooters out there, In the end all they had to do was ask and help us out, Just venting sorry although these are nice bucks i wouldnt throw away a friendship of years over it 

Edited by wheelieman

Sounds like you have a great deal in place with the land owner, but could you really blame him/her for being interested in $3,500? That probably barely covers 1 year worth of property/school taxes. Sounds like you guys treat the land with respect, which is probably why he didn't entertain the other offers.

It wouldn't really be stealing, but rather stepping on your toes. If they are well aware that you hunt there, that's a crappy thing to do. You might want to make sure your stuff (stands & cams) are still there because they might be just as pissed as you!

Btw, nice buck!

• Like 1

My aunt wanted to get permission for a friend of hers on a property i have access too. She was gonna talk to the owner and offer money. I went on to tell her there are no deer on the property, and ive hunted for years with little luck. So she dropped it. Lying is fun.

only thing is he wont take money from us, we have tried for 4 years to give him money he owns 125 acres out of the 125 only about 75 is huntable, We agreed at the beginning to pay for all the land at 10 dollars an acre, we gave him the cash, and a few days later he came back and gave it back saying give me some venison, and you can hunt it all you want, we approached again this summer with the same offer, he just wont take anything from us, In return we fix fences and throw hay, chase cows in the middle of the night, but he wont take money, 

• Like 2

Maybe he's just hinting to you that he will be looking to take an offer like that if you don't counter offer? You said you paid $1200 a while back, maybe he's going to start expecting that instead of the steaks and roast. Just a thought.

Sent this before I saw your latest post. Seems like he would rather have a reliable set of hands to help over a stack of cash. Bring a farmer myself, I can understand that.

• Like 1

I agree witht the above I don't think it is stealing from you. Since it is not your property (you didnt own it) then The farmer has that right to lease it out to someone else if he desired. for $3,500 ... I would regardless of whether or not you would be pissed. being its not your land why would you think it would be ok if you had the decision making powers over the property owner as to who can or cant use the land? it sounds like You have permission to have trespassers arrested,but not give out permission to use it to whom you choose. maybe you do tho I don't know, that's not how your thread read..  BUT, that being said the farmer sounds like a stand up guy and since you have a preexisting relationship with him  then you are a lucky guy.   Great bucks!! Id wanna get in there also!! P.S. Not trying to start an agreement but I thought I would just point out a few things from another perspective

Edited by apoallo
  • Like 1

thats why you should not post trailcam pics or talk abt the good ones you have on camera.  Some of my best friends in life hunt and we all know dont ask.  I would never let a deer come between me and a buddy.  Sometimes we will say what we saw, if we are in an area kinda close with others that we do not like, but for the most part if we see a good one we just call and put the word out where it was and if someone has a spot there they go after it.  but never like hey joe i saw a good one at that property on whatever street.  

• Like 2

First thing is whether they knew you huntes there. Sometimes happenstance takes place. I've unknowingly asked for permission on ground that was hunted by someone I knew. If I had known, I wouldn't have inquired.

If they did know, then that is crappy. It does feel like someone is stealing from you....stealing access. Its not a knock on the farmer if he takes it. Its just crappy of those people.

Its hard not to share pics, but it has to be done. Only select people you can trust. Even then, you have to be double sure.

Never understood friends getting mad over a buck. I'm equally as happy if a friend tags a buck we are chasing if not more sometimes. No reason to be mad.

That's just dirty dealing...sorry......do you think the farmer is trying to avoid liability issues by saying no to money.....You may want to try another approach...before those other guys think of it...say a written motorized liability release and cash under the table 

Best of luck with every thing

Some of these lease situations become a bidding war. When people used to say that hunting would become a rich man's sport, it turns out that they may have been right. It sure is getting worse every year. Thank heavens for state land, but really with more and more people losing hunting access, how many hunters can the state land continue to accommodate?

I realize that money was not the issue in your situation (Although it could have turned out that way). But the situation relates to the same thing ..... competition for hunting access. It's getting brutal. The costs of vacant hunting land have gotten absolutely ridiculous (because people are willing to pay whatever is asked). The amount of money that hunters are willing to drop for hunting leases has become a joke. And granting permission for hunting has gotten nearly non-existent. Today you have to be a good beggar or become slave laborer to obtain hunting permission. And now the small amount of land that is open has become a mud-wrestling match to hang onto. So what does all this say about the future of hunting?

Putting meat in the freezes is great and if I get one with some head gear than even better, I just really like getting up at 4 and meeting my dad and brother for the drive to the land to hunt and joke and laugh, sucks to hear so many people are just focused on one aspect of hunting these days, antlers.

I know i dont own it was more of a way of how to say some body is trying to go behind your back and take away something i care deeply about, you cant steal land i get it,  if you have a better way to describe the situation then let me know, 

you said it 100% correct, they're stealing your access

call me old fashion, but this would leed to a serious a** beatin, you don't mess with your friends wife, or there hunting ground

sounds like some behind the woodshed justice is needed

• Like 1

Ok, I own almost 200 acres and never had anyone try and lease my hunting rights. Well most people in the area know how much I love to hunt so that might be why. One thing I can understand from a land owners is wanting to lease out the hunting rights. My land is woods,hedgerows and farm fields. This year the school taxes went up almost 10 percent because the cap on agriculture assessments expired. For years the agriculture assessment was capped at 2 percent but not now. I just did some quick math, my taxes increased on this land $420 this year alone (between school and property), and just a touch lower last year.So my taxes have increased on farm land with not doing any improvements of almost $1000 dollars. I think leasing the hunting rights now is just a little extra help for the land owner.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing wheeleman its some times not about how green the cash is its how you help some one my family has the same set up with some folks around us we help with chores fences and things and we have may acres to do what we want with and after the season is over we hunt yotes and trap furs and shoot small game great people i even offered to cut there fire wood one year for  one of the owners his reply was i might be a little older then you but im not dead yet lol one faimly even put in the deed when they sold it that me and my family have life time rights and so far they have been great with it . keep up the good work you should have a good spot for years to come