Thoughts on when you spook deer.

RobC

Wondering what your thoughts are when you spook deer near your stand on your way in. Do you call it quits on the area and head for another stand or still sit it? I'm talking with in 200 yards or closer to your stand.

Hit the grunt call and keep going. Seems to be the general consensus. Heck if they blow at me while im hunting i still grunt and sit there. Had it happen the other night, got blown at and she took off. 10 minutes later another deer came from the same area same trail lol

good thoughts. Here is one. what if after you setup your stand come it turns out that you have 2 resident doe bedding 20 to 30 feet from  the bottom of your stand. I have noticed this the 2 times ive cchecked my trail cam. the property has only one way for me to get in. I get to the stand and I see 2 deer stand up and bounce away. then happened again a second time. both were around 12 1:00 in the afternoon. I figure that will be my AM spot. 

I generally continue on with my original plans (just stubbornness). I have to say that I have never had any luck at a stand that I have spooked a deer out of. Unfortunately I usually am in a position where there is not enough time to change locations, and I refuse to simply give up and head home (although that would probably be the smarter thing to do ... lol).

keep going if you have a bleet or a grunt call use it lightly get to the stand. I have had deer spook run away blowing till i couldnt hear them any more then come blowing right back to where they were spooked from to check out what it was that scared them and shot them

• Like 1

Had a doe blow when walking out of my stand Sunday evening.  I was several hundred yards from my stand and heard her blow at me, she stood there waving her tail but did not move.  I feel she heard me walking but did not see me.  She then turned broadside and was looking around, she blew several more times but did not move.  After several minutes she walked away.  I say carry on with what you are doing.

The buck in pic was bedded under my stand...he spooked and ran...half way up the ladder he comes grunting and snorting back...I grunted and snorted...he turns and trots off in a semi circle into our woods...at day light he came walking back looking around...I shot him just 3yrds from the stand.....many times I've been snorted at going in...I stomp and snort back...then trot stop trot...shake a branch ..ect..ect to the stand...making sure I don't "sound human" with a steady gate....ever hear a skunk in the woods?...they shuffle through the leafs looking for grubs...I some times shuffle my feet if I know deer are around...and when alls quiet...it's 10 steps stop and listen to the count of 10 more steps..ect..ect

happens a lot around me. More prevalent in the afternoon and why I prefer mornings. Be sure to get in even earlier if you're hunting a transition or near a bedding area and you're jumping them. I don't think it's ever stopped me from continuing into the woods, after all I'm up and dressed. I know some guys who bring a turkey call and do soft calls while walking. Always thought it was a good idea but never tried it.

keep going if you have a bleet or a grunt call use it lightly get to the stand. I have had deer spook run away blowing till i couldnt hear them any more then come blowing right back to where they were spooked from to check out what it was that scared them and shot them

Yep! Had that before

I was in a ground blind and watched 4 does surround me (like circling the wagons). 2 of them stomping and blowing hard for few minutes. practically could reach out and touch them. few minutes later then slowly separated and dispersed. about half hour later, 2 came back into about 20 yards and the right angle. got a shot off and put one down. As skiddish as they are at times, they are quite curious and that can get the best them !