True definition of a "meat hunter"?

TeeBugg

Steve I agree It rubs me the wrong way to but you can not reason with people like this

If I saw it I would probably let them leave & take the rest butcher it myself & donate it

For me its not hard to find someone who wants venison. I give away meat almost every year. Last year me and my hunting buddies gave away 2 deer to people who really needed it. Its a good feeling. I just don't get the whole wasting thing either.

Some major contradictions we have as hunters is that we go after the buck with the biggest antlers or the fattest doe.  As a result, we're actually removing the most desirable genetics from the herd.  In nature, the weakest and smallest are removed from the gene pool.  Hunters do the opposite.  Sure, you can say a 4-5 year old buck has sowed his seeds already but why not let him keep spread his genes around?  If a doe made it to it's 5th year she must be doing something right.  Nature probably would want her teaching young does more than the dumb ones.

Second contradiction is to feed coyotes and then justify killing them because they've over-populated and are a nuisance.  Baiting them makes sense but feeding them doesn't.

Just some things that I noticed.  Not enough for me to pass on a huge buck in favor of sick looking spike.  I'll still take the bigger one.  I also leave badly damaged squirrels sometimes for the scavengers.  It's just something I noticed.

• Like 1

Again, my point is this....who cares what people do with their deer as long as they legally shoot n tag it. I could care less if someone wears it as a Halloween costume, eats the hooves, or using it as a Xmas decoration.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

we are a group of people with enough other people against us that those who are senseless killing are not helping our cause. You can nuisance hunt deer and eat them. Nuisance hunting doesn't mean you leave them to rot...

• Like 1

I think you should either eat your deer or donate to the less fortunate, or if you must give it to your dog

but to shoot a doe, to use as bait to kill a fox or coyote which neither of which you will eat is legal? yes ethical? not too sure about that

need coyote bait? use some freezer burn steaks and chicken in your freezer you were probably gonna toss anyway.

I see this as killing for the sake of killing.

Edited by Danny

My favorite meal is venison backstraps on the BBQ.  That being said I do pass up on fawns and spikes now, though I have shot plenty of both in the past.  My buddy that I have been hunting with for 30yrs will not shoot does nor any small buck.  Alot of guys on this thread are even more selective and to each his own.  So I consider myself a meat hunter and my buddy an EGO hunter..lol

I consider myself a meat hunter. I could care less what anyone thinks about the deer I choose to shoot. I love venison and put whatever I can in the freezer. All the deer I have taken with the exception of my first were 1.5 years old. My first was that years fawn and I took it in late black powder and was the first deer I had seen all year. Ever since then I have passed many fawns . I consider all the deer I have taken to be trophies to me I busted my @ss every year to prepare for the season and spend hours upon hours on stand and don't get a deer every year. If someone gets a deer I am happy for them it doesn't matter if it is a doe, spike or 10 point if they did it legally they put work in to get it. In my area you can go weeks without seeing anything. I went to my future brother inlaws camp the other day and saw a doe 2 fawns and atleast a 6 point possibly an 8 point buck chasing them I could have taken the doe or the buck but they were on someone else's property. I was more happy to finally see something while hunting since October 1st. When I do shoot a deer I am happy as can be it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks and I enjoy every bite of it.

• Like 1

we are a group of people with enough other people against us that those who are senseless killing are not helping our cause. You can nuisance hunt deer and eat them. Nuisance hunting doesn't mean you leave them to rot...

I think you should either eat your deer or donate to the less fortunate, or if you must give it to your dog

but to shoot a doe, to use as bait to kill a fox or coyote which neither of which you will eat is legal? yes ethical? not too sure about that

need coyote bait? use some freezer burn steaks and chicken in your freezer you were probably gonna toss anyway.

I see this as killing for the sake of killing.

For the 10th time, I don't do this. All I'm saying is I have more important things to worry about as opposed to worrying what other people do with their legally shot and tagged deer.  Like I said many times, I only shoot bucks and donate them. I keep the backstraps & antlers only. I get a DMP each year incase I ever saw an albino or piebald doe. Typically, towards the end of the gun season, I give away my DMP tag. The last 2 years I gave it away to members of this forum who I had never met before.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Some major contradictions we have as hunters is that we go after the buck with the biggest antlers or the fattest doe.  

Many, MANY contradictions in hunting actually.  Of course most hunters won't admit to them.  Hunters talk about what's better for the health of the herd and stuff like that, but come on now, lets face it.  We know that what's MORE important is what's better for US hunters, and what's good for the deer is secondary.  Of course one goes hand in hand with the other, but if there wasn't something in it for the hunter, I doubt hunters would be worried about the health of the herd.  Perfect examples here are food plots and AR's.  Like people would be spending the time, money, and energy to plant food plots if there wasn't something in it for us hunters in the end??  And let's not even get into AR's. LOL  A more self-serving idea has never been devised by hunters!

• Like 1

Yeah, and I've heard you say in other posts that those who shoot a 1.5 year old buck are shooting the dumbest deer in the woods as a put down to those hunters.  You wouldn't hear any excuses from many of us for killing that small buck, but I have a hunch that you still wouldn't like it...

Ahh..Shocker, My friend Steve picks apart my post again.  Well my friend, Some of us no longer get our rocks off shooting the dumbest deer in the woods. Those that have no choice. Thats fine. Those that do shoot a baby and then make an excuse as to why they shot that deer. Well thats another story.  I can only imagine what one of those that you fit under!

In most respects I think all deer hunters are "meat hunters"... the term only bothers me when hunters use it as an excuse for why they shoot yearling bucks... except for areas where there are no DMP's given there are plenty of doe to put in the freezer... I am a meat hunter and have filled my doe tags during the late muzzleloader season for the last 15 years... what I don't eat I donate... I personally have never found the need to take a yearling buck to put meat in the freezer when there are so many opportunities to harvest doe(s)... but to each his own... I think if you want to take yearling bucks, just say that's what you like doing... there is nothing wrong with that... using it to justify taking a young buck means to me that you are ashamed of doing what you like to do... you shouldn't be ashamed... it's legal... so you shouldn't have to justify anything.

Although I'm not into taking younger bucks... if I was I wouldn't feel the need to justify it any other way than it's my choice and that's what I want to do... hiding behind the "meat hunter" thing seems a bit disingenuous to me. Unless you don't have the option of taking a doe instead.

Ahh..Shocker, My friend Steve picks apart my post again.  Well my friend, Some of us no longer get our rocks off shooting the dumbest deer in the woods. Those that have no choice. Thats fine. Those that do shoot a baby and then make an excuse as to why they shot that deer. Well thats another story.  I can only imagine what one of those that you fit under!

Thanks for verifying that you are not fond of those who shoot those dumb 1.5 year olds.  And you don't have to imagine anything about what category I fall under.  I will never make an excuse to you or anyone why I shot that 1.5 year old.  It's perfectly legal and you can't do anything about it, other than get pissed of course.  LOL

• Like 1

Nope, only on #2 watching red sox winning. I'm 100% serious by the way. I don't have time to worry about what people do with their deer, who cares as long as its legal? I shoot bucks only, donate it n keep the backstraps n antlers. I never shoot does, but would if I saw an albino or piebald one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

What if people thought all hunters were like that? You wouldn't mind the stereotype?

Thanks for verifying that you are not fond of those who shoot those dumb 1.5 year olds.  And you don't have to imagine anything about what category I fall under.  I will never make an excuse to you or anyone why I shot that 1.5 year old.  It's perfectly legal and you can't do anything about it, other than get pissed of course.  LOL

Fond has nothing to do with it. Everybody grows up in their hunting life. If you ever do means nothing to me. Some dont have what it takes to go after mature deer. Could be you!  Some dont have time or places to hunt. Could be you!  Really dont give a rats ass one way or the other. If you get off on it..By all means, Have at it!!

well hate to say this I have the best excuse yet

I am 110# soaking wet I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix I shoot the little ones because I can drag them easier, they will fit in my Trunk & they taste the best

I am going to hunt what I want how i want Legally & nobody is going to tell me different

this thread is getting old funny but old so my sign on this thread is

GONE HUNTING

• Like 3

Fond has nothing to do with it. Everybody grows up in their hunting life. If you ever do means nothing to me. Some dont have what it takes to go after mature deer. Could be you!  Some dont have time or places to hunt. Could be you!  Really dont give a rats ass one way or the other. If you get off on it..By all means, Have at it!!

Dude, you really are a piece of work.  You try to pretend that you don't care what the other guy shoots, but then you make underhanded remarks about how inferior those people who choose to shoot the young deer seem to be.  You see that's the BIG difference between trophy hunters like you, and people like me who are happy with pretty much anything they are lucky enough to shoot.  I could care less if you wait for a buck that's 13 years old and cripple.  It's your choice to shoot what you want.  Of course, you are not extending that same courtesy to me since you are pissed to NO end with guys like me who are as happy with shooting any deer.  And NOPE, we are not giving you any excuses for it either, yet you go out of your way to demean us.

• Like 1

Well, I seem to be having a bit of a problem git'n-er-done this year. There's an awful lot of "almosts", but no deer down yet. So this thread has brought to mind the most perfect excuse for my failure so far this year and I believe I am about to join in and use it this year.

My official position right now (and current excuse for failure at this point of the season) is that "I will shoot no deer before it's time". I am holding out for a book buck, Oh let's say a minimum of 150 or 160. Oh sure there were a lot of "lesser" deer that I could have shot but due to my superior hunting prowess, I cannot lower my standards to shoot anything less than 4.5 years old. I want to see that severe sway in the back and a toothless, nearly blind buck that is stumbling through the woods suffering from old-age. A man has to have his standards ....right? There, how does that sound? Pretty convincing eh? Heck I can justify years of going scoreless with that line ..... lol. What the heck .... when the going gets tough, just raise your standards to the point where you can easily and believably justify failure.... :D   Sorry couldn't help myself ..... The devil made me do it! I have noted some great examples of "implied bragging" (well some of it goes beyond implied .... lol), and I think it is all pretty funny. But I am beginning to see the usefulness of it all now. 

• Like 1

We're all hunters plain and simple. You can sprinkle whatever you want on it. It's still hunting.

Any one have any tp cause this thread is gonna need it I bet.

I am a hunter, no other descriptive words needed.

I agree. I think hunters are so worried about dividing everyone into categories and knocking eachother because some hunt differently than others it weakens us as a group. All hunters need to stick together. Fighting amongst ourselves is exactly what the antis want.

• Like 1

I agree. I think hunters are so worried about dividing everyone into categories and knocking eachother because some hunt differently than others it weakens us as a group. All hunters need to stick together. Fighting amongst ourselves is exactly what the antis want.

One thing you can never change is the fact that hunters are people too. We all have opinions. We all have different backgrounds, traditions, up-bringing, and different values and ethics handed down from parents, friends and family members. And while it may seem at times like we are constantly at each other's throats and trying to force our opinions and beliefs of everyone around us, The fact is that it is precisely these diverse opinions and the resulting discussions (sometimes heated) that is our strength. It all keeps us from marching too far off into one extreme or the other. The constant discussion from every viewpoint is what settles out the middle ground and keeps our over-all core opinions fairly unified. If anyone doubts that, just check out the reactions of the whole hunting community when outsiders (the antis) start up their campaigns against any segment of us. Our disagreements are all superficial and the antis have more than once been shocked at our actual unity when tested.

• I am a hunter.

• If deer did not have meat on them I would not hunt them.

• I guess that would make me a meat hunter.

• I was raised to use every game animal/fish the best you can. As in you do not leave it laying in the woods! As others have posted their are many people out there on tough times that would certainly take a tagged deer to feed their families. Someone who does not do all they can to make that happen and leave it to rot well it may be legal but not someone I would want to associate with. Just because it is legal does not make it right.

• I also do not shoot the biggest doe out of a bunch. Did that once and I believe shooting the matriarch doe can screw up future deer patterns for a long time.

• I could also cook a 2.5 year old doe and a 2.5 year old buck tenderloin on the grill with minimal spices and such and I would bet no one could tell the difference in them.

• Now I have had .5 year olds, hey shit happens! And that is the best piece of meat walking around out there!

• Myself at this stage of my hunting career all fawns and 1.5 year old bucks get a pass. And maybe some 2.5s as well. That is my choice I have been through the get your first stage and the get a lot of anything stage. I have done both and enjoyed the heck out of it as anyone else should. I will say if I have no meat in the freezer and it is the last week 1.5 years old will get shot! Horns and tags eat like shit.

• Generalities just get you in trouble. I would not say a 1.5 year old buck is any dumber than a 12 point 5.5 year old buck following a hot doe! I like a big buck as much as the next guy but not my top goal.

• All this deer size, gender, age and success also is relative to where you hunt, how much you hunt and what your goals are. Everyone has their own situations and goals.

• Like 3

My favorite meal is venison backstraps on the BBQ. That being said I do pass up on fawns and spikes now, though I have shot plenty of both in the past. My buddy that I have been hunting with for 30yrs will not shoot does nor any small buck. Alot of guys on this thread are even more selective and to each his own. So I consider myself a meat hunter and my buddy an EGO hunter..lol

That's pretty hypocritical. It's not ok for horn hunters to criticize meat hunters, but any horn hunter is ego hunting?

There's nothing wrong with not shooting any deer because you're selective, and there is nothing wrong with filling your tags if you need the meat.

I will always try and wait for the big guy. The season is long. When the days get shorter you better believe I'm filling my freezer. I am at a point personally where I'm trying to pass 1.5's and would rather shoot a doe for the meat. I believe that horn hunters do have an obligation to shoot some doe as well in areas where balance is needed... If you're going to eat it.

• I am a hunter.

• If deer did not have meat on them I would not hunt them.

• I guess that would make me a meat hunter.

• I was raised to use every game animal/fish the best you can. As in you do not leave it laying in the woods! As others have posted their are many people out there on tough times that would certainly take a tagged deer to feed their families. Someone who does not do all they can to make that happen and leave it to rot well it may be legal but not someone I would want to associate with. Just because it is legal does not make it right.

• I also do not shoot the biggest doe out of a bunch. Did that once and I believe shooting the matriarch doe can screw up future deer patterns for a long time.

• I could also cook a 2.5 year old doe and a 2.5 year old buck tenderloin on the grill with minimal spices and such and I would bet no one could tell the difference in them.

• Now I have had .5 year olds, hey shit happens! And that is the best piece of meat walking around out there!

• Myself at this stage of my hunting career all fawns and 1.5 year old bucks get a pass. And maybe some 2.5s as well. That is my choice I have been through the get your first stage and the get a lot of anything stage. I have done both and enjoyed the heck out of it as anyone else should. I will say if I have no meat in the freezer and it is the last week 1.5 years old will get shot! Horns and tags eat like shit.

• Generalities just get you in trouble. I would not say a 1.5 year old buck is any dumber than a 12 point 5.5 year old buck following a hot doe! I like a big buck as much as the next guy but not my top goal.

• All this deer size, gender, age and success also is relative to where you hunt, how much you hunt and what your goals are. Everyone has their own situations and goals.

Well said Fletch.