Trespassers

ItalianHunter5

My father and I just received permission to hunt a property and we took a walk in there today. The woman who owns it told us that no one else has permission and there was a lot of evidence of hunters, a ladder stand, a freshly made wooden stand and a blind. Realistically if we come across these guys during the season, should we say something because we are the only ones in there legally?

First look up the land parcel to make sure she actually owns the land you speak of. I had a land owner say they owned a big piece of land and it came to find out that they only owned 8 acres.

Then I'd talk to the land owner about the situation and see what they would like to happen. And I'd personally offer the land owner to post signs on their property line for them in return exclusive rights to hunt and keep people out.

Oh yeah this is definitely her property cause I did a lot of research on it before we came out and asked if we could use it haha. You know what the horrible part is? She posts it every year and there's the bright yellow posted signs estimated every 6th or so tree, along the entire border of the property. What really bugs me is the fact that someone goes in and actually builds one out of wood, at least you can remove the ladder stand. I think that's a good idea though, I have to speak to the land owner and see what she would like to do about it.

Back when I was always looking for new spots, I'd run into owners who would say " I don't let people hunt the land". That was about the best thing I hoped to hear.

My answer was always,I bet I can find stands and guys hunting it now you just don't know it, if you let me hunt it I'll keep the trespassers out, I'll be the bad guy for you , and you'll know who's in there.

Did not always work, but only needed one.

• 2 weeks later...

She's not worried because she hates deer and encourages more hunters...even though they are running all over her property. Went back in there today, on the trail to my spot and about 50 yards from my father's spot stood a brand new ladder stand. Make that #4 that I've seen in there. If anything I hope these guys are bowhunters so we don't run into them during gun season. Not looking for any trouble.

I have a camera that overlooks a trail very near the house. Yesterday, I got a picture of a couple of jerks walking their dog through the posted line right onto our driveway at a point where the whole yard and house are completely visible. It's a wonder I didn't lose that camera. What a brazen act of trespass.

post-11-0-77446400-1383835615_thumb.jpg

If you look close, you can see through the spruce, the corner od a yellow metal posted sign. What you can't see (but they clearly can) is the sign on the back side of the apple tree that they are walking right past.

Ya that needs to get blown up and several copies made...Caption...Do you know who these trespassers are? call --- --- --- with information please

bulletin board at local grocery store....post office.....a couple of telephone poles at intersections...that should take care of it...but move the camera first....

It's amazing that even full time residents have major trespasser problems.............I hate to think what goes on at property that only has part time residents. There is no doubt that certain people know who's around and who's not, and take full advantage of it.

Edited by jjb4900

I have a camera that overlooks a trail very near the house. Yesterday, I got a picture of a couple of jerks walking their dog through the posted line right onto our driveway at a point where the whole yard and house are completely visible. It's a wonder I didn't lose that camera. What a brazen act of trespass.

attachicon.gifIMAG0056.JPG

If you look close, you can see through the spruce, the corner od a yellow metal posted sign. What you can't see (but they clearly can) is the sign on the back side of the apple tree that they are walking right past.

i get this too. Had to have a talk with the neighbors and their response was... "well she's a senior in high school" she will be leaving soon. WTF?

To the OP. While the other hunters are technically tresspassing, I doubt they've been told not to hunt their and may have been doing so for generationgs. So I think it's fair to be nice about it at first. See where it goes. I know land around me that's a free for all. It's not until a hunter buys the property or leases it that it becomes a challenge to start enforcing the rules and some understand... some do not. You also might find they try to one-up your lease. They do deserve that chance too i guess. If your lease is free and she's all about killing as many deer as possible, i think you're SOL

Edited by Belo

Ask the landowner what they want, then be polite about it. Posted sign on their stand, if you happen to see them just find out who they are first, may be the neighbor who owns 3x that amount of land, be sad to kick someone off only to have your deer run on their own property and be unretrieveable as now they have grudge against you. It can be hard to do when emotions are running high. Neighbor did that to a guy that owned land that surrounded his on two sides, guy was " cutting the corner" to get to his stand, booted him and lost a nice buck when it ran onto guys land and he was booted off.... just something to think about.

She's not worried because she hates deer and encourages more hunters...even though they are running all over her property. Went back in there today, on the trail to my spot and about 50 yards from my father's spot stood a brand new ladder stand. Make that #4 that I've seen in there. If anything I hope these guys are bowhunters so we don't run into them during gun season. Not looking for any trouble.

It's nice of those people to set stands up for ya.

You can bet, it's firearm hunters, setting stands up this time of year. Be carefull!

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

We have had people who were told they cannot hunt still build tree stands on the property. One guy built a nice ladder stand out of treated lumber which I chopped down with a machete and piled up under the tree for him. Then my uncle called him and asked him to remove his garbage. He was not happy but it was funny and I havent seen him up there again. :spiteful:

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas, I want to do as much as I can to get these guys off, but in the politest way possible. Like I said earlier and GMan too, I can't make enemies especially cause I am new to this property. With the amount of spots it looks like they have, either they don't care like the guys in that picture or they really know the area and have been there for years. I'll find out in a couple weeks when I'm out there with my 20 gauge every day!