Rifle Decision

I was looking to pick up a new rifle and my 2 final choices are the Remington 700 and the Thompson Center Venture.  Not too sure which one to pick up… Dicks is running a sale on the 700's this week I believe they're $550. I've heard good things about both of these rifles.  I'm leaning towards the Venture because it offers a Lifetime warranty vs. the 2 year from Remington..  Which would you choose.  Whichever one I choose, it will be a 3006.  Has anyone had any bad experiences with either or?

Myself, when I was looking last year, I bought the savage axis.  Very accurate smooth action and 325 out the door with a bushnell scope which I switched out.  Just a suggestion.  Of the two you mentioned, it would be the venture

Remington has had a lot of quality issues as of late.  The new 700s are of no comparison to the earlier models  quality-wise

Now how true is this??  I have one that I bought new in 1985 and another that I bought in 1998, so granted I haven't  bought one in years now.  But, the ones I've looked at in stores really don't look much worse to me than earlier ones?  Nothing that's made anymore is given the extra touches as things made years ago.  I don't think we will be going back to those days either.  Functionally and accuracy wise, I don't think the new 700's will fail anyone.

Does the Remington have the hinged floorplate, or is it a blind mag.?.It gets old cycling cartridges through the blind mag to unload.

I am not a big fan of detachable mags, and have always preferred a hinged floorplate, but I would take a DBM over a blind magazine.

The BDL is the only one. I think it might also been discontinued but I'm not sure if it has been discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I assumed that the 700 in question is NOT the BDL due to the price..

I remember seeing ADLs with tupperwear stocks, matte blue finish and a blind staggered box mag.

My current 700 is a Mountain Rifle and has a DBM...I think the earlier MT Rifles had the hinged floorplate, but by the time I got around to buying one they were only making them with the DBM...I would have preferred a hinged floorplate, but I love the rifle otherwise, so I tolerate the DBM.

I have a venture and can attest to the accuracy. I have 3 inch groups of .75" at 100 yards with my .308 ammo. Mine prefers the hornady custom 160gr. Ammo, I tried federal fusion and it shot like 2" at 100 yards, Remington corelock 1" at 100 yards and tack driver with the hornady.

With that being said, my next rifle will be a Weatherby vanguard series II. They are affordable and beyond accurate with amazing quality. .300WSM is my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

not all model 700s are created equal... Dick's sells the ADL which is a lesser grade than the BDL and CDL.  that's why it's cheap.  both that and the TC Venture are great dependable rifles though.  i'd go with the TC Venture given the choice.  The Ventures accuracy is guaranteed and I'm a big fan of a short throw 60 degree bolt.  I've taken a 2 quick accurate follow up shot to anchor multiple bucks in woods because of my rifle having a short throw bolt.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint in 308. I have nothing but praise for my rifle! I personally put 5 round groups at 100 yds in about 1 inch, I let my friend, who is a much better shot than I am, shoot it, and was hitting .6" groups!

I am a fan of the venture's bolt.  Like dbHunterNY said, the location and ease is very nice.  I just didnt think it was as smooth as the 700's though.  Just my opinion.  I think both will shoot better than most people can take advantage of simply because a stand or shooting sticks is not a bench. It really comes down to feel, price and comfort.  (I believe reliability is equal, so I am not addressing the warranty)

Joshua