Thiefs are getting bolder

apoallo

A friend that my brother in law works with got a nice 11 point with his bow in westchester yesterday evening, he dressed it out and hung it in his back yard for the night. He woke to an unpleasant surprise. When he went outside to look at the buck it's head was missing. Some one had came in during the night and cut the head off . He followed the trail of blood from the body to the side of his property which borders a side road..... Trail cam and stand thieves are scum but this one deserves the scum of the year award. It's a shame because the guy had a history with this buck and when he finally gets him this happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by apoallo

That's extremely upsetting... Can't believe people would stoop so low to do something like that. I mean to steal the head of a deer another guy has hanging on his property is freakin low. Some guys will do anything to get horns, I mean literally anything.

Crazy, that sucks. What town? This has been going on for years. My Dad told me stories of hanging bucks getting stolen from westchester, putnam, dutchess in the 60's n 70's. He said he would never leave one hanging outside because of this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Did they cape it out or just hack the head off at the neck? If he ever does get it back, it may not be suitable for mounting.

I would be surprised if they had the gonads to take it to a taxidermist, but that is exactly where I would start looking. I would report it to the DEC also. They may come across disposed of remains.

It's real hard to figure out what gets into the minds of these dirt-bags. What could possibly possess anyone to do that?

Jesus,    talk about low!!  That is a good way to end up being fed to the coyotes up in these parts!

I hope they catch the bastard!                                                                

This has been going on for many years,I bet they are selling just the cap with the antlers attached,That's why we hang ours in a unheated building as a barn.

I guess you have to hang your trail cameras near the hanging deer.

Thats what we do. Hangs in a locked barn or garage. People these days are getting bold. One of these times they are gonna get caught in the act...or at least i hope they do!

Happened in westchester county. Deer was taken in Yorktown . From what I understand the head was hacked off. Apparently there was a feud with a neighbor last year. The neighbor is bielieved to be the thief but they can't prove it. . I believe he is printing pictures of the deer before the head was cut off. And spreading them around. Since the head was just cut and not caped out then I would suspect a neighbor or someone who doesn't like the guy so someone he knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been going on for years. My Dad told me stories of hanging bucks getting stolen from westchester, putnam, dutchess in the 60's n 70's. He said he would never leave one hanging outside because of this.

Very true, this is nothing new.  Have heard about this kind of stuff many, may years ago.  They would even steal a small doe, let alone a big buck.  I've even had the misfortune to actually meet a couple of clowns who admitted to doing it.  

Constantly search on places like ebay or craigslist or anywhere guys sell antlers. Get in touch with taxidermists and they will probably tell you where most antlers are sold on line. I'd also consider making some casual visits to neighbors to chit chat and see if you happen to see any antlers sticking out of the corner of an open garage... 

That does suck.

Fact is there are thieves of all strip. Don't leave your lap top in your car,or your wallet in the gym locker,and yes my buck hangs in the garage .

I know a guy who slept outside with his buck at the cabins in Letchworth out of fear of theft.

stealing deer is not that uncommon down here, not sure about the rest of the state. 

a tip you might want to use, is one my uncle taught me.  make a duplicate copy of your tag with a note saying this deer was stolen from.....  Ater you tag the deer, place the duplicate copy in the bucks month (way back). when the taxidermist goes to mount the deer, he will find the duplicate copy. By doing this there is a chance you'll get you deer back.

Good luck tomorrow...guys / gals!

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1