Another Boot Thread

BackWoods Hunter

When I search the site to see which boots you guys like, everyone is wearing rubber boots as opposed to a leather type of hiking boot. I wondered why that is and also if the guys who are still hunting also prefer that boot. I am in need of a new pair of boots that will keep my feet warm in temperatures that are in the tens and twenties.

By searching the site, I already know most of you guys prefer either mock boots or lacrosse boots for the rubber type.

for stand or blind stationary hunting I avoid the rubber they dont keep feet warm enough. walking in is fine but an hour+ later your feet will have worked up a sweat and start getting cold in my experience since rubber does not breathe. if you are on foot still hunting they could work and you dont have think twice about walking through water and mud.  If your sitting still for the day you may want a pac style boot with removable liners or regualr waterproof hunting boot with 1000gram+ thinsulate.  maybe some stick on toe warmers just in case

I use the insulater rubber boots for still hunting, stand hunting, pushing on drives etc. I like the 800 gram with a decent rocky sock and never get cold feet. As said ive used the heavier grams and my feet would sweat and get cold. I like them for the scent factor and the fact that i hunt in some pretty wet an swampy areas.

I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns for Upland bird hunting as I will walk about 4 miles on a hunt.  I love them and recommend them.  The cold has not been an issue for my feet.  My hunting buddy just spent about $200 for a pair of insulated Muck boots that he really likes.  If you are really concerned about cold, you may consider my duck hunting setup, which is rubber boots and neoprene socks.  That is my answer to cold feet, and nothing has exposed me to more cold weather than duck hunting.

I own a pair of 800gram insulated leather hunting boots and a pair of the woodland insulated muck boots.

I find the mucks to be awkward to walk in and don't like using them in a climber stand as I can't bendy ankle easily when going down in the stand. I use them though if I am hunting any wet areas because I've literally been in water right up the the brim of the boot and would have been screwed if I was wearing anything else. I also think they are warmer than my Lester boots so I use them if I will be going to a ladder or hang on stand.

I use the leather boots if I am will be covering a lot of ground and on my feet. Try to not use them in deep snow.

I find myself sung leather more in early bow and my mucks in the later season unless using a climber.

I use Merrell hiking boots for early bow season. 

Wolverine Hiking boots for most of the season unless it is below 40.

Rock Timber wolf 800 gram insulate below  40

Rocky Snow stalkers in deep snow or extreme cold...

I need support in my boots so rubber has never been an option for me.  Bad ankles.  Comfort and stability are more important to me as sometimes I get silly and like to hike a few miles and explore new area.  I tend to stay out of wet areas or find a way around or through.  (Seeing a friend stuck up to his chest in mud will have that effect!  Happened to me once up to my waist, lucky I was in waders!)  The snow stalkers are not really for hiking but in deep snow they keep me warm and I don't usually go that far in those conditions.  Unless I find a good track...  If I get cold I move, so I try to use the best boots for the day.

I have a pair of Itasca camo rubber boots with 400 gr of Thinsolate . My feet freeze in those things but they are comfortable in warmer weather . They are starting to crack .

I also have a pair of waterproof ,  insulated Rocky boots that ARE NOT WATERPROOF !

My wife bought me a pair of LaCrosse hunting boots at Galyans in Henrietta several years ago . They are insulated and have a thick Thinsolate liner . I call them my "Herman Munster" boots as they are thick and clumsy but they are warm . They are the warmest boots I have . I have walked through 6" of water and they have been fine ( knock on wood ) . 

My SIL has Muck Boots that she wears in the winter taking care of her horses . She says they are quite warm but starting to leak but then she has had them for years . 

Anyway , Tractor Supply has some Muck Boots on sale now for $70 that are regularly $100 . 5 mm of Neoprene for comfort and warmth and a mesh lining to reduce moisture . On sale Nov 27 - Dec 1 .

My feet freeze. Always have. There are two boots that have kept them warm.

1) Mickey Mouse Boots

2) Sorel Glaciers

Are they heavy?  - Yep

Are they bulky?   - Yep

BUT, they've both kept my feet totally warm.  If you don't have that issue then you're

boot world is much more open. If you have trouble feet like I do, go with the Glaciers and get a spare set of liners and inserts. 

Edit: And I LOVE to still hunt any time I can and conditions permit.

Edited by SteveC

Walking is a lot different than sitting in a stand, obviously.

If cold feet are an issue, this is what I do.

Boots with 1000 gr thinsalate.

Antiperspirant on feet. If your feet get a little sweaty walking to your stand, cold feet is the result. 

Boots should fit pretty loose to let air circulate. wear a wicker sock, and a medium weight wool sock. 

Add a grabbers toe warmer in there.

Mine are Irish Setters, had them for 15 years.

Muck for me. They keep me warm and are lightweight for walking. They are a little bulky for still hunting, but I can keep nice and quiet with minimal effort. While sitting I have no problems keeping my feet warm in them with wool socks.

• Like 1

I picked up a pair of the Lacrosse Aeroheads this year and so far I'm really happy with them. Warm, comfortable, and good support. I'll put some serious miles on these post season shed hunting. I'm hopefull the extra thick rubber boot part around the ankle and shins will withstand the punishment I dish out to them under some pretty extreme winter conditions. The neopreme uppers I really like so far as well.

post-233-0-88507400-1385663595_thumb.jpg