staying warm

chrispunx

I found dressing so warm for the cold weather makes me sweat on my 2 mile hike in.  Still looking for a solution for that.

I also have had this prob so I picked up a backpack to bring extra layer's when on stand.I find/found myself dressing with to many layers and sweating on the way in so now I wear much less and have the extra's to put on when settled down in my stand.In my pack I have extra sweatshirts a blanket and a pair of slippers for comfort.Yes slippers 

I found dressing so warm for the cold weather makes me sweat on my 2 mile hike in. Still looking for a solution for that.

Dress at stand. I often carry my coat in , an open up zipper on mid layer,and wear just a ball cap instead of warm hat on walks.

I've sat at 7 and 9 degrees this year for 4 hours warm as an English Muffin. UA base layer, UA heavy sweat shirt type thing,my Camo coat. On the bottom,UA infrared and a a set of bibs.

Liner sock and a heavier sock,unknown gloves,knit hat.

Wooly I hunted many years in my Carhartts, and hoodies! I always said look what outdoor workers wear,although they tend to be active while we sit. On the FD you won't see more then a UA top the it's all cotton and cheaper stronger cloths,welding mask liners are popular for head gear as well.

• Like 1

I found dressing so warm for the cold weather makes me sweat on my 2 mile hike in.  Still looking for a solution for that.

Have a long walk as well, and my solution to that is as follows....I wear the bare minimum on the walk, my pants, a t shirt and flannel. Even with that I still sweat a lot.

The remainder of my clothes ( dry t-shirt, underwear, thermals, turtle neck, socks, fleece vest) are put in my pack, (my hunting jacket is strapped to my pack) when I get to my spot, I strip down and change my underwear and socks, I put my jacket on the ground to stand on ( I also wear a lite pair of socks for the walk). I try to let the cold air dry me a bit before re-dressing, especially my feet which always get cold, it does not matter if the temp is 40 degrees I  always suffer from cold feet for some odd reason.

I feel like a million when I put on all the dry layers I have brought, and I also don't lace up my boots too tight because it helps w/ circulation.

Hope this gives guys additional tips on dressing layering and staying warm.

Most important thing is I always keep my flashlight on while I'm dressing/undressing because it's usually dark/dusk and want to be safe !

Seldom can you be allways "toasty". Just sitting still for extended times slows circulation, metabolism, etc, and you are bound to get some chills, and it is learning not to mind, but...

first rule...eliminate all cotton: just like a towel, it holds moisture, and will chill you. Merino wool is fantastic, and even many folks "allergic" to wool can wear it. I base layer with a synthetic (usually polyester base) winter weight long under wear, then have a wind proof heavier fleece layer over it. Usually covered with wool bibs, which keep out the draft from in back. I prefer my wool parka over it. The best winter boots I have found are a rubber insulated boot, mine are the 2000 g. boots as Irecall.

waterproof, tall enough to keep snow out of them, and I put toe or foot warmers inside. I like an insulated wool cap, and wear a head/ neck gator. I fully believe the majority of your heat goes out your head and neck, and the addition of a muffler/ gator does wonders. Gloves make for better gun mobility, but colder hands. for quite a number of years I have preferred the mittens with fingers inside, with disposable hand warmers. Just this year I picked up a hand muff, and I love it. I keep another bigger handwarmer in it, and alternate hands within, so I allways have one hand on the gun.

I love disposable hand warmers, and sometimes put them inside my coverall pockets and down my arm sleeves. As well, make sure to eat a good carbohydrate filled breakfast for fueling the body, avoid smoking and caffeine, both of which are vasoconstrictors and contribute to cold hands and feet. As was mentioned elsewhere, if walking in any distance ,go slow enough not to sweat or carry a pack with your heavier layers to put on upon arrival at your stand, and carry a foam seat to sit on that will be dry. No matter what, I hunt northern NY, and there are days that you just have to deal with it.

That's why I like my HBS. I wear just enough clothes to keep me warm but not sweating for the walk into my stand. Once in my stand I get into my Heater Body Suit and I'm warm all day. It rolls up and straps to your back for the walk in. Another nice thing is not having a ton of bulky clothes on when you go to draw your bow. I've used mine for 3 years now and haven't found a reason to get rid of it!

The only thing I didn't like about the HBS was if you didn't see them coming from a ways out then it was just another thing to add to the list to get ready to shoot the deer.When I did use mine I never got cold,they just plain work.I bought a pair of Cabelas STand hunter extreme coveralls on closeout and they are the closest thing I have seen to the HBS

I wear two layers down to about 15 degrees, under armour base layer and Cabelas "wooltimate" pants and jacket. Below 15, I add a layer of 100% polyester fleece. For my feet, it's wool socks and Muck boots. A fleece balaclava is what I wear on my head.

I have never needed more than this.

Under Armor, Polypropylene, fleece, base layered.  Parker, pants and full insulated Gore-Tex suit with removable hood, neck warmer, balaclava, extra sweat suit and fleece pull over in back pack.  Colder it is the more layers I put on.  Glove liners and good gloves.  Good sock liners and socks with proper boots for season, temperature and type of hunt.  Hand and toe warmers work but I don't use them much.  New suits or bibs with layered jackets are pretty good but expensive.  I try to hike a slow pace to keep from overheating, I unzip and keep head and neck exposed.  I use hunter cleaning wipes to clean my feet and expose them to the cold air before applying deodorant to keep them dry, this allows me to start off with cold feet and prevent sweating temporarily.

This is going to be long. First it depends on your age and medical condition.Tight fitting polyester as a base layer stinks.Polyproplyne is better a open weave or fish net is the best it lets the moister escape from the body.M,wool as a second layer is good. Again your health condition. On top of that heavy wool might work or a wind break liner with insulation in side of a quiet shell. I still like wool its quiet and is warm when wet.After that Preditor Falf Grey again with a wind break liner.I do not like fleece I think it is a trade off. material.Now at or below 0 degrees, the warmest is made by Wiggys.  it's  like being inside of a down sleeping bag.I am 70 + years old and have tried every type and brand of clothing and boots out there.And have blown away a lot of money doing so.

After many years of wearing Columbia wool, various random undergarments (scent lock baseslayers, sweats, union suits, bulky crap, etc), heavy gloves and mittens, I decided it was time to change. This season I went with the following:

- A very tight fitting poly compression top and bottom (from Predator Camo)

- A Minus33 expedition weight merino wool top and bottom 

- 380 gram heavyweight fleece (also from Predator)

- Very light weight fleece gloves

- Hard warmer muff (one of the best purchases ever!)

- Fleece/wool beanie or a thermal UA cap

- Fleece neck gaiter. 

That setup has kept me more than warm all season, too warm some times. Its very light and compact as well, so your not bulked up or too heavy.The only time I had an issue was when it was in the teens and 20+ mph winds. I added a layer of fleece thermals at that point and was good. Had to do that maybe 2 or 3 days this season. 

Walking in I will pack everything but the poly compression to stay dry. The hike in is about .5 to 2 miles and 500 to 2k feet in elevation depending on where you decide to sit. Sweating is not really avoidable in this case, so you want to have the least possible on for the walk. You freeze when you get out of the truck, but the first section is really steep so you warm right up. Then you dress when you get there. 

Feet for me are always an issue, since I was 13 and 14 going up with the old man to this day my feet are always an issue. Literally when I take the boots off an touch my feet they are freezing to the touch. I have tried different boots and socks without much luck. If the boots are too heavy my feet are killing me after the walk and I end up with cold feet anyway.  

So now I use a pair of light weight Danner boots (200 gr thinsulate), and merino wool socks. Seems to have worked OK this year, but still cold. I have started to try and work the toe heaters into the mix but it is tough because I find them uncomfortable. I also have a pair of 1000gr rubber boats that I only wear in the swamps because they are so bulky and heavy. Stupid toes and feet. 

Top: (3 layers) Merino Wool base layer against skin, then either under armor mid weight shirt, or a poly-fleece mid weight, then a poly-fleece quarter zip, or a generic sweatshirt.

Bottom: (2 layers) usually just Under armor bottoms, fleece style sweat pants, and a nice heavy socks.  I used to wear jeans, but the sweat pants are lighter and actually takes less effort to walk.  I have a pair of insulated pants, but I feel like the michelin man wearing them.

Outer: lately I have been wearing a full body "snow" suit as my outer layer with a neck-gator(worth its weight in gold) and a beanie hat(two if its super cold...yes it helps)

heavy mittens with zipper pockets for warmers, and almost knee high 1200g rubber boots.

I mix it up some, but thats usually my standard as far as under layers go......I don't care who you are, or what you wear, sitting still in the cold weather for a few hours, you ARE going to start getting cold, we just try to slow the process. :biggrin:

Lots of good information herein.  You guys have it nailed and there are many ways to skin this cat..........

One thing I didn't see mentioned that can really help on those cold & windy days are a good pair of gaiters:

http://www.kenetrek.com/gaiters.asp

My gaiters are from Cabela's but I think are discontinued.

I wear a lot of Patagonia, Minus 33, Ulfrotte (Smartwool) and of course my King Of The Mountain wool. 

About 5 years ago I bought a coat from Cabela's after a horrible stretch of cold, rainy and windy days during NY & PA gun seasons.  I think the called it the Whitetail Hunters jacket, made of their (waterproof) MTO50 fabric and insulated with some good stuff.  It has zippered pockets EVERYWHERE, inside & out!!  A hood and covered zipper have come in handy also.  I now rarely need a rain coat and it is extremely warm in the coldest weather.  The zippered pockets keep all my stuff secure if I'm carrying the coat in my hand or it is strapped to my climber for the hike in or out.  It's a bit noisy but I can deal with that as it is only worn during gun season.

Well, there is the trick when the days get super cold. Usually I sit for a bunch of hours and then start still hunting. Well, that's two entirely different temperature situations. If I dress warm enough to sit, I will be over-dressed for still-hunting no matter how slow I go. My solution: take a pack and remove some of the layers for walking.

That applies for walking in too. I have an ugly steep hill to climb to get to my stands. Dress wrong and you'll be completely sweated up when you sit down for the stand. Solution: put your heaviest layers in your pack, unbutton everything and get re-dressed when you get to your stand.