Primitive ML Season Next Year............

Lawdwaz

I'm going to start a rumor.........."Next year, 2014 NYS will have a new  muzzleloader season that opens the day after Christmas and runs for two weeks.  It is limited to percussion and flintlock rifles or handguns, loaded with black powder and sabot-less bullets or patched round balls.  No optical sights will be allowed. Tags for the current license year will be valid.  A $15.00 ML Conservation Stamp will be required"

This hunt is to promote the use of and keep alive the long standing tradition of these type of firearms. They have played an important  part of our state and countries history and deserve their own season.

OK guys & gals, tweak it as you will. :whistle:

(needless to say, DON'T even mention my beloved in-line rifles for this season)

• Like 1

It will never happen.  Originally, both bow and muzzle loader seasons were to be for primitive weapons.  But the modern day "tweekers" couldn't let things be....They just had to improve on things.  Chances are, you would find it tough to find field-ready muzzle loaders that are, in fact, primitive, or "like the old days" type firearms.  Of course, the tweekers would whine to high heaven if such was put into place.

Side question:  If such a season came about....would the use of trail cams...food plots...modern tree stands, blinds, etc. still be allowed??   Sorry, but NY hunters have gone WAY BEYOND anything primitive!

I miss the days of the primitive season even if I was in a tree to hunt.  I sure would like it again, but the reason it went away was all about money. when inlines scopes and any projectiles were added more people get involved and spend more money on privileges.  Plus the bow guys will complain.  I know you did not start this to have everyone rain on  your parade.  but the days of old ways is gone.  At that time of year the older guys who would like to do this again would not bother due to the weather involved at that time.  If I were to tweak it, I would include it with the current privileges and if you have  a tag left have at it.  Plus getting real black powder is a chore also, at least in my neck of the woods.  I would allow substitutes that were loose, no pellets. Here in the north, we have two ml seasons an early one the week before regular season and the week after.  I drag out the 54  renegade with 90 of ffg goex patched round balls for those two weeks.  I keep my inline for regular season

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

I'm going to start a rumor.........."Next year, 2014 NYS will have a new  muzzleloader season that opens the day after Christmas and runs for two weeks.  It is limited to percussion and flintlock rifles or handguns, loaded with black powder and sabot-less bullets or patched round balls.  No optical sights will be allowed. Tags for the current license year will be valid.  A $15.00 ML Conservation Stamp will be required"

This hunt is to promote the use of and keep alive the long standing tradition of these type of firearms. They have played an important  part of our state and countries history and deserve their own season.

OK guys & gals, tweak it as you will. :whistle:

(needless to say, DON'T even mention my beloved in-line rifles for this season)

Count me in.

I would need another rifle, always a good thing :good:

• Like 1

You gonna ask Melvin to build a flinty NULA for you. LOL

If he would............grin

BUT, I still have my old T/C Hawken 50cal flintlock.  I don't think I've shot it in 10 years now and I'm starting miss it a bit. My powder is getting old and my patches could use a little spit.........my round balls (gigidy) still have their flat spots.........my ball starter and all the other accouterments are sitting quietly in my man purse in the basement, ready to rock.

Back in the mid 80's through the late 90's I would hunt the late flintlock season in PA and had a blast.  Killed a few and had some miss fires.  Never missed................NOT.

I know this is a stretch but thought maybe we could have fun with it and the "ever lurking" folks at the DEC might catch wind and have something else to talk about at this winters meetings?!?!

I've been participating in the post Christmas Flintlock season in PA for 36 years. If I could choose but one season to hunt, it would be the flintlock season.In the past two decades the season has become tainted. The SRA areas, shotgun bow ML only, had a post Christmas Antlerless season coinciding with the Flintlock season. Then when WMUs came in to affect antlerless tags were no longer allocated and issued on a County basis but by WMUs which comprised parts of several counties. So the SRAs became a special weapon area based on County lines and had little if no impact on the antlerless kill. Soon portions of 5C and 2B that were open to rifles had a month long doe season after Christmas while the Flinters and archers had 2 weeks. The pre season deer density in 5C went from 72 deer per square mile to about 17. This year things have changed. The extended antlerless season is now back to the SRA Counties only. As far as NY goes I could see a real granular blackpowder  sidelock iron sights only season enabling hunters with unfilled tags to fill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6j5hiOeahs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHGWDgIshk

Edited by DanceswithSkunks

If he would............grin

BUT, I still have my old T/C Hawken 50cal flintlock.  I don't think I've shot it in 10 years now and I'm starting miss it a bit. My powder is getting old and my patches could use a little spit.........my round balls (gigidy) still have their flat spots.........my ball starter and all the other accouterments are sitting quietly in my man purse in the basement, ready to rock.

Back in the mid 80's through the late 90's I would hunt the late flintlock season in PA and had a blast.  Killed a few and had some miss fires.  Never missed................NOT.

I know this is a stretch but thought maybe we could have fun with it and the "ever lurking" folks at the DEC might catch wind and have something else to talk about at this winters meetings?!?!

Two best deer I have taken were with a homebuilt cap-lock I assembled from parts ordered here and there over time.

Sold that gun and its one of two I regret parting with out of a bunch that have come and gone.

I still have parts for a one or two more; just need to find some time to get another back together.

Have some sweet tiger maple stocks for a flintlock long rifle sitting around and most of the parts, need to order a barrel.

Hope your idea catches on. :bye:

• Like 1

Come February I'll be building another flintlock if I can find a barrel. Getz is out of business more or less. Green Mountain sells some but I'm looking for a barrel with a 1 in 32" twist 1 inch flats. Hard to find unless I spend a few weeks on the phone. Lyman makes the Great Plains Hunter with the faster twist but the quality has taken a downturn as of late. I may buy a Lyman GPH in kit and brown all the metal and steel and spend a month finishing the stock. Raising the grain is time consuming if you want it done proper. Still looking for a T/C Renegade 58 bore Flintlock. I found some Renegade precussions in 56 smooth bore.

I hunt the after Christmas season in PA with my bow and I really enjoy it.  It's pretty darn cold but if you can find a good food source it seems a little easier to pattern the deer.  I also like that the deer have been left alone for a couple of weeks and are once again relaxed. 

I shot my first deer with a bow in the PA late season.  This upcoming January 6th it will be 19 years ago that I shot that first deer and I can still remember that day as if it was yesterday. 

I can't wait for Dec 26 to go out archery hunting!  I save my doe tag every year for the after Christmas season.

fine with me i hunt primitive anyway.. id rather see our seasons split up by at least a week maybe 2 of no hunting between bow and gun and muzzleloader.shorten bow and regular season to make it happen..seems like no one hunts after first 2 weekends anyway

It will never happen. Originally, both bow and muzzle loader seasons were to be for primitive weapons. But the modern day "tweekers" couldn't let things be....They just had to improve on things. Chances are, you would find it tough to find field-ready muzzle loaders that are, in fact, primitive, or "like the old days" type firearms. Of course, the tweekers would whine to high heaven if such was put into place.

Side question: If such a season came about....would the use of trail cams...food plots...modern tree stands, blinds, etc. still be allowed?? Sorry, but NY hunters have gone WAY BEYOND anything primitive!

I'd like to tweak this a little by allowing a special season only for the use of 60 year old fishing hooks to hook your game. Obviously, baiting will need to be legalized as well.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I'd like to tweak this a little by allowing a special season only for the use of 60 year old fishing hooks to hook your game. Obviously, baiting will need to be legalized as well.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That'd be great shawn.  Start your own thread for it.

I'd be happy to cast a vote in favor of it.  :suicide: