Quaker Creek - Shared Deer Meat

heavuser

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

I only use a butcher than has the ability to hang and age before butchering...    I always chuckle when people say "it was great i had my deer back in 24 hours"...    There is getting the meat off of the bone and wrapping and then there is real butchering...  There is a very big difference between the 2...  

Butchered hundreds of deer. I've tried aging with skin on, off, and everything in between. 

IMO, there is zero difference in taste or tenderness aging venison or processing once it's cooled off for a day.  No need to treat it like beef. 

51 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It amazes me that there are hunters out there who have hunted for years and never butchered a deer themselves.  From the sounds of it some wouldn't even know where to start.  The only way you will ever know if the deer you are eating is the one that you put down is if you butcher it yourself.  The drop off deer processors can claim that you are getting back your own deer all they want.  One really has no way of proving if they are telling the truth or not.

I've never processed my own deer. Nowhere to do it,no tools,grinder etc.  I'm fine with paying $80 to get it done. and hoping i get my deer back too. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It amazes me that there are hunters out there who have hunted for years and never butchered a deer themselves.  From the sounds of it some wouldn't even know where to start.  The only way you will ever know if the deer you are eating is the one that you put down is if you butcher it yourself.  The drop off deer processors can claim that you are getting back your own deer all they want.  One really has no way of proving if they are telling the truth or not.

What was said on this thread that gave you this impression "From the sounds of it some wouldn't even know where to start."?

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've never processed my own deer. Nowhere to do it,no tools,grinder etc.  I'm fine with paying $80 to get it done. and hoping i get my deer back too. 

$80... That's cheap. Both places near me are $110. 

Is that how it works or do they finish it on site and then leave?

Doubt the truck would come, pick up, butcher, hang, wrap and return...who would begin think that an option....oh wait...Marion!
I bet most would be happy with skinned, de-boned,portioned into "to be ground" vs steak cuts. And I bet down here people would pay north of $200 for that service even if the truck was set up at a rest stop with convenience to the "city"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Doubt the truck would come, pick up, butcher, hang, wrap and return...who would begin think that an option....oh wait...Marion!
I bet most would be happy with skinned, de-boned,portioned into "to be ground" vs steak cuts. And I bet down here people would pay north of $200 for that service even if the truck was set up at a rest stop with convenience to the "city"

no doubt and cash only

Edited by BizCT

48 minutes ago, mowin said:

Butchered hundreds of deer. I've tried aging with skin on, off, and everything in between. 

IMO, there is zero difference in taste or tenderness aging venison or processing once it's cooled off for a day.  No need to treat it like beef. 

Do your wife, girlfriend or kids like it too ?

Edited by wolc123

Saw an interesting cut on meateater the other day. A chef on there basically filleted the meat off the outside of ribs and then rolled it up with jalapenos, onions a little bacon with a mustard rub and cooked it in a Dutch oven. Might have to try it.

I usually cut up my own but there are times I take it in when time is an issue.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Not true if you look into the processor enough. I usually do my own but the one I take some to def is your deer. It's a year round shop but is mostly venison during deer season.

They have a system that one deer only comes into the process area. Your invoice and number never leave the deer. Once skinned, butchered and packaged it goes into the blast freezer in a box with the invoice you signed. Area is then cleaned before the next one comes in. And the number changes.

They do tell you that if you get hotdogs or a specialty sausage it will be a mix of others deer.

On invoice they even note certain things about your deer. One year my muzzleloader bullet was in a bag taped to the box. And said " found in left shoulder, lost some meat there due to damage,".

But if you take it to just any old place I would agree. And most places no matter how good, I am always less satisfied than when I do it myself.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Saw an interesting cut on meateater the other day. A chef on there basically filleted the meat off the outside of ribs and then rolled it up with jalapenos, onions a little bacon with a mustard rub and cooked it in a Dutch oven. Might have to try it.

I usually cut up my own but there are times I take it in when time is an issue.

I saw that as well...I always wonder about the diaphragm meat...looks like it would make good jerky

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I would love to do it myself . I don't have the room to set up an area to do it though . I've seen plenty of pictures on this site of people who cut their deer meat in to chunks or grind, that does not make someone a butcher . 

• Like 3

Rob and I use the same place and I know my deer is what I get. I've actually watched there process numerous times. I've seen other shops that scare me. But if you've eaten in any restaurant you have eaten worse lol. Ask some of the restaurant guys on here!!

I have butchered a bunch of them and honestly I would rather be hunting. My time is worth more than what the butcher costs...If I had a perfect setup it may be different. I have also not noticed much difference at all in aged venison, it does not age like beef. It certainly does not hurt it but in mho does not do much and wastes meat if done right.

I make lots of jerky, sausages and can. I do not make hotdogs though, that's what Costanza's is for!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mowin said:

i used to age mine at a friend's place but now that I do them at my house I can't unless the temps are perfect. I have not found a difference in the meat to my surprise...I think freezing actually helps with that.

• Like 1

It really doesn't take much. I hang my deer in a tree in my backyard. Lop off the quarters and straps and debone and portion on a cutting board in the kitchen. I do have an old fridge dedicated to hang meat if I want to age and the temp is not cooperating.
I enjoy doing it and am pretty picky so it's worth it for me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve863 said:

I get what you’re saying ,  but I hang out and visit with my processor I consider him a friend  and have seen countless deer processed there . One guy per hanging deer, meat goes on the table next to it and is wrapped up labeled and bagged by that same one guy , no assembly line type stuff . It’s like a group of hunters all cutting up their own deer at separate stations , in the same large room . 

Call me when it’s ready I’ll be smoking a cigar in the hot tub texting my hunting buddies .

if someone is unsure , just hang out drink a beer and visit for an hour or two , you’ll see what’s what . Visiting there is one of my highlights of the season 

Edited by Nomad

It really doesn't take much. I hang my deer in a tree in my backyard. Lop off the quarters and straps and debone and portion on a cutting board in the kitchen. I do have an old fridge dedicated to hang meat if I want to age and the temp is not cooperating.

That’s why I want to hire you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had mixed results from processors.  It’s been more than 20 years, since I used one around home in wny.  I am fairly certain that I did not get my own deer back the last time I did.  It was a thin, rutted-out, 2.5 year old 10-pointer.  The box of boneless meat that they gave me back seemed like it weighed almost as much as the buck weighed field-dressed.

It think maybe they just lumped all the meat together from the deer that they took in that day (Sunday after opening day of gun season), and divided it up based on antler points.  Maybe during slow periods like early archery you get your own back, but certainly not when they get slammed.

The opposite happened last year, with an old doe that I killed up in the Adirondacks during early ML season.  That one was considerably larger than the previous doe that I had processed up there, but I got significantly less meat back from it.  

The problem is, the processor that gave me more meat back was about an hour’s drive, while the closer one is only 15 minutes away.   Since I already have enough venison in the freezer to last a year, I suppose I will use the close one again this year.  

I don’t butcher my own up there for multiple reasons:  First, I do not have a good place to do it.  My father in law gets mad if I miss a drop of blood while cleaning up after filleting a few fish out on his boat dock.  

Second, it’s usually too warm during early ML week to deal with a carcass and age it properly.  Third, the last buck that I hauled home to wny from up there to process (when it was cold over Thanksgiving weekend) had so many ticks on it, that I swore I’d never bring another field-dressed deer back from there. 

Typically do my own but In past years I've taken it to my dad's uncle/cousin in caledonia,ny.not sure if they are still doing it or not,been 3 years sence I've brought one.have a processor 1 mile down the rd which I got ahold of the other day,seems reputable by what I've read and starts at $75.always ALOT of deer there every year so may need him in a pinch,never know

You should try kroll in Cornwall sometime it was life changing for me and I’m better and faster at butchering than most

• Like 2