Skiing...

josephmrtn

So I'm going skiing Monday... my first time :) any tips? I'm going with a big group to holiday valley in southern ny (elliotsville?) Also who else here likes to ski/snowboard? Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I'm no skier......did it once; fell and lost my new glasses.  A pile of people came to my rescue, one found my specs but stepped on them.......junked.

Ellicottville NY................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellicottville,_New_York

Snowshoes are my mode of travel if I'm getting cabin fever...........

" They called him SUPER SKIER" as he sat around the sundeck,

For he swore that he would never take a spill...

But when they finally brought him down they had to use 3 toboggans,

To carry all the PIECES off the hill..."

Good luck, Joe...Hehehehehehe....

I've only skied twice both times were At holiday valley it's a nice place my first time I was 20 and loved it I didn't have any fear of it then next time I was 25 and was terrified lol. My next door neighbor is one of the rescue skiers at the resort. If you decide you don't like skiing there's state land 5 minutes up the road from there

Holiday Valley is as good as it gets in the Northeast.

Variety of trails and great lodges.

Bring plenty of money if you plan on eating or drinking at the lodges...of course they drive the price way up. 

You can also pack a cooler and leave it in the car or stash it in a lodge near the dining areas. Helps the pocket book a little when you brown bag a lunch.  

If you get your ski legs under you quick enough there is a run that takes you right to Burger King!  Deff. save a few bucks eating off the dollar menu. 

Enjoy the Day, imo there is no other better winter activity!!

• Like 1

My advise is to spend the money and pay for some lessons. I haven't skied in a couple years but i always used to take a refresher course in the beginning even though i used to tear up those double diamonds. I have skied PA, VT and CA and i find that the northeast is a harder place to learn to skii. Take it easy when your there...your going for fun, not to kill your self. Your going to fall a lot so learn to laugh at it(because everyone else will). Good luck out there and be safe. 

• Like 1

Buy a 12 pack of beer. It's a boring ride up to the top. Oh and the signs that have the blacks diamonds are the easy one...????

lmao you think im that stupid! i did my research!

I'm no skier......did it once; fell and lost my new glasses.  A pile of people came to my rescue, one found my specs but stepped on them.......junked.

Ellicottville NY................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellicottville,_New_York

Snowshoes are my mode of travel if I'm getting cabin fever...........

thats why i wear contacts!

They aren't canceling the trip do to the blast of cold?...skin exposure in the temps predicted will have frost bite in 5 min...terrible wind chills predicted ...be careful if you go... and have fun...tinted eye goggles...

yup and plenty of polypro and wool + handwarmers

" They called him SUPER SKIER" as he sat around the sundeck,

For he swore that he would never take a spill...

But when they finally brought him down they had to use 3 toboggans,

To carry all the PIECES off the hill..."

Good luck, Joe...Hehehehehehe....

lol lol

Holiday Valley is as good as it gets in the Northeast.

Variety of trails and great lodges.

Bring plenty of money if you plan on eating or drinking at the lodges...of course they drive the price way up. 

You can also pack a cooler and leave it in the car or stash it in a lodge near the dining areas. Helps the pocket book a little when you brown bag a lunch.  

If you get your ski legs under you quick enough there is a run that takes you right to Burger King!  Deff. save a few bucks eating off the dollar menu. 

Enjoy the Day, imo there is no other better winter activity!!

prob what well do... were meeting at burger king for breakfast w a group thats coming up from ohio and a smaller group coming from pa... then lunch we eat whenever were hungry but we all meet again for supper... last yr they said supper was 30 pizzas :)

Take it slow. Nothing to be ashamed of taking lessons and starting on the bunny hill.

Also, if you like skiing, once you move over to snowboarding you'll never go back to skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen! lol i told mom she dont have to worry about me hurting myself until i get good lol... we have some very good skiers going along (the type of guys that can take "The Wall" at 75 mph no prob :) so they should be able to show me how its done also after the instructor is done lol...

If I was going to do anything on skis, it would be cross-country skiing. I often wondered what it would be like moving through the woods with a rifle, not making a single sound as I went. What an interesting hunt that would be. Probably a bit beyond my physical ability now.

I have skied for to 30 years. It is one of those sports that the better you get the more fun you can have... the most important thing I told my kid when she started, was how to fall.. If you get going out of control sit down on your side ,Not on your backside!.

Contrary to what your mind tells you, reach down the hill.Stay balanced. A person has the tendency to lean back when they get nervous. This makes it difficult to turn

and causes you to pick up speed  and more times than not leads to a yard sale...lol..Most importantly have fun , it doesn't hurt much when you fall..Even though, I find that I hit the ground a lot harder now than I did..lol

good luck Joe and have fun. I took up skiing when the kids were younger, it only took a couple of tries and I got it. Being a skater helps, it is similar motion. The newer shaped skis make turning much easier. My wife and I ski every Tuesday night at Holiday Valley it is a great resort and only 1 hr. door to door. Check out Cadillac Jacks after you are done, always a good time.

good luck Joe and have fun. I took up skiing when the kids were younger, it only took a couple of tries and I got it. Being a skater helps, it is similar motion. The newer shaped skis make turning much easier. My wife and I ski every Tuesday night at Holiday Valley it is a great resort and only 1 hr. door to door. Check out Cadillac Jacks after you are done, always a good time.

I hope Cadillac Jack's sells hot cocoa........................................ B)

I don't know, Joe......The weather sure sounds nasty.  I hope the powers-to-be make the right call.

Check this bulletin out......................................(HOT off the wire!!)

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY344 PM EST SUN JAN 5 2014NYZ010-011-060445-/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0001.140106T1600Z-140108T1100Z//O.CON.KBUF.WC.W.0003.140106T2300Z-140107T2300Z/NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BUFFALO...BATAVIA344 PM EST SUN JAN 5 2014...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM MONDAYTO 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM MONDAY TO 6 PMEST TUESDAY...* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ERIE AND GENESEE COUNTIES.* TIMING...LATE MONDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING  FOR THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING. EARLY MONDAY EVENING THROUGH  TUESDAY EVENING FOR THE WIND CHILL WARNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES MONDAY...6 TO 12 INCHES MONDAY  NIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES TUESDAY...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES TUESDAY  NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE  MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 30 BELOW AT TIMES.
Edited by Lawdwaz