Injured 8 point

Fletch

Had to do this through my phone so I could post pics!

Pulled my cam out of the deep hole stand this past weekend.

Had this guy come by 3 days in a row.

He has a pretty bad injury to his leg. I am leaning toward a car accident due to I thing a gunshot would of removed some muscle and left a hole or tear. Thoughts?

He also dropped his antlers overnight. Wonder how far away they are? I am not a good antler searcher!

post-481-13898168591124_thumb.jpgpost-481-13898168739649_thumb.jpgpost-481-13898168849463_thumb.jpgpost-481-1389816897692_thumb.jpgpost-481-13898169229552_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a pretty bad injury. I think he'd be better off with that thing amputated.

I once published a story in Deer and Deer Hunting about a doe missing pretty much the same portion and I chronicled her survival. She got along just fine and would cross her bad leg over the good one when walking in deep snow to reduce drag (which he can't).

hypothetical question here guys, say your predator hunting/small game...assuming this is private land which i'm sure it is. Do you put this deer out of its misery if you see and can make a clean ethical kill? obliviously this is illegal but this animal is clearly suffering and will likely cecum to coyotes or natural death. just curious?

hypothetical question here guys, say your predator hunting/small game...assuming this is private land which i'm sure it is. Do you put this deer out of its misery if you see and can make a clean ethical kill? obliviously this is illegal but this animal is clearly suffering and will likely cecum to coyotes or natural death. just cu

If he was on my farm he would be found and put down but then again if he was here he wouldnt be here because the yotes would have had him already!

hypothetical question here guys, say your predator hunting/small game...assuming this is private land which i'm sure it is. Do you put this deer out of its misery if you see and can make a clean ethical kill? obliviously this is illegal but this animal is clearly suffering and will likely cecum to coyotes or natural death. just curious?

I believe this has come up before on this site.

All I could say on that is, I would do the right thing. There are a lot of variables in your simple question.

Would you be willing to take the consequences? They might be severe. (for someone that enjoys hunting as much as I do)

I truly doubt that this guy will survive the very next encounter with coyotes. And this is one time that I am glad that there are coyotes to take care of something that needs to be done but is illegal for us to take care of.

I'd bet your local DEC officer would give you the go ahead to take him out.

We had a cow blow her Achilles one time. As soon as o saw his lower leg parallel to the ground I knew that was what this was, then I blew the pictures up on my phone and saw the wound. There's no guarantee he'll die from it but life sure won't be easy.

• Like 1

Oh man that looks bad. I am sure this is a stupid question, if anyone came across this deer or another with a wound like that and it is infected are we able to legally allowed to put them down?

I am sure your going to find the rack.

No.

Its a bad injury, but if you caught it, late last season, I posted pics of a buck I named The Gimp. He had been hit by a car in 2012, and his whole right hip and leg was shattered. He got around the fields and swamp pretty well for a year before the farm manager shot him. They can live with 3 legs. Heres a link to the pics I posted of that other buck...

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/20453-the-gimp/

If it was obvious that the deer was truly suffering like this one appears to be I would put it down...I think it's the humane thing to do!  Just the thought of what that deer is going through and how much suffering he will do as he gets closer to death from infection or a weakening body from not being able to cope with the elements as he weakens.  But I would have to make a judgement call after actually physically seeing him and his condition rather than just from a picture...although the pic does look preety bad! 

Good luck finding the sheds ... I would imagine that they wouldn't be too far and I'd be looking for them while carrying a shotgun..."rabbit hunting"

I' 've seen several deer over the years that had either a back or front leg damaged....when there are cold temps there is usually less chance of infection...it's the smell of it that brings in tbe yotes...otherwise if he is up moving eating and drinking he has a good . chance of survival....the dead portion will eventually drop away....be interesting to see him later...We had doe in this area with 3 legs raise twins and triplets for years...good mom's too

This looks to me like a crippling wound that is not lethal by itself. There is a huge tendon that has been completely severed and it will keep him from ever getting control of that lower part of his leg. It will be hanging on there like an anchor and without the bone being broken or the joint being separated, I really doubt that it will ever come off. There is enough material left there to keep it on indefinitely. I sincerely doubt that he can run in that condition to escape predators (dogs, coyotes) It's hard to say exactly what will happen to him even if he does somehow stay out of the way of predators. It's a real sad way for a deer, or any animal, to have to live out what's left of their life. I imagine that he is using up a whole lot more energy moving around than he is supposed to be, and the result of that may show up as the winter drags on. 

I am almost positive that it is a gunshot wound. I can't imagine how an car could have done that. When you consider how far away from the heart/lung area that hit is, it's just another reminder of what can be left behind with careless shot selection.

This looks to me like a crippling wound that is not lethal by itself. There is a huge tendon that has been completely severed and it will keep him from ever getting control of that lower part of his leg. It will be hanging on there like an anchor and without the bone being broken or the joint being separated, I really doubt that it will ever come off. There is enough material left there to keep it on indefinitely. I sincerely doubt that he can run in that condition to escape predators (dogs, coyotes) It's hard to say exactly what will happen to him even if he does somehow stay out of the way of predators. It's a real sad way for a deer, or any animal, to have to live out what's left of their life. I imagine that he is using up a whole lot more energy moving around than he is supposed to be, and the result of that may show up as the winter drags on. 

I am almost positive that it is a gunshot wound. I can't imagine how an car could have done that. When you consider how far away from the heart/lung area that hit is, it's just another reminder of what can be left behind with careless shot selection.

Yes Sir. Its not broke and its a big anchor dragging behind him when trying to run. It will get stuck on branches and bushes while being fun down by a yote or such. Good point on the cold sapping his energy this winter while he tries to get around. Sad.

How many seconds do you think it took to get that wound?

Yes Sir. Its not broke and its a big anchor dragging behind him when trying to run. It will get stuck on branches and bushes while being fun down by a yote or such. Good point on the cold sapping his energy this winter while he tries to get around. Sad.

How many seconds do you think it took to get that wound?

It's a picture that I would like to see included in our hunter safety training. In fact a video of the pathetic stumbling around as that critter tries to move around would make a very important point about potential results of careless shooting if it were presented to hunter training classes.

• Like 1