Browning BAR .308 Accuracy issues

Another possible solution is to hand load for it. Work up a custom load for it. Does the BAR have a BOSS option? I have a .270 ABOLT with a BOSS on it, I don't use the muzzle break, i use the non muzzle break option and I can really dial in all factory produced ammunition. 

It stinks to purchase an expensive gun rifle and have accuracy issues with it!

Buy a tikka!!!!! Don't waste your money on firearms that are now made in Japan.

Since the Japanese are noted for some of the highest QC in the world, what is your logic?

I don't have a problem buying Japanese or (Western) European made stuff since either have a higher wage scale than the USA. I don't feel like I'm cutting my own throat when I support a higher standard of living than what is currently prevalent in the USA.

The Japanese have a Constitutional right to collective bargaining so their wages are quite high & deservidly so given their high quality work.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Well supposedly Cabela's distributer has a rifle for me. Not sure how much longer this is going to take. Some of you guys I wonder if you read my post at all. I would not be complaining about 3" groups at 100 yds at all. I understood that buying a semiauto rifle I was not going to be putting rounds on top of eachother at 100 yds. But 4" to 6" groups at 50 yds is unacceptable. I never even tried shooting the rifle at 100 yds. I don't think the rounds would land on the paper.

Well, I changed from 165 grain to 180 but got a worse pattern @ 100 yds.  About 3-4".  Semi or bolt, this darn thing should pattern better than that, period.  Maybe Browning should have considered a BOSS for this gun but you can't tell them that.  I have an old Remington 7400 in 30.06 and it holds about 1/2" pattern; I kid you not.  180 & 220 grain.

I hope anyone prospecting for a Browning BAR .308 Shorttrac is able to read this thread and make a decision not to pursue any further.  Its a let down big time.  Had I read this prior to my purchase in June 2013, I would have never bought it.

Chasing a Abolt .308 to replace it or sub it out shall I say.  The Abolts are few and far between in that caliber.

Good luck Apexer

Well supposedly Cabela's distributer has a rifle for me. Not sure how much longer this is going to take. Some of you guys I wonder if you read my post at all. I would not be complaining about 3" groups at 100 yds at all. I understood that buying a semiauto rifle I was not going to be putting rounds on top of eachother at 100 yds. But 4" to 6" groups at 50 yds is unacceptable. I never even tried shooting the rifle at 100 yds. I don't think the rounds would land on the paper.

Sorry about that, Pilgrim...   My bad..

This thread has gone on for quite awhile and there are 3 different posters reporting poor accuracy with thier BARs..

No wonder some of  us got confused... Not to mention that the microwave keeps heating up this plate in my head...And then there's the VOICES......

• Like 2

I know those VOICES in my head aren't real, but they sure have some great ideas!

Yeah , Philo....Like that little red dude with the horns and pitchfork who sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear.

Some of his ideas sound GREAT, at the MOMENT......

• Like 1

Have you tried torqueing the forend/sling swivel nut to factory specs? This made my gun go from 3-4" groups at 100yds to less than an inch. It completely changed the gun and is a very common problem. I don't recall the correct torque offhand but you can google it

• 2 months later...

Well, for those of you interested, Cabela's finally received my new rifle from Browning...I just went to the gun shop to ship my old gun back and pay the firearm transfer fee and shipping that Cabela's says they are going to reimburse me for. Hopefully the new rifle will shoot great and I can finally put this issue behind me.

Well I received my new BAR from Cabela's today.....Had to go through another background check and pay another firearm transfer fee that I will hopefully be reimbursed for. (Thank you safe act) Hopefully I can get to the range ASAP, make sure this thing shoots straight and put this long story to bed.....

Any body shoot and own Tika rifle , just curious how they shoot and the craftsmanship..

If you want answers to that question you should probably start a new post......I have head nothing but good things about them but I don't own one....

I have a bar that my dad gave me,I was never impressed with the accuracy of the gun,mine is a bit older and made in Belgium,I love the gun but the best i ever got was 2 in out of it.I have killed deer with it but I got bit by the bolt action as well.I do take the Bar to the range once in awhile but it has not seen the woods in 25 years...

• 4 years later...

I've got a BAR Longtrac stalker in 30-06 and it only likes 180gr projectiles. With those loads it'll hold a 1- 2" group at 100 yds, but I shot 150gr loads as that's what I wanted to feed it but same as you, poor accuracy. I've got a Remington 700 CDL that hates anything lighter than 180 also, I'm talking pie plate groups at 100yds with 150's. But throw 180's in it and it'll shoot an inch or less, I was quite amazed at the accuracy with 180's actually. Every gun is different, I'm guessing you just got a picky one like I did.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people expect a level of accuracy that's not easily attainable by autoloaders also, a BAR is not going to shoot as accurately as a quality bolt gun. Simple as that. But then again, you don't need to be shooting sub MOA groups to kill a deer at 65yds or whatever limited range most of us shoot in NY. I've still got my BAR, killed a lot of deer with it, but every bolt gun i have will outshoot it as far as accuracy goes, am I that bothered by it? Nope. I just take the BAR when I don't expect real long shots (150yds +)...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

And no end result from new gun..assume it worked to expectations..

Wow, I can't believe I never updated this thread with the result. I just reread the whole thing because I was sure I did. Sorry about that...

Yes, I have been hunting with the new BAR and it has killed a few deer over the last 4 years including the big 9 in my avatar. It holds a group of 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 yds consistently no matter what ammo I try. While I would love this to be better it is acceptable to me. I knew purchasing an autoloader it was not going to be as accurate as a bolt gun but thought it would be a little better than that. My old Remington 600 .308 from the 60's will hold a tighter group. I still love the gun and it is what I always grab to go deer hunting.....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Wow, I can't believe I never updated this thread with the result. I just reread the whole thing because I was sure I did. Sorry about that...

Yes, I have been hunting with the new BAR and it has killed a few deer over the last 4 years including the big 9 in my avatar. It holds a group of 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 yds consistently no matter what ammo I try. While I would love this to be better it is acceptable to me. I knew purchasing an autoloader it was not going to be as accurate as a bolt gun but thought it would be a little better than that. My old Remington 600 .308 from the 60's will hold a tighter group. I still love the gun and it is what I always grab to go deer hunting.....

This is why I like it when forums do not auto lock old threads.

I would have guessed the original problem to be scope related but I guess not. I believe these MOA-range groups people claim out of semi autos to be more rare than people want to admit.

• Like 1

I have 2 BAR's.  

.243 shoots perfectly at 200 yards.    Very nice groups.  In fact, I go 400 yards on steel, no problem.

7mm-8,  sucks.   Had it worked on by a quality gun smith.   Bedded,  crowned, everything.   He can't get it to group.

I heard it's the gas system if the groups are too big.   I haven't worked on the gas system yet...