Browning BAR .308 Accuracy issues

I purchased a Browning BAR .308 last Sept at Cabela's. I have wanted one for a long time and figured with the Safe Act who knows whats next so I made the purchase. I topped it with a Nikon Prostaff with BDC and went to the range. I was very disappointed. I tried sighting the rifle in at 50 yds and had a hard time getting 3 inch groups. I tried different Ammo Brands, grains etc. Hunting season was upon us and I did take a deer with it but I limited myself to a 50 yd range due to such poor accuracy. After hunting season I played with it some more at the range and tried everything I could think of. This guns accuracy is so poor that I have not even tried it at 100 yds fearing I would miss the target. My old Remington 600 .308 that my father gave me would put the bullet through the same hole at 50 yds and easily hold less than an inch at 100 yds off my Caldwell sled. I expected the same out of a 40 year newer Browning. I gave up on the rifle and talked to the firearms manager at Cabela's and sent it back to them. They have now sent it to Browning and I am waiting on word of what is being done at this point. It really stinks when something you have wanted so long turns out to be so bad. Anyone ever run into accuracy issues with a brand new firearm? What was the result?

I have a BAR Safari in .270.  I shoots clover-leaf groups all day at 100yds with Federal fusion and Hornady North American Whitetail.  You should expect at least 1.5-2" groups at 100yrds The gun is VERY sensitive to the torque of the forend screw.  If it is too tight it effects the harmonics of the barrel and my accuracy goes from MOA to several inches at 100yds.  I believe the torque is 65in/lbs but I would double-check to be sure.  I dialed mine in and then put a small white paint mark on the screw and the ajoining wood so I knew it was torqued to the same amount each time.  I would bet the torque of the screw is the issue

These guns are known to be among the most accurate of the autoloaders

Did you try heavier or lighter projectile or stick with the same weight?

I tried Remington Core Lock 150 Grain, Remington 150 Grain FMJ, Fusion 150 Grain and 165 or 168, Barnes and Hornady can't remember what grains and some 165 grain Match ammo that my local gun store had me try. Nothing heavier. Everything I read about the BAR before the purchase was positive. I am hoping it will get straightened out. It is so bad I thought maybe it had the wrong barrel on it. Hopefully when I get it back I will be very happy with it for a long time.

Check the scope,also look at the crown of the barrel.It doesnt take much to mess it up.When you say brand new do you mean new to you or brand new never been shot?If its a used gun then maybe the barrel is leaded.If its brand new I would imagine that Browning will work it out.

Check the scope,also look at the crown of the barrel.It doesnt take much to mess it up.When you say brand new do you mean new to you or brand new never been shot?If its a used gun then maybe the barrel is leaded.If its brand new I would imagine that Browning will work it out.

Brand new (never been fired). I am hoping Browning will straighten it out. Everything I read on here, research before the purchase etc has all been positive. I am assuming a company like Browning will make it right and I will be very happy for a long time once this is straightened out.....Just aggravated that I need to go through this....

I had an issue with my Savage axis in .308 last year. i bought it and put a scope on it. i got a box of rem 180 grain ammo at Walmart...... first mistake. i went thru 2 boxes of them damn shells just trying to get 2 shots close to each other. After i fought with it i went and bought a box of 150 grain shells from bass pro. 3 shots and i was dead on. now this could have been one of 2 things. i was using too heavy grain load for the gun, or i bought junk ammo from walmart. i contacted a few friends and remmington. they all said the same thing. walmart gets the junk mismatched ammo. you can never be safe in knowing you will have a consistent box of ammo from there. be safe and buy from your local gun shop or a big chain like bass pro or cabellas. just my 2 cents but i have never had that issue since

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a Browning BAR .308 last Sept at Cabela's. I have wanted one for a long time and figured with the Safe Act who knows whats next so I made the purchase. I topped it with a Nikon Prostaff with BDC and went to the range. I was very disappointed. I tried sighting the rifle in at 50 yds and had a hard time getting 3 inch groups. I tried different Ammo Brands, grains etc. Hunting season was upon us and I did take a deer with it but I limited myself to a 50 yd range due to such poor accuracy. After hunting season I played with it some more at the range and tried everything I could think of. This guns accuracy is so poor that I have not even tried it at 100 yds fearing I would miss the target. My old Remington 600 .308 that my father gave me would put the bullet through the same hole at 50 yds and easily hold less than an inch at 100 yds off my Caldwell sled. I expected the same out of a 40 year newer Browning. I gave up on the rifle and talked to the firearms manager at Cabela's and sent it back to them. They have now sent it to Browning and I am waiting on word of what is being done at this point. It really stinks when something you have wanted so long turns out to be so bad. Anyone ever run into accuracy issues with a brand new firearm? What was the result?

what style mounts and rings were you using

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe how long of an ordeal this has become. I guess the Browning Guns smith finished with the rifle sent it to be test fired and it still will not shoot straight so it is back to the gunsmith. They told me another couple of weeks at least. I never thought this would be a 4 month soon to be 5 month ordeal. They offered me a new one and I said I am fine with that and then they told me none were available.

I cannot believe there is not another .308 BAR in the plant.  Did they say what the wait period would be till one is available?

I agree.   It sounds like they acknowledge you got a lemon.  I would push for a new gun.  I do recall hearing that browning consistently produces short.  Biekirchs didn't want to order me a BAR for that very reason.

They said they will start building them again in May and I should be able to get a new one after that. They said the will ship my rifle back to me and then when new ones are available they will swap it out. I just can't imagine what is so wrong with this rifle that they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time. Swap out the barrel or whatever. I guess I should just be glad they didn't tell me that they didn't find any problems and send it back to me. I was worried they would tell me it was my shooting and that the gun was fine.

Man, I hate to hear this and your overall ordeal. But you have to feel some sort of relief that it was the gun and not the shooter. Losing confidence in your shooting is as detrimental as having a bent barrel. Hopefully they can get a tack driver ready for you without too much more delay. I would hope that they go the extra mile in standing behind the Browning tradition and getting you straight.

I am a very loyal .308 guy as it is one of the best and versatile all around cartridges made, never selling or going without the .308 for deer sized game but .270 would be one heck of an alternative if they could deliver one of those instead . I would totally understand sticking to the .308...best of luck to you and can't wait for the future updates