Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

3rd deer down. Done for the year going to switch to hunting ducks and grouse. May if time allows go out one time between Christmas and New Years behind my house just to say I did it. We are spending Christmas in NC with my son and his wife then visiting family there.

• Like 7

Last sit with my Marlin 512 got completed this morning and no deer seen.  I killed just one very  fat, Thanksgiving-day morning  “dmp” buck with that this year.  

I’m giving my Ithaca model 37 16 gauge one last chance this afternoon, over at my parent’s place.  They haven’t been seeing much, out on the clover plot, so I’ll try and “tough it out” on my little swamp-edge hang-on stand, deep in the woods.  

That’s my normal opening day stand, but I missed that this year due to the Blizzard of 22.  I tried it on a very windy Saturday morning, the week after Thanksgiving, with nothing seen.  Hopefully, something will move thru there this evening.  

A14DAA08-0345-4995-B926-A545A94A8EAB.thumb.jpeg.4ab3b7cb5dca06bc1830f0e767d5a42a.jpeg

Next weekend, I’ll try and get out Sunday morning and Afternoon with my T/C Omega 50 cal.  That one’s already got me two deer this year, a New Year’s Day bb, and a big September “early antlerless season” doe.  

I’ll most likely be using that to try and punch one or more of my (5) remaining tags over the Holiday ML season this year. I don’t have to work at all during that this year, and I hope to hunt every day of it.  

• Like 5

Will be heading out here to the range to do a confirmatory shot (hopefully) on the muzzleloader. Should be still on from summer shooting session. Hoping that is the case as I want to get out for the PM immediately after that. Supposed to be wet rainy/melty snow. Hate those conditions but so be it.

50 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Oh boy. My big taxidermy freezer is full...I've got capes in my meat freezer and now I got a cape in my freezer hooked to the fridge LOL

Dude, this one is going on the wall for sure! Lol. It may rival David’s wide one for spread…

A10851F7-64A2-46F7-AA23-AB185AFADD1C.png

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

Shot muzzle today, all good. Gonna clean and put rifle away. Back to buck hunting in the am tomorrow. 

Mine is on too. One shot and it was dead nuts. But I did something I haven’t done in a long time. Let the gun butt up too far down my arm due to the height/angle of the rest. (We were rushing to get to the stand - turns out for good reason). When that thing went off I regretted it. I’m bruised bad lol. Dumbass.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Congrats! I don't remember how wide David's last day 12pt was?

I think 23. I can fit inside this guys spread when we hung him. In a rush since Sunday evening. But I wear 38-40” waist jeans and I could fit inside his spread without a prob. Got a couple busted times but still a stud. Let us know when freezer gets room lol. Weighed 185 field dressed.

Better pics tomorrow after work.

64DC9CE6-6E91-4FEF-89B5-CE8F6382C93A.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, phade said:

I think 23. I can fit inside this guys spread when we hung him. In a rush since Sunday evening. But I wear 38-40” waist jeans and I could fit inside his spread without a prob. Got a couple busted times but still a stud. Let us know when freezer gets room lol. Weighed 185 field dressed.

Better pics tomorrow after work.

64DC9CE6-6E91-4FEF-89B5-CE8F6382C93A.jpeg

I thought it was around that. His was one of the widest I've ever mounted, though I did get one this past bow season from a forum member here that stretched the tape to 25 3/8. He's pretty heavy for this late. Looking forward to the pics. Will let you know about when my freezer space gets opened up. My tanning guy is only taking 6 capes at a time every 2 weeks...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

Haven't been on here much lately between kids and work. Also limited my hunting time quite a bit. Last Friday I shot a nice PA doe. last evening I shot a Doe in NY at 3pm in the snow. Ended up with 6 doe and a small buck this season (between both states). I don't generally hunt late seasons, but if the weather is perfect, i have buck tags for NY and PA late season. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

index.jpg

I shot a Doe at gun season that was it. I saw so many bucks during bow season. I have to figure out a new approach for tagging one or two. I passed on some nice shooters but probably should of taken one then hunt with crossbow the rest of the season Nov 1 on. Here is the kicker.....I did not see one buck during gun season, not one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Hit a nice buck in thick brush at 730 am. He laid down 2 times within 50 yards. Only small spec of blood in 2nd bed. Just jumped out of bed again about 150 yards. Again small spec of blood. Semi broad sided. Blood appears to be from mouth based on bed. No blood in the snow while tracking.

Could be gut shot. Bullets deflect easy.
Can you circle around in front and try and shoot it again?

Edited by suburbanfarmer

49 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Hit a nice buck in thick brush at 730 am. He laid down 2 times within 50 yards. Only small spec of blood in 2nd bed. Just jumped out of bed again about 150 yards. Again small spec of blood. Semi broad sided. Blood appears to be from mouth based on bed. No blood in the snow while tracking.

That seems odd. Track dragging or lopsided? Blood in snow is hugely exaggerated too. A teaspoon looks like a 1/4 cup worth in snow.

Bedding twice with minimal blood is tough. Hard to make a decision and have high confidence in it. Maybe try letting it rest for a few hours? Two beds jumped is not a great sign, objectively speaking.

• Like 3

I am thinking he was probably hit back behind the diaphragm, if there was no exit wound there will not be much blood. Laying down as much as he is I suspect he has a bad wound internally, give him some time and keep after him. You might have to jump him up and kill him.

Al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phade said:

That seems odd. Track dragging or lopsided? Blood in snow is hugely exaggerated too. A teaspoon looks like a 1/4 cup worth in snow.

Bedding twice with minimal blood is tough. Hard to make a decision and have high confidence in it. Maybe try letting it rest for a few hours? Two beds jumped is not a great sign, objectively speaking.

bedded without much blood has me thinking guts. 

Edited by Five Seasons
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Five Seasons said:

bedded without much blood has me thinking guts. 

Sure, I would agree. But with a gun on snow, very little blood is concerning. Even with a through and through gut/intestine or a one holer. We’re not talking about a bow shot here.