Display license?

34NY

I'm with Belo on this. It is a stoopid rule and 'compliance' happens to be one of my least favorite words. It is the language of slavery and subservience. There is no logical reason I need to wear a government mandated identity tag in my own woods. I already know who I am.

I found something we can agree on ..

We always had to have back tags back where I grew up.  Having parts of the state not requiring wearing back tags is odd to me.  To me anyone out in the woods carrying a firearm without a back tag is a poacher until proven otherwise.

Yes changing layers or jackets as the season weather changes can be a drag to move the back tag around.  But that is why you can get duplicate back tags for free and the holders are only a couple of bucks.

1 for hunter orange vest/jacket

1 for camo jacket for turkey/archery season

1 for waist pack harness or daypack

Has anybody ever heard an explanation as to why it makes sense to require the display of the back tag in the Southern Zone while it isn't required in the Northern Zone. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all, but I am curious how the DEC justifies the difference. Is it one of those politically inspired nonsensical regulations?

Wondering the same thing

I basically question the purpose of the back tag. How often does the back tag actually play into the arrest and conviction of any game law violators? And if it is indeed a significant help in law enforcement, what is it about the Northern Zone that negates that usefulness. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? Maybe we should start a movement to get rid of the thing entirely. It's not a huge earth-shattering issue, but back tags really do seem to be more of a pain-in-the-neck gimmick to cause tickets rather than something that serves a useful purpose.

• Like 1

In the back of my mind I THINK the back tag had something to do with farmers being able to identify hunters on their property, not sure.  Just like back in the day when there was no Sunday hunting, I THINK that had something to do with the farmers also.  Some of you old timers might remember something like that.

In the back of my mind I THINK the back tag had something to do with farmers being able to identify hunters on their property, not sure.  Just like back in the day when there was no Sunday hunting, I THINK that had something to do with the farmers also.  Some of you old timers might remember something like that.

That could be. I've been around for a long time and have never had it explained to me. In fact it was just a few years ago that I found out that it is not required in the Northern Zone. From the standpoint of practicality, I have got to say that if someone doesn't want you to see their backtag, it really is not all that easy to read unless they are posing for you. I really have never heard of any impacts of backtags other than as something to ticket hunters for. So if they are supposed to be some form of protection for farmers, I doubt very much that they are working....lol.

We always had to have back tags back where I grew up.  Having parts of the state not requiring wearing back tags is odd to me.  To me anyone out in the woods carrying a firearm without a back tag is a poacher until proven otherwise.

Yes changing layers or jackets as the season weather changes can be a drag to move the back tag around.  But that is why you can get duplicate back tags for free and the holders are only a couple of bucks.

1 for hunter orange vest/jacket

1 for camo jacket for turkey/archery season

1 for waist pack harness or daypack

And by proven otherwise, I will gladly open my pack and present it to you.. geez. I dont think anyone here is arguing that you shouldn't have your tags on you, just the silliness of having to display them. and if you're on my property I could care less if you have a tag or not. You have bigger problems, you're trespassing.

After talking to a local dec officer, the reason for the tag number being displayed was anyone could walk up to you and ask for your license while hunting.  With it displayed, it reduced the number of people asking as the antis did a stint where they would walk up ask for your license walk away and ask again.  Hence harass you while hunting.  They targeted the southern zone on opening days as a lot of people went to the woods including a lot from the northern zone to fill doe permits.  with less hunters in the north, it was not a problem .  Now that hunter harassment is illegal, they do not enforce the law and they have tried a few times now to get it removed from the laws.  They also have the concern of a safety issue.  People will try to get t he numbers at a distance through their scopes

I think the way the law reads, is that if you're not wearing it where required, the presumption is that you're unlicensed and can be ticketed as such regardless of whether or not you have your license and backtag somewhere on you.....I have a copy of the ECL law and will take a look when I get a chance to confirm if anyone is interested.

After talking to a local dec officer, the reason for the tag number being displayed was anyone could walk up to you and ask for your license while hunting.  With it displayed, it reduced the number of people asking as the antis did a stint where they would walk up ask for your license walk away and ask again.  Hence harass you while hunting.  They targeted the southern zone on opening days as a lot of people went to the woods including a lot from the northern zone to fill doe permits.  with less hunters in the north, it was not a problem .  Now that hunter harassment is illegal, they do not enforce the law and they have tried a few times now to get it removed from the laws.  They also have the concern of a safety issue.  People will try to get t he numbers at a distance through their scopes

So...........back in the 30's, 40's and 50's there were anti hunters and they were harassing hunters?  I'm gonna hang the BS flag on THIS one.

Oh heck, I can't find the BS flag. 

So...........back in the 30's, 40's and 50's there were anti hunters and they were harassing hunters?  I'm gonna hang the BS flag on THIS one.

Oh heck, I can't find the BS flag. 

yeah, I don't buy that one either........way back in the 30's they issued pins to be worn.

Makes no sense that half the state has to wear back tags and the other half doesn't... I can't think of a good reason why wearing a back tag in the southern zone is any different than wearing it in the north. I always have it, but never wear it. For some reason though I have a gazillion of those pin on tag holders in camo and blaze orange... not sure why I have them or why I keep them.

• Like 4

Oh boy, yet another popular and logical bill that died within the NYS Enviromental Committee....?

Agree with the majority - makes no sense to display it, only have it on your person. How stupid would I have to be to have an issue with a hunter and try to get close enough to record their backtag number...? Unless I were an ECO "packing heat"!

• 3 weeks later...

Makes no sense that half the state has to wear back tags and the other half doesn't... I can't think of a good reason why wearing a back tag in the southern zone is any different than wearing it in the north. I always have it, but never wear it. For some reason though I have a gazillion of those pin on tag holders in camo and blaze orange... not sure why I have them or why I keep them.

Simple answer: NY is screwed up